By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Delboy

Here is a list of all the postings Delboy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Brush with disaster! (not for the squeemish)
12/09/2011 16:40:16
Sorry to say I have also been there - twice now!!!! Bloody hurts doesn't it
Thread: A Box fit for a future King & Queen
03/05/2011 19:52:59
I wish I had that level of skill - it really is beautiful
Thread: Corner display cabinet
03/05/2011 19:48:00
That looks the business Mailee. Do you hand paint or spray?
Thread: B & Q Bandsaw
23/11/2010 16:52:13
As long as a 3/8 blade sits comfortably on the tyre and does not hang off either front or back, you should be OK
Thread: Planing and thicknessing
23/11/2010 01:00:44
Oliver, I really think it is best to get them done professionally if there is anyone near you that provides a sharpening service. It costs me about £6 for a pair. I tried myself fairly recently and made a bit of a mess of one of the blades. They are not easy to do. I guess the professionals have all the right gear for ensuring angles and that the blades are parallel across their entire length. If you do work out a decent way, let us know. 
22/11/2010 19:25:04
Had to join the comments regarding planer blades. I set mine to the outfeed table by putting a small piece of wood sitting on the outfeed table and passing over the cutter head. Turn the cutter head by hand and see if the blade moves the piece of wood. I try to end up with a movement of about 3 mm (no more) and by placing a pencil mark or two on the wood you check for the same movement at various points across the width of the blade and repeat with the other blade(s).
Any variation means adjusting the blade setting until you get it right. takes time but worth it and it ensures that you minimize and chance of snipe in planing mode. 
Thread: Question for Big Al - drawing
30/07/2010 15:36:53
thanks Guys - I'll give it a go - it looks interesting
Delboy
Thread: A box for her indoors
29/07/2010 18:12:56
I'm with Ron on this. That looks really good. The corners look mitred and so well done. Are the plinth corners mitred - if so, they also look extremely good. was the relief pattern "simply" routered?

Thread: Question for Big Al - drawing
29/07/2010 18:04:57
Big Al

I just saw your "sketch" for the 3 way joint in an outdoor project. What software package did you use to produce that. It looks quite good and certainly beats freehand and scanning or daft things like that.  

Anyone else got any tips on drawing software?
Delboy

Edited By Delboy on 29/07/2010 18:06:39

Thread: Hall way Table
23/05/2010 12:28:55
Well I think that is really classy and looks terrific. Well done
Thread: Sharpening
27/04/2010 18:50:36
Thanks Big Al
That's very interesting. I live only a few miles from Hamilton Edge Tools and up to now have used them but I thought having the machine I may as well try using it - that is until I saw the cost of the jig. Based on this and your comment I think I will stick with Hamilton (mmmm I wonder how they do them)
Delboy 
26/04/2010 18:29:45
Thanks Marc
Common sense prevails but in my previous attempts (manual) I have probably messed up a few knives. Still based on your comments a cautious approach angle will be tried.
Delboy 
26/04/2010 17:45:07
This has always been a bit of a problem area for me. Having tried all sorts of methods with varing results (most not all that good) I have now invested in a Scheppach wetstone system (I couldn't really afford the Tormek). Its still early days yet so not sure if this will improve my efforts but does anyone know what angle would be best for knives (kitchen type for her indoors).
I have bought the "long knife" jig but also on this subject I see the planer knife jig is a whopping £138. I cannot use the kitchen knife jig for these (8 inches) it does not hold the blades securely so do I have any options or is it a case of "cough up"!!
Any advice on this and kitchen knife angles would be welcome.
Thread: Writing Bureau
25/04/2010 18:25:12
Thanks Mailee
Yes I must admit I hadn't of doing a thin lipping which is a good point 
25/04/2010 15:17:49
Not sure if this is the correct location for this post but I am thinking of making a writing bureau as my next project. My problem is it will sit next to a teak wall unit and therefore I would like to consider a similar look/finish.
I guess availabilty and cost rules out solid wood so am thinking along the lines of veneered board (apologies to all you purists out there). However the problem as always is edging. Hardwood lipping always shows up as such because you can never match grain & colour etc so am unsure how this would look.
The alternative would be the stick on edging which would overcome the above problem but may not be ideal and result in other problem areas - certainly would rule out any profile edgings etc which may result in a boring "boxy" look.
So basically has anyone ever made such a bureau out of veneered board and if so, what did you do?
Any advice comments would be very welcome. 
Thread: Fire Surround
31/08/2009 20:35:18
I am in the process of making a solid walnut fire surround for a living flame gas fire.

My usual preference for hardwood is probably an oil finish (eg Danish) with wax polish but wondered if anyone had any poissible comments or advice regarding a suitable finish.

Many Thanks
Delwyn Cowles
Pontypool
Gwent

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Triton
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact