By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JohnMcM

Here is a list of all the postings JohnMcM has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: TS side extension table.
01/04/2009 17:03:09
Hi, I also made an extension wing for my SIP TS to incorporate a router. I also added a hinged outfeed table see my pics under my username
Cheers
John
Thread: Plans and cut list
05/03/2009 18:59:36
I highly recommend Google Sketchup which is a free computer drawing package particularly suitable for woodworking. Whats's more you can download loads of free plans (including workbenches) from the Google Sketchup 3d Warehouse. If you are not familiar with why Sketchup is great for woodworkers watch the free video tutorial on drawing a bookcase here:

Cheers
John
Thread: In this month's Good Woodworking
30/12/2008 10:34:00
Phone Record and explain the problem. They should be able to help.
Thread: Tablesaws
29/12/2008 15:25:00

Darron, I also have the SIP 10" cast iron and am very happy with it. But if I had £800 I'd look long and hard at these.

Lyndhurst T30

They also take a dado stack (without any modification) though I realize they are controversial but not illegal as some people claim. See here

Great British Woodshop

Good Luck

John

Thread: cutting list calculations
22/12/2008 11:28:00

Joppy, you can get a free programm to use with Sketchup (also free) here

Cutlist

Goodluck

John

Thread: Router/Shaper
11/12/2008 14:02:00

Guess he means this.

Here

Having never seen or used it I can't really comment. The idea is good though. I think mini shapers are quite popular in the states.

Cheers

John
Thread: Mobile Base
09/11/2008 11:22:00

Yep, I use the cheaper Axminster one. Works a treat on my heavy cast iron tablesaw.

This one

Cheers

John

Thread: Dust Extraction
26/10/2008 11:42:00

Thanks Keith, I am really loking forward to the article being in the same boat. I want a cyclone but can't justify the expense. I notice Oneida are increasing their product range all the time so they might creep into the hobby end at some stage.

New products

UK products

Cheers

John

24/10/2008 18:25:00

Keith how are you getting on with cyclone ducted system? Have you finished it, tested it etc. Is it worth the hastle?

Cheers

John

Thread: sharpening
21/10/2008 16:08:00

Bonjour Barrie,

The hardest thing about woodturning is sharpening.  Some ideas See here

I also found this very helpful

Sharpening podcast

Good luck

John

Thread: Cyclone extraction for UK
14/10/2008 22:15:00

Actually there is a cracking review here

PDF review

Cheers

John

Thread: HVLP Spray systems?
09/08/2008 11:38:00

Check out the Earlex video review here

Music to my Earlex

Cheers

John

ps Screwfix sell it for about £175 

Thread: When routing housings in router table, what extraction works
26/06/2008 09:44:00

Thanks for your replies gents. I realise when cutting housings away from the fence you effectively create a barrier between the cutter and the normal source of extraction. I had not thought about an underneath tunnel. Great idea. Might have to experiment with that. I like the T square, guide bush method. I just chose the table method because of the incremental adjustment provided by the saw fence and the large support area of the table.

Here are the piccies, hope this works!

First, the standard setup

/sites/5/images/member_albums/4865/Router_Fence_004.jpg

Next, away from fence. Dust shoots out along table and is mostly caught by Mr Heath Robinson

/sites/5/images/member_albums/4865/Router_Fence_002.jpg

/sites/5/images/member_albums/4865/Router_Fence_001.jpg

I'll have to hoover up now. Can't have all that dust.

Cheers

John

Thread: Table Saw's
26/06/2008 08:24:00

Nigel, Rutlands and Axminster are the 2 main suppliers for all things woodworking including T slot. Watch though that Rutlands always charge postage but Axminsters is free on orders over £45 except heavy machinery.

Rutlands

Axminster

Cheers

John

Thread: When routing housings in router table, what extraction works
25/06/2008 22:50:00

Hi, I have found the extraction on my home made router table is excellent when the bit is closely surrounded by the apperture in the fence. When cutting housings though , the bit is some distance from the fence and that method of extraction can't be used. Connecting the extractor to the router itself underneath the table doesn't work. The bit shoots the dust at some speed out of the housing and off the left hand side of the table. I've resorted to fitting the hose onto a large food container and clamping it to a roller stand off to the left of the table in the line of fire of the dust stream.

What does everybody else do? Any better ideas appreciated. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

ps I've posted this on UKworkshop as well, hope you don't mind cross pollination!
Cheers

Thread: Table Saw's
25/06/2008 22:29:00

Mailee I think the arbour extension that Woodford  sell is 30mm so would fit the 12" SIP.

Cheers

John 

22/06/2008 11:10:00

I still recommend the SIP. Built like an outhouse, heavy solid and accurate. It will rip 2 - 3" hardwood all day. It's also quiet and powerful. For £460 it's amazing value. The Axminster is the same but has a big sliding table. (£600 odd). Why do you need to spend a £1k?

Cheers

John

18/06/2008 20:14:00
Highly recommend the SIP if you don't need the sliding table, the Axminster if you do.
Thread: Dust extraction
18/06/2008 17:43:00

Oneida have just introduced a new pod cyclone for £357+vat which you use with your own blower. May interest anyone wishing to make a cyclone

pod

Cheers

John 

14/06/2008 00:48:00

Ben, have any of your woodwork mags got any plans to review the benefits of cyclones. Are they a practical solution in the UK? Do they work? Are there any low budget alternatives etc. This would make a cracking article not yet covered by any of the competition. Just a thought.

Cheers

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact