By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Warren

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Warren has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: August issue Woodworker
14/07/2008 14:28:00

It's only fair given that I had some pretty negative feedback for last months edition that I say what I feel about  this months:

Last month's went into the "read" pile after a day, I'm still reading this months!

I too miss the readers gallery, but I thought that generally the new look was good, the quality of the articles was excellent, and the projects all looked good and interesting.

As a hobbyist (even one who owns a Tormek) I was especially interested in the saturday projects. 

Well done Ralph, Ben and all the contributors. 

Thanks

Dave

Thread: July Edition of "The Woodworker"
16/06/2008 20:38:00
baz wrote (see)

The thing is, if magazines like the Woodworker don`t cover these new machines, cheap & expensive alike, then we don`t know whats out in the market place & how good they are.

The readership of the WW is wide & varied & so is their expenditure on tools, so without these reviews we would be buying in the dark.

I personally really like the tool review section, more power to your elbow Ben.

Cheers Ben.

Baz,

I agree 100%, I subscribe to this and several other magazines, and tool reviews is one of the reasons.

Dave

16/06/2008 14:39:00

Thanks for the swift reply Ben, I do want to make it clear that it was just the News and Test section I was commenting on, elsewhere the Magazine was fine, as a wood turner, I am especially pleased you haven't just allowed this section of the magazine to fade away.

I do understand your points and should the budget become availabel I'd love to give both tools a go - and I will make sure you get my feedback

I really don't have a problem with the reviews being complimentary, and of course you shouldn't make negative comments where there is no justification. Maybe I read them as "gushing" because my impressions about the number of pages given over to both manufacturers.

Regards

Dave 

16/06/2008 13:07:00

I got July's copy the other day and I have to say the news and test sections just felt like reading a bunch of adverts

With a full spread from Bosch (followed by the Bosch GTM12 review in test) , and a visit to Festool (followed by the OF2200 review) there seems a lot of manufacturer specific news, then the reviews were very complimentary, almost gushing, it made for slightly uncomfortable reading.

I like magazines, as I don't get as much time as I would like (do any of us?) in the workshop due to other commitments (such as a 2 hour commute), magazines give me a sort of vicarious pleasure. And I know that you have to look after the advertisers, but maybe to make this feel a little less conspicuous youcould have spread the articles over 2 months?

Thanks

Dave

Thread: August issue Woodworker
14/07/2008 14:28:00

It's only fair given that I had some pretty negative feedback for last months edition that I say what I feel about  this months:

Last month's went into the "read" pile after a day, I'm still reading this months!

I too miss the readers gallery, but I thought that generally the new look was good, the quality of the articles was excellent, and the projects all looked good and interesting.

As a hobbyist (even one who owns a Tormek) I was especially interested in the saturday projects. 

Well done Ralph, Ben and all the contributors. 

Thanks

Dave

Thread: July Edition of "The Woodworker"
16/06/2008 20:38:00
baz wrote (see)

The thing is, if magazines like the Woodworker don`t cover these new machines, cheap & expensive alike, then we don`t know whats out in the market place & how good they are.

The readership of the WW is wide & varied & so is their expenditure on tools, so without these reviews we would be buying in the dark.

I personally really like the tool review section, more power to your elbow Ben.

Cheers Ben.

Baz,

I agree 100%, I subscribe to this and several other magazines, and tool reviews is one of the reasons.

Dave

16/06/2008 14:39:00

Thanks for the swift reply Ben, I do want to make it clear that it was just the News and Test section I was commenting on, elsewhere the Magazine was fine, as a wood turner, I am especially pleased you haven't just allowed this section of the magazine to fade away.

I do understand your points and should the budget become availabel I'd love to give both tools a go - and I will make sure you get my feedback

I really don't have a problem with the reviews being complimentary, and of course you shouldn't make negative comments where there is no justification. Maybe I read them as "gushing" because my impressions about the number of pages given over to both manufacturers.

Regards

Dave 

16/06/2008 13:07:00

I got July's copy the other day and I have to say the news and test sections just felt like reading a bunch of adverts

With a full spread from Bosch (followed by the Bosch GTM12 review in test) , and a visit to Festool (followed by the OF2200 review) there seems a lot of manufacturer specific news, then the reviews were very complimentary, almost gushing, it made for slightly uncomfortable reading.

I like magazines, as I don't get as much time as I would like (do any of us?) in the workshop due to other commitments (such as a 2 hour commute), magazines give me a sort of vicarious pleasure. And I know that you have to look after the advertisers, but maybe to make this feel a little less conspicuous youcould have spread the articles over 2 months?

Thanks

Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact