By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Big Al

Here is a list of all the postings Big Al has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: With some sadness
28/05/2016 06:05:50

I too worked for myself for about 3 years and had to call it a day nearly 10 years ago and find a job, and looking back at it, it was the right thing to do at the right time. My furniture making has gone a lot further now that I make things for the sheer enjoyment of it rather than trying to make a living from it.

Al

Thread: Router Speed
11/03/2016 16:17:25

What determines how fast you run the router is the diameter of the bit that you are using. If you are using cutters up to 25mm diameter then the maximum speed is fine, but if your using a panel raiser or a large mitre lock cutter then you will need to slow down your router. The only other time that you may want to slow down your router is if you get burn marks, but this is usually a sign that the cutter is blunt and either needs sharpening or replacing.

Al

Thread: Best timber for gates
20/01/2016 21:37:47

The only problem with using oak is that you would need to use stainless steel fixings, normal zinc coated or steel ones will react with the tannin in the oak and stain it black.

Good alternatives are sapele or iroko, both are excellent timbers for external usage and if untreated will go silvery grey in time. Personally my own preference would always be to make a gate from hardwood, however there is nothing wrong with pressure treated especially if your on a budget or can't prepare the timber yourself.

Al

Thread: Mahogany Identification
21/11/2015 16:18:19

Just tried to look at your dropbox but it requires a sign in.

Thread: Sip 1444 bandsaw
08/11/2015 16:27:45

Just googled it and found a manual in PDF format on SIP's web site. Click here to go to it.

Al

Thread: Fit for a Princess
18/09/2015 19:34:44

Blooming amazing but I can't imagine the recipient getting much sleep on the first night.

Al

Thread: Oak Dinning Room Table how to do ends
15/09/2015 17:29:34

When I made my desk top I used the bread board method and wouldn't bother again. The main field of the top shrank in time and left a step at the ends, whereas every table that I have made since I have never used the bread board method and attach the top to the base with buttons which allow's movement.

Al

Edited By Big Al on 15/09/2015 17:29:50

Thread: Apprentices can't always be fooled
30/08/2015 14:46:49
Posted by Ron Davis on 29/08/2015 17:49:39:

PS Why, when I press the carriage return, does the cursor go to the top of the post, anything to do with windows 10?

Hi Ron

I have the same problem on my imac when using safari, but if I use google chrome it works ok.

Al

Thread: Pricng articles for craft fairs
21/08/2015 16:24:52

Good luck with pricing your work, I have never managed to get it right.

One lady once told me that most people fall into the PPP category, Pick it up, Put it down and then they P*@s off.

Al

Thread: Expanding Circular Dining Table
21/08/2015 16:19:38

Hi George

What an amazing table, love the way it expands.

First class job.

Al

Thread: WorldSkills
12/07/2015 16:35:54

I also agree with the above comments. What I have never been able to understand is that virtually all of the other manual skilled trades, such as plumbers, electricians, plasterers etc., do not have this problem.

Also to excel in woodworking you need a passion and desire to achieve an end goal, and it takes many years of learning and nurturing ones skills.

Its not something that will change as most people tend to buy cheap furniture that is usually poorly made from major retail outlets that advertise heavily, as this is all that is available to them.

Al

Thread: John Boddy Timber
19/06/2015 05:29:22

just had a look and they have moved. click here for more info

Al

Thread: Wonky bookcase
08/05/2015 20:20:54

hi all

I have just finished this small bookcase that I have made for my son. The outside is American white ash and the internal is oak veneered MDF. The internal part is a box section so that the shelves can be moved.

Al

Thread: adding photos to threads?
21/04/2015 17:46:32

Tap on the edit button in the green banner at the top and add it.

Al

Thread: external oak door and frame, what finish?
21/04/2015 17:45:22

Danish oil should be ok just make sure you give it at least 5 coats.

Al

Thread: Timber identification needed please
20/04/2015 19:53:24

Looks like santos rosewood to me

Al

Thread: Stanley No 7 C corrugated bottom jointer plane
18/04/2015 17:19:31

I once owned one of these but found it too big and awkward for me. I use a no 5 1/2 lie Nielsen and find it does virtually every thing that I need it to.

Al

Thread: Scheppach TISA 5
08/03/2015 08:19:30

Hi Roy

Having googled your saw I am not surprised that you are having issues with it. It is a site saw and you won't get the accuracy from it.

Al

06/03/2015 21:52:13

Hi

I can vouch for the sip10" saw as I own one. The only gripe that I have always had with it is the dust extraction, it's very poor. Other than that it's a great saw. I bought mine 10 years ago, second hand, and the only things that have gone on it is the drive belt, which I replaced with one from a car parts shop, and the nvr switch.

Al

Thread: dewalt 621 help/advice
28/02/2015 07:57:56

Have you tried measuring the port?

I had a quick look on dewalts web site but couldn't see any special adapters.

Al

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact