By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Big Al

Here is a list of all the postings Big Al has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Colron refined lacquer
22/02/2015 18:26:51

Hi everyone

I am currently making a small bookcase with the outside made from american ash, and the interior made from oak veneered MDF. I want to tone down the oak and have purchased a tin of colron white ash wood dye and have been very pleased with the effect. However after applying some french polish to the test piece, it darkens it almost back to natural oak. Having looked on the tin colron advise using their refined lacquer!

So my question's are has anyone else used this lacquer? Is it any good? And lastly is it a water or solvent/spirit based lacquer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Al

Thread: Two piece spindle query
28/01/2015 21:43:24

With regards to what glue to use try a polyurethane glue such as gorilla glue, always works for me. If you have the same problem it could be the pine that's letting you down.

Al

Thread: Evening Classes
11/01/2015 17:48:24

At my local B&Q they run DIY classes and have a dedicated area in store where they teach people things like plastering and basic carpentry. Although it is more DIY based it may give you a bit of help.

Al

Thread: Pocket Hole Jigs
03/01/2015 16:54:57

I bought a Trend one about 9 years ago and at times it really comes into its own. I have seen advertised somewhere a clamp that fits into the pocket and pulls the 2 components together making screwing a lot easier, its called a pock-it clamp. I have just had a quick look for it on google and amazon sell it for around £12 including delivery.

Al

Thread: What table saw ?
29/12/2014 08:57:19

Hi Roy

I have owned a SIP 10" heavy duty table saw for about 8 years now and bought it second hand. For the positive points, it does everything that I want it to do and is as powerful as any machine can be considering that it is a single phase machine.

There are however a few things wrong with it, the first point is the dust extraction, it is very poor. I need to move it twice a year and clean out underneath the machine. The only other issue is that every time I move the fence I have to check that it is parallel to the mitre slot before using it.

With regards to why the Americans can use table saws in the way that is often shown in TV shows and internet video's, I can certainly understand why braked motor's are insisted upon, having been employed as a wood machinist for most of my working life. Although I haven't seen anyone loose their fingers, I have certainly come across plenty of people that have lost fingers or bits of, because they used a machine without correct guarding in place. Machine safety should be of utmost importance in a workshop.

Al

Thread: Bed side tables
19/12/2014 16:56:54

No mortices the shelf is notched in each corner to fit around the leg and is attached by loose dowel to allow movement.

Al

Thread: Bestcombi planer thicknesser
16/12/2014 07:11:33

The only time that I had a similar problem with my sheppach was due to the drive belt slipping and once I tightened the belt it worked well again.

Have you tried waxing the thicknesser bed?

Al

Thread: Bed side tables
09/12/2014 06:34:37

Just made a pair of bed side tables for the guest room. Made from Ash the top is only 14mm thick and the legs are only 30mm square at the top tapering to 18mm square at the bottom, as I wanted to made the tables dainty and unobtrusive.

Al

Thread: Spindle Moulders
12/11/2014 05:43:29

Hi Julian

Not quite sure what you mean by run out, it would be tear out that might cause you a problem when using a sliding table and cutting the end grain. This is easily solved using a sacrificial piece of timber to prevent tear out.

Am I right in believing that you have never used a spindle moulder. If so, you could really do with guidance on using a spindle. When I bought my spindle, even though I had been trained to use one, but hadn't used a spindle for quite a few years, I purchased a video demonstrating how to use one. Click here for more info.

Al

Thread: The North of England Woodworking and Power Tool Show
28/10/2014 06:20:48

Way too far away for me, a quick look at google maps it would take me about 4 hours each way.

Al

Thread: SIP 01489 Bandsaw
27/10/2014 16:58:33

Hi Kerry

I have emailed you a manual.

Al

Thread: yet more pressies
23/10/2014 21:21:17

God they look amazing.

Al

Thread: Electrical wiring help
19/10/2014 09:18:37

Cant see why not, as long as the connections are the same. Just remember to tuck it out of the way as trailing cables are a trip hazard.

Al

Thread: Table Saw Safety
10/10/2014 16:08:12

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with what you have described. You could incorporate some sort of rise and fall so that you can keep the guard close to the workpiece.

Al

Thread: Woodworking evening classes in/near Manchester?
28/09/2014 14:47:59

Good afternoon ladies, B&Q have adult classes in some of their warehouse stores. At their store in Redclyffe Road,
Trafford Park, M41 7LG they have classes, click here for more info. They also have a store in Bolton that also have adult classes.

They may not be woodworking specific, but the do have tool classes and also basic carpentry classes.

Hope this helps.

Al

Thread: Table Saw Blade
24/09/2014 05:37:03

All of the table saws that I have had have a left hand thread. The reason for this is that the nut doesn't loosen whilst the saw is in use, and so you need to turn the nut in the same direction as the blade spins, anti clockwise.

Al

Thread: patience bowl
17/08/2014 17:50:57

Such a shame that the photo's are out of focus. And yes I am sure that it did try your patience.

Al

Thread: Learning from other woodworkers
16/08/2014 12:44:44

Learning from another woodworker is always going to be one of the better ways of learning. Recently I bought myself a scraper plane, just a cheap faithful one and never having used one before I had a go at using and sharpening it with no success. Then I asked a friend of mine how to set up, sharpen and use it. In a matter of minutes he told me what I needed to do and it now works like it should do.

My background is more machine woodworking, which is also my occupation. The furniture making that I do I have taught myself, from magazines, books and video's and just having a go and learning from my own mistakes, whether its the design, technique or wrong materials. I served an apprenticeship over 30 years ago and I am still learning and discovering.

I am sorry but I cant help you as I am in wiltshire, but hopefully someone will be able to help you.

Al

Thread: SIP 01489 manual
02/08/2014 05:34:18

Yes. Send me a pm with your email address and I will send it to you.

Al

Edited By Big Al on 02/08/2014 05:34:58

Thread: Dewalt Radial Arm Saw
30/07/2014 06:43:03

Like a spindle moulder they are an invaluable machine in your shop. Personally I don't have the space to put one in and use it, but if I did then the first thing I would buy for it is a dado set.

Al

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact