By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Big Al

Here is a list of all the postings Big Al has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Router repair.
02/10/2013 17:05:30

Bill have you tried axminster power tools. Other than that I can only suggest a local independant tool shop.

Al

Thread: Self-taught or Vocational Training
30/09/2013 17:06:35

I had an apprenticeship in machine woodworking, the furniture making side of things I have taught myself, and I am still learning.

You can learn a lot from TV show's, like the new yankee workshop, great british workshop, etc.. Magazines and books will also help, and there are various you tube video's on woodworking. The only thing I would say is not to treat any of them as bible's, just because one woodworker use's machinery and power tool's to achieve their end result doe's not mean that you have to. And likewise there are many advocates' that lean more toward's hand tool's. You have to find which work's best for you and only practise will give you that.

Al

Thread: Depth of material in tanalised timber
29/09/2013 09:16:32

It really depends on what your looking for. Personally I like heavily figured timber, I cant stand straight characterless timber.

If you want an interesting piece for your mantle piece then look for a character grade English timber. Species such as oak, ash, elm and pippy oak can be very interesting.

Al

Thread: turkey napkin rings
09/09/2013 16:51:20
Posted by Derek Lane on 06/09/2013 21:39:53:

Hi Dave very novel idea simple yet very inventive. well done

Posted by Big Al on 06/09/2013 17:36:53:

in 3 1/2 months time they will be awesome.

Al

Not from a Turkey's point oif view.

Ha ha ha, very funny derek

Al

06/09/2013 17:36:53

in 3 1/2 months time they will be awesome.

Al

Thread: setting up a teaching workshop
02/09/2013 21:11:56

Elektra beckum, or metabo as they are now known, are fairly good enough for a serious hobbyist/semi professional, but for a teaching workshop it would be inadequate.

You will need to look at sedwick at the very least, and probably 3 phase machinery at that.

Also look at capacities of the machines you are thinking off, the footprint of the machine including working space around the machine and you will also need adequate dust extraction.

Al

Thread: finished at last
30/08/2013 16:55:24

Something to be proud of Ian, I would be.

Al

Thread: I don't normally
23/08/2013 18:05:35

The more I look at it the more I like it.

Its always good to see arty woodwork.

Al

Thread: belt sander
15/08/2013 18:56:33

You can make a craddle for any belt sander and mount it upside down.

big als phone_000099.jpg

A couple of bits of softwood and some MDF and voila!

big als phone_000098.jpg

Al

Thread: Oak door trimming
14/08/2013 21:14:43

It looks to me that you have been asked to fit an imperial size door into a metric sized frame. Before attempting to cut the door down I suggest that you measure the height of the door and measure the height of the frame.

If what I believe is true then the door frame will be approximately 60mm higher than the door. If this is the case then I would be inclined to make a new door to fit the frame, or pay a visit to either a builders merchant or howden's as they may be able to supply a door of the correct size.

You could cut down the door to say 810mm and add 5mm oak lippings, and if there is a 60mm difference in height then you could pack out the frame, but this will take quite some time and it will never look right.

Al

Thread: Making a workshop in your back garden to make money
10/08/2013 19:40:36

I can only agree with Dave and Derek. I built up about half of my gear at birthday and Christmas. I have also gone down the self employed route and acquired the majority of the rest of my gear through my business. A few year's ago I tried to price the equipment that I own with regards to insurance, and estimated that it would cost me around 15k to replace everything, today it would probably be around 20k. It is an expensive hobby, but I wouldn't change it for the world. Oh, and it took me around 10 years to build up my kit.

From my own experiences I wouldn't bother trying to build a business again. I now only make piece's for myself and family. It give's me great satisfaction, a free reign of the design rope's and also the ability to try new idea's.

Also another problem that I encountered when I attended craft show's as a seller is that most people are only looking at smaller item's that are impulse purchases, I never sold larger items.

Al

Thread: Ground to a halt
07/08/2013 17:33:21

I know how you feel wolfie, I got laid off in march and until 4 weeks ago wasn't working. Managed to catch up with a load of jobs around the house, I have started a chest of drawers and had just started decorating. The new job requires a fair bit of overtime which is great for the bank balance, but with only one full day off a week, I am just to knackered to do anything.

Oh well, I will get round to it when to o/t dies off, until then....................

Al

Thread: Garden Bench
03/08/2013 13:39:27

I sometimes find that plans aren't accurate enough, some are better than others though. I also like to have the freedom to be artistic and usually go with the flow.

Al

02/08/2013 16:22:48

Sorry I cant help you with the plans, but cant you make a new using the old one for dimensions and patterns?

Al

Thread: Table saw dust extraction
31/07/2013 05:35:44

I too have the same saw and have the same problem and from post's on this forum we are not alone.

If you take off the left hand cover from the side of the machine you can see that the open box around the blade that the extraction is mounted too is inadequate. The main problem that I can see is that the blade isn't covered enough and that the saw dust just gets ejected and lands underneath the machine.

I have tried to add some plywood to compensate but the box rises and falls with the blade so it's not that easy. As I only use my saw occasionally I tend to move it out of the way once every few months and clean up before putting it back.

Al

Thread: wooden chopping board
28/07/2013 21:29:30

I made some chopping boards from beech worktop offcuts about 3 years ago, never treated them with anything and they are both fine. As Ron stated, leave them as nature intended.

Al

Thread: changed loyalties
14/07/2013 14:10:25

The only thing that festool makes that is any good is the domino jointer.

One of the guy's that I used to work with owned a dewalt drill and impact driver set with 1.5ah 14.4v Li on batteries and they last for ages.

Al

Thread: Timber costs
09/07/2013 07:33:46

Hi James

When you see hardwood that is sold by the cubic foot it is usually rough sawn, so you need to bear this in mind especially if you don't have a planer. Some companies sell hardwoods by the running metre and these generally tend to be planed all round, but you will pay more for it.

Al

Thread: Saw blade vibration
08/07/2013 08:34:58

The only thing's I can think of are that it could be are the arbour or the drive belt (if there is one fitted).

With the machine switched off and disconnected can you wobble the blade from side to side with your fingers? If so then the arbour could need tightening, or if your machine has a drive belt then this could need tensioning.

Al

07/07/2013 19:14:03

Hi John, are you using a skill saw or a bench saw?

Al

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact