By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Big Al

Here is a list of all the postings Big Al has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Creative Woodturner
03/10/2007 18:14:00
Rather than trying to design your own pieces, or simply copying other peoples work, I always try to find inspiration from other peoples work, and also the wood sometimes speaks to me. For example, a few years ago I went to yandles and saw a zebrano board, that I knew instantly would make a beautiful table. With the zebrano having such a striking look to it, I knew that the design had to be contemporary and so I drew inspiration from a shaker design. Having just looked at the web site, and the cost of the software, personally I would email the web site and ask if they do a 14 day trial package. If they do then you can at least try before you buy.
Thread: mdf kitchen
02/10/2007 05:30:00
Yes it does look good, when I built the kitchen the birch ply cost about £33 per sheet (inc vat), and one advantage was that using my leigh dovetail jig, all of the cabinets are of dovetail construction.
01/10/2007 18:00:00
I dont think that it would be too heavy for the walls, but I would steer away from using the plastic adjustable wall mounts. Also use a water resistant MDF for your cabinets. When I made my kitchen I used 18mm birch faced plywood, but this costs a lot more than MDF.
Thread: floaty2.jpg
30/09/2007 18:50:00
Not sure yet, I am planning on making some bedside cabinets next year, and will possibly base the design on the floaty cabinet.
Thread: Hand v Power Tools
27/09/2007 21:23:00
I love to work with hand tools, even though I am a wood machinist, I have access to cnc and traditional machinery, and have my own collection of machinery and hand tools. Likewise there is a lot to be said when the only sound that you can hear is the whoosh of a hand plane and the radio or the sound of birds singing Yes machinery can make you lazish, but it does speed up the process of milling up your timber.
Thread: walnuttable.jpg
27/09/2007 18:34:00
Hi Steve I dont have any plans as it was inspired by a table that my brother bought at a car boot sale. Over the weekend I will take some measurements and I will post them on this forum for you. I am happy that you like my table. Big Al.
Thread: Pillar Drill
21/09/2007 17:36:00
There's no real rule of thumb. I would run the sander on a medium speed, however if you find that the drum burns the wood then slow the speed down. Jet's benchtop oscillating bobbin sander runs at 1425 rpm, which should give you an idea of speed. As for speeds of drill bits, this will depend on the type of drill bit and the size of bit. Sometimes manufacturers of drill bits give speeds in their catalogues. The larger the bit the slower you should run the drill, and the slower speeds usually provide more torque which is more ideally suited for larger bits.
Thread: P.U.glue.
18/09/2007 17:20:00
Prevention is better than cure, buy yourself some disposable silicon gloves and put these on when you us the P.U. and when finished, throw them away. disposable silicon gloves are available from machine mart, screwfix and a box of 100 costs around £5.50. Click this link http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331066&ts=32330&id=17339 for more info. Alan
Thread: Formica sheeting?
17/09/2007 21:11:00
Hi Chris I dont know where you are but I have just searched on www.yell.com for laminates around Swindon and it came back with Thermopal UK, 10, Webbs Way, Malmesbury, Wiltshire SN16 9UP, Tel: 01666 822142. If you are in a different part of the country try what I did. Hope this helps. Alan.
Thread: Biscuit jointers ~ good or bad?
15/09/2007 15:58:00
Biscuit jointers have, like any tool, their uses and limitations. They are not a be all and end all tool, but they are very good, quick and easy to use. I usually use mine when joining boards together. I prefer to use traditional joints for carcass and drawer construction.
Thread: Timber sources
15/09/2007 15:52:00
My favourite place is Oscar Windebank & Son Ltd The Bassetts, Box, Corsham, Wiltshire SN13 8ER Tel: 01225 742929 They are good for american and european timbers, and are very reasonable, but do not offer a machining service. All timber is sold by the cubic foot, and prices do not include vat. Only open monday to friday.
Thread: Instructions
15/09/2007 12:58:00
Hi I think that lyndhurst machinery need to address the issue of appalling instructions and as you quite rightly state it is a cop out by lyndhurst machinery to direct you to axminsters web site. Personally i believe that no woodworking machinery should be sold to anyone that has little or no experience with woodworking machinery, and that machinery course should be made available to anyone wishing to purchase a machine. I am an apprentice served woodmachinist, and over the years have witnessed machinery being used dangerously, though luckily I have never witnessed an accident where somebody has lost a part of themselves. When I was an apprentice, one of the machinists, with over 30 years experience had an accident which resulted in him losing most of his fingers on his right hand on a surface planer. He also had 15 months of work as a result of the accident. I found this web site recently, and although it relates to table saws, and unfortunatly this saw is not available in the uk yet, it is a step in the right direction. Click on this link and have a look at the frankfurter video http://www.sawstop.com/how-it-works-videos.htm
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact