By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gavin Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Gavin Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spraying MDF
19/04/2009 11:25:52
Thank's all for the reply's it's certainly food for thought, I think the main thing in your comments is there is no quick way to do this, which is kind of what I told the customer so maybe I shall go back to them and try to revise timmings/design
cheers and thanks again for the help
18/04/2009 14:10:25
Hi 
I have been asked to make a unit form MDF to store box files it needs a high gloss white finish to match other units and as I don't have spray equipment I was wondering if anyone has had any success using cans of car spray on MDF or is this a daft idea
Most gratefull for any comments/ideas
cheers Gavin
Thread: A loss for Welsh chairmaking
22/11/2008 14:33:00

Micheal,

In their print catalogue the ref is ISBN 0-85442-083-5, it says in the catalogue that this edition includes tributes to John  Brown so I guess it is a new printing. Hope this helps

cheers

Gavin

16/11/2008 13:13:00

I did dig out my copy of welsh chair making, now on the look out for some nice elm for a seat, it's not really a how to guide but it is a blooming good read!

cheers

gavin  

Thread: Old recruiting film
28/10/2008 22:39:00

Has anyone seen this before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7QT6PbQ1dc

I reckon the bit about first fix is stil accurate even if it is American and 60 yrs old

cheers 

Gavin

Thread: Paint brush cleaner
28/10/2008 19:59:00

Alan, Al

I used it for brushes and rollers with water and spirit based paints, and button polish. The only problem like Alan says is rollers that wont fit on  the shaft. I found the best thing to use to spin it in is an old swing bin you get leaks from a cardboard box 

Gavin   

Thread: window stays/catches
11/10/2008 17:33:00

Thanks Mike those are slightly different it looks like they have the handle/catch built in so now I have a choice which is good!

cheers

gavin

10/10/2008 20:15:00

Thanks Malc

thats just what I am after

cheers, gavin

08/10/2008 20:44:00

Hi all,

does anyone know where I can find window fastenings like the ones, giving my age away here, that they used to have in schools. The teacher used to use a long pole with a hook on the end to open them. It's for a high up casement window in a kitchen that needs to open only ocasionaly.

cheers  gavin 

Thread: Lightening oak
07/10/2008 23:09:00

Derek,

you could try oxalic acid, depnds on the size of area you want to bleach and how much you want to lighten it. It works fairly well on relatively small areas but treat it with a lot of caution it's a poision!

cheers

gavin   

Thread: Paint brush cleaner
07/10/2008 21:45:00

Olly, Derek,

SUCESESS!

thank you , thats what I like about the wonderful world of woodworkers , they are all so helpful

cheers

gavin

07/10/2008 21:38:00

Olly,

ok lets give this a try

http://www.handysolutionsuk.com/Video/Set/paste.htm

07/10/2008 21:16:00

OK, derek 

I give in how do you do it? is it all done with mirrors!

07/10/2008 19:50:00
It didn't!
07/10/2008 19:48:00

Derek

thats the QVC one but as I have now found out how to do this,I think, I have put this link in

to see if it works!

cheers gavin

http://www.handysolutionsuk.com/Video/Set/paste.htm

07/10/2008 15:04:00

Sorry Baz,

no pictures my camera is playing silly b's but I have checked it out and both QVC and

Dandy have demonstration videos. I cant work out how to add a link to these sites to this

post but you should be able to google them.

cheers gavin

PS if anyone knows how to add links to a post, and can explain in terms of push this key or click that wotsit, or anything about fuji cameras,  I would love to know

06/10/2008 22:40:00

Hello all

this is not strictly woodworking, but my wife has got fed up with me going on about it, so I thoght I would bore you! Has anyone used the dandy brush/roller cleaner? Had a lot of decorating to do so treated myself to a new set of brushes for water and oil based paints saw this on QVC and thought I would give it a go, even though it looked like a gimmick, it's amazing three brushes used all day with white gloss, cleaned and dry in 5 mins and no crap in the sink! and no I have no connection with dandy but its been a while since I've seen a new idea that works this well so I keep telling everybody about it!

Gavin

Thread: Kick out the plastic
06/10/2008 19:33:00

Andy,

nice blog and a great idea! looking forward to further installments. 

18/09/2008 21:28:00

Andy,

Once again thanks for your info,very helpful, hope the first window turns out as well as the mock up.  If you can't find a rabbit farm and you  have a compst heap, softwood shavings compost well as long as you dont put too much on at once and use plenty of green material with them, they make good garden mulch to.

cheers,

Gavin

17/09/2008 20:26:00

Andy,

Thanks very much for the pictures, they are very helpful and very timely, again , I was talking to someone about my idea to make my own windows and he wants me to make 2 for him, not sashes but it's a chance to practice and get paid! I will post some pics when they are done. One question, if you dont mind me picking you brains again, where did you get the brush draught excluding.

cheers and thanks,

Gavin.   

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact