By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Big Al

Here is a list of all the postings Big Al has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Japanese Style Bowl
22/02/2014 11:42:43

That's very nice, very different and practical.

Al

Thread: Fire surround
20/02/2014 17:56:06

Hi Simon

The curved uprights are box section made up from 3mm thick MDF and 3mm thick walnut veneers, but the rest of the surround, including the fronts of the uprights are all solid walnut.

Hi Bruce, many thanks for your praise, both me and the wife love it, the only criticism was from my son, he would have preferred it in oak, but I love the contrast between the walnut and the white painted brick.

Al

17/02/2014 05:36:14

I made the surround for myself, and yes, the joints were fun to cut.

Al

16/02/2014 17:53:05

Hi all, here's my latest project, a fire surround made from american black walnut and finished with french polish.

Al

Thread: Teds woodworking.com
26/01/2014 17:05:14

If you google tedswoodworking, the second result gives some good points and some bad points, click here to go to that result.

That said, my advice would be to seek out plans for a project that you are interested in making, if of course you need them in the first place.

Al

Edited By Big Al on 26/01/2014 17:05:42

Thread: Walnut box & Neat hinges
17/01/2014 17:53:48

Wow what a beautiful box Andy, am I right in thinking that the walnut is American black? Looks like a burr in the top.

What did you finish the box with?

With regards to pricing, the last time I saw boxes of this quality for sale was at a craft fair in Cirencester about 7 years ago, and the stall holder, of whom I believe was the maker of the boxes was charging between £200 and £300 each. I don't know if this falls into the kind of return that you are hoping for, and I don't know if they would sell at those prices.

Al

Thread: Tall chest of drawers
12/01/2014 18:13:54

Thanks guy's, I used biscuits to join the cherry to the ash, and used housing joints for the carcass.

The chest also tapers back at the front.

The inspiration for the chest came from the Egyptian inspired dresser that sparky made a few years ago. I had a quick look on the Internet and took inspiration from a few different chest's. I may make a wardrobe to match, but not for a while.

Al

Edited By Big Al on 12/01/2014 18:14:55

12/01/2014 07:58:07

Thanks Steven, I made drawers boxes and then screwed on the fronts, The boxes were made from tulipwood/poplar and joined together using through dovetails. I grooved the sides of the boxes to take wooden runners, and the drawer front stops the drawers.

Al

Thread: What,s In Store
09/01/2014 17:05:29

Not a lot this year, a fire surround and a coffee table for myself, and a TV unit for my son. With no slow down at work they will take me ages to make anyway.

Sorry to hear about your redundancy Julian, something will turn up sooner or later.

Al

Thread: Budget Planer Thicknesser
31/12/2013 15:09:09

It looks like an updated version of the one that I own. The machine unclips from the base, making it a bit easier to load it into a van. Yes 2 strong people can lift it into an estate car, but a van would be considerably easier as its a bit too big and heavy for a car.

If it is an updated version of the HMS 260, you wont be disappointed, I regularly work with hardwoods and the only time that it struggles is when I am trying to make a heavy cut on a wide board.

Al

28/12/2013 17:26:12

Hi Roger and welcome to the forum.

You wont get much for your money if your looking to purchase a new machine, so therefore I suggest that you look for a second hand machine. I bought a sheppach HMS260 nearly 14 years ago and it has served me well, only requiring a small amount of maintenance and some new blades. At the time I stretched myself with my budget and waited until I could afford the machine that I bought and I have never been disappointed with it.

If you want to buy a new machine then my advice would be to try to increase your budget and buy the right machine, rather than a cheap disappointment. You get what you pay for!

Al

Thread: Scheppach saw?
18/12/2013 18:14:14
Posted by Martin Youell on 18/12/2013 08:53:16:

I live Nr Dereham Mid Norfolk, Portsmouth is a long way.

Would like to go for a saw with sliding carriage, I found a Jet JTS-600 at a local dealer, not that impressed with build quality.

How much of an advantage is having a scoring blade for plywood etc? I noticed the cost of such machines rises quite considerably.

Martin.

Hi Martin

A scoring blade is definitely worth having, not just for plywood. MFC, laminated board, veneered board and crosscutting timber will all benefit from having a scoring blade.

Al

Edited By Big Al on 18/12/2013 18:15:16

Thread: Dovetail Stool
01/12/2013 17:01:30

It looks too good to use.

Al

Thread: Non slip mat
20/11/2013 05:31:41

Thanks Alan, will try that at the weekend.

Al

17/11/2013 13:19:05

Hi guy's

I don't know about you, but over the year's I have bought various non slip mat's to stop work piece's sliding around the bench whilst sanding or routing. All of them are like a woven rubber type fabric, and although they work well the first couple of times that I use them, none of them grip my work bench and the work piece anymore.

Has anyone had the same problem as me, and if so have you found a solution?

Al.

Thread: Benchtop thicknessers
31/10/2013 17:07:15

Have you considered replacing the cutter block? It maybe cheaper than buying a new machine, especially if the rest of the machine is still Ok.

Al

Thread: Traditional Taboggan
21/10/2013 16:55:49

Hi Mark, you may struggle bending 5mm thick timber, I always plane laminations done to 3mm. Wetting them with a wet sponge first and leave them for about 10 minutes, which allows the water to penetrate the timber. It will make the timber more flexible.

Also dont use ash for your toboggan as it wont last long outside.

Al

Thread: Fitting offset doors
14/10/2013 05:39:48

With the doors sitting on top of the cabinet mark the position of your hinges and then remove one of the hinges and use that to mark your screw holes.

Al

Thread: What you all doing
09/10/2013 17:08:59

I started a chest of drawers for my daughter back in June, but work has got in the way a bit. So it will get finished if as or whenever.

I also have a coffee table and a fire surround to make when the chest of drawers are finished.

Will post pictures once they are finished, just dont know when.

Al

Thread: Router repair.
03/10/2013 17:06:59

Bill, thinking about it, it may be the brushes have worn out, if so cheap to replace and not too difficult to fit yourself.

I have owned a freud FT2000VCE for about 14 years and the only things that have ever gone wrong on it were the brushes wore out, the variable speed controller died and the on/off switch wore out. All of them easy enough to replace, and cheap enough to warrant it.

Al

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact