By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Stone

Here is a list of all the postings David Stone has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: display cabinet
27/12/2009 12:50:05
What would be the best design for the top of an open display cabinet to go on the wall.
What I'm hoping to achieve is a cabinet that doesn't attract too much dust on the items inside ?
Thread: Rust
21/12/2009 13:01:52
Since the cold weather, I have not had the opportunity to take time out & spend time in my shed, enjoying my favourite passtime.
When I did manage to get there, I found the cold on the outside & the warmth of the shed had caused a lot of condensation & the bed of my lathe now has bits of rust on it.
Can anyone suggest a good rust remover & rust protector for use on a cast bed, that I can use ? 
Thread: Welcome to the turning section
18/10/2007 19:04:00

Hi Andrew, I've heard the myford is a very good lathe, unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of using one. The only drawback I can think it may have when turning larger items is the amount of shake because it doesn't have a solid base.

I've only been turning for the last three years so I'm no expert. But a couple of years ago I upgraded my Record lathe & bought a Wivamac DB801 which I can fully recomend, I think it would be worth your while checking it out. The web address is www.toolpost.co.uk/ & the before & after service is excellent.   

Thread: Thread Chasing
25/03/2008 20:43:00

Can anyone please give me some advice or tips for successful thread chasing, or maybe recommend a good book / dvd I could buy.

I've tried a few times but my threads just tend to be grooves in the wood or when I do get a thread started I'm having great difficulty finishing it because the second & third run seem to overlap the first.

Leaving me quite frustrated & a piece of wood in front of me which looks as if one of the dogs has had a chew on it.    

Thread: box picture for web.jpg
26/12/2007 18:08:00

Nice box.

Perhaps next time you could make a beautiful box by carving a cockerel on the lid ?

Thread: Welcome to the turning section
18/10/2007 19:04:00

Hi Andrew, I've heard the myford is a very good lathe, unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of using one. The only drawback I can think it may have when turning larger items is the amount of shake because it doesn't have a solid base.

I've only been turning for the last three years so I'm no expert. But a couple of years ago I upgraded my Record lathe & bought a Wivamac DB801 which I can fully recomend, I think it would be worth your while checking it out. The web address is www.toolpost.co.uk/ & the before & after service is excellent.   

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact