By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Big Al

Here is a list of all the postings Big Al has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Birch Faced Plywood
19/07/2014 15:12:08

Wickes stock 6.5mm thick birch ply, if your after thicker ply then try travis Perkins, they can usually get it for you.

Al

Thread: ideas for Increasing size of my table saw bed.
11/07/2014 05:36:52

Looking at your saw, my only suggestion would be to buy a new saw that better suits your needs as the most obvious solution is to make a table that sits on top of the existing one, but you would loose depth of cut, which you have already stated you don't want.

With regards to fitting a larger diameter blade, no you cant as all saws are designed to take one size blade. A larger blade would not fit into your machine.

Al

Thread: Rexon M2150AE mitre saw
09/07/2014 17:04:08

Usually with a mitre saw there is a pin that needs to be pulled out in order to release the saw. It will be on either side of the housing somewhere around the pivot. Just push down slightly on the handle of the saw, and pull it out, this will unlock the saw.

Al

Thread: Wall mounted plate rack
04/07/2014 17:21:18

A few month's ago my brother asked me to make him a wall mounted plate rack to replace one that he bought many years ago. His old one was made from softwood and had dowels to separate the plate's, and due to the weight of the plates and poor construction most of the dowel's have popped out of the bottom rail.

I decided to use square post's and connect them to the top and bottom rails using a sliding dovetail joint, as seen in this close up.

dscf2559.jpg

After jointing the post's to the rails I then used a bearing guided chamfer to ease the edges. The wood for this project is oak and I used danish oil.

Al

Thread: Yandles Spring Show
27/06/2014 12:03:10

Eh, spring show was in april.

Al

Thread: Leigh jigs and DeWalt routers
09/06/2014 13:02:59

Have you considered a trend unibase? It may solve your problem. Click here for more details.

Al

Thread: First Hand Made Project
11/05/2014 09:14:45

Hi Gareth,

Looks like a good start in working with wood, certainly better than the thing's that I first made some 30 years ago at school.

I look forward to looking at your future projects.

Al

Thread: Record BS250 or scheppach basa 1 Bandsaw
08/05/2014 17:41:34

I did own a small record bandsaw many years ago but found it too small and ended up buying a SIP 14" heavy duty saw which suits my needs. Although I have never tried the sheppach, if its as good as my sheppach planer thicknesser, then it wont disappoint.

Also the record saw that I owned was a bit on the underpowered side and I seem to remember that I had to replace a part due to it failing, yet I looked after the saw and hardly used it.

Al

Thread: Concealed cupboards
06/05/2014 18:15:20

Cracking job Alan, I feel sorry for your client having to paint that cupboard though!

Al

Thread: whats the best way to shrpen this wood saw
06/05/2014 18:13:59

Did it get a bit warm whilst in use Dave? Jokes aside, I love it.

Well done.

Al

Thread: First Hand Made Project
02/05/2014 16:18:20

If you want to advertise your web site then contact the owners of this forum and pay for it!

Thread: MDF Wardrobe advice needed please
30/04/2014 17:13:10

18mm is perfect for wardrobe doors, if using thinner MDF, i.e., 15mm, it would not only be a bit flimsy, but you wouldn't get a sufficient fixing for your hinges.

Al

Thread: Adhesives
18/04/2014 09:04:16

Personally I use titebond original wood glue. It's a modified PVA, often refered to as aliphatic wood glue. Again it costs more than a cheap PVA, but I like it and it has never let me down. And it will set overnight in a cold workshop.

Al

Thread: Superglue for furniture?
06/04/2014 11:34:10

It depends on what you are repairing. From your description I assume that the edge of the door has split where the screws were screwed in without a pilot drill, or too small a pilot drill. In that case the gorilla glue will work much better that an epoxy resin as it will bond with the fibres of the wood. It should last as long as any other wood glue.

Al

Thread: Zebra wood
04/04/2014 16:10:49

John Boddy in boroughbridge, north yorkshire sells it. Give them a call first to see if they can help. Click here to go to their web site.

Al

Thread: Superglue for furniture?
04/04/2014 16:07:34

I would use a polyurethane glue such as gorilla glue, Just squeeze a small amount onto a knife blade, get it into the split and clamp it for about 30 minutes, then clean off the foam and your done.

Al

Thread: Age restricted magazine!!!
16/03/2014 14:09:00

For the first time in a long time, I went into smiths and bought good woodworking. Went through the self service checkout, and had to wait for a member of staff to verify my age. Yet there isn't any age classification on the cover of the magazine.

Political correctness gone badly wrong.

Al

Thread: bandsaw
04/03/2014 18:30:10

PM sent Robbie.

Al

02/03/2014 19:19:47

No problem Robby will dig it out and do it for you within the next couple of days.

Al

02/03/2014 18:23:02

I have a manual for a sip 14" heavy duty bandsaw model 01489, would that be any good for you?

Al

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact