By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for big ian

Here is a list of all the postings big ian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Finished at last
09/07/2011 16:37:00
looks great al. is it for yourself or have you made it to sell?. this is the first time in a long time ive been on here and i log on and find this in the latest posts. the standard has been set now well done

Thread: Child's deck chair
25/02/2011 23:24:05
hi sorry im only getting back to you guys now, my computer playing up. i attached the arms to the legs with dowels and exterior glue and it made out of american red oak. it now has 3 coats of clear varnish. since putting this on my facebook site i have taken orders for 6. so it has turned out better than i thought. thanks ian
Thread: clock
25/02/2011 23:14:46
thanks gents. thought it looked well and didnt want to ruin the beam by chopping it up
Thread: Cellulose sanding sealer
01/12/2010 22:20:47
Hello Ian
    was just looking through the turners retreat catolouge and acording to the chestnut products at the rear you should be ok. if your not sure and want to put your mind at rest, do a sample piece on the same type of offcut wood.   ian
Thread: i'm back
27/04/2010 13:07:28
Its so good to be back online , still not back in the workshop docs recon 12 weeks and i can stat doin light work. the routine operation that was supposed to take 7-10 days ended up with me contracting meningitis and having 6 operations and in hospital for 8 weeks and now have a thing called a shaunt from my brain to my stomach. well thats enough from me how did the show go and who won the turning comp and any pics of the winning piece  
       cheers  ian
Thread: good luck for the comp
21/02/2010 19:37:46
just a quick note to tell everyone who is entering the gw turning comp "GOOD LUCK" from me. Going in on mon for my operation and wont be out for a while. ps someone post a pict of the winning item so i can see. thanks Ian
Thread: Bad News
06/02/2010 18:42:30
thankyou to everyone for there support i cant put it into words how much it means to me.
                      thankyou   ian
04/02/2010 16:14:10
isnt it amazing how much you take your health for granted. Was looking forward to entering the turning comp and going to my first gw live when two weeks ago i lost all use of my right arm. When i went to the hospital i was diagnosed with a rare spinal cord disease. I have had the symptoms for 2 years now and they just got arround to giving me an MRI scan last week.  I will still fowwow progress of fellow fourm users while i try and learn the art of one hand turning.

Ian
Thread: Newsletters
29/01/2010 21:25:13
hi ben

still have not recieved email newsletter

thanks ian
Thread: Toys for a good cause
18/12/2009 16:05:54
thanks for the comments
     it would be brilliant for the magazine to get involved so lets see if the powers to be have anything they can come up with. it doesnt just have to be the one charity that we donate to. i like the idea of selling the toys cause somtimes charitys need money more but seeing the look on a kids face when they recieve a present is priceless. the answer to ralphs question is that they range from toddlers to early teens. so come on people keep your replies coming and lets see if we can make somthing good happen.
                                          thanks ian
16/12/2009 21:16:17
Hello lads and ladies
 i have had an idea and no it didnt hurt me that much,. I was listening to the radio today and it was the kids from the Norhtern Ireland  Childrens Hospice who were on. The hospice is a great charity which look after really sick children. I had a thought "how good would it be as a fourm to all club together and do somthing good ". What i mean is, if we all make some sort of kids toy which we then could donate to the kids. sound good .if anyone is interested please reply to this thread and we will then get details sorted out.
                             thanks for your help look forward to hearing from you
                                                              ian
Thread: oak off cuts free to good home
03/12/2009 19:27:40
rodger and mark  sorry about that i am in northern ireland
Thread: crib by Big AL
01/11/2009 13:52:02
great job Al. im sure some luckey wee person will have many a dream in this

Thread: oak off cuts free to good home
28/10/2009 20:08:24
hello would any of you wood turners like some of the 1000 year oak i aquired, suitable for pen turning. not alot going so first come first served. contact me through this site.  Ian
Thread: 1000 year old oak
26/10/2009 21:34:35
not a bad idea andy will keep you posted when i decide
25/10/2009 09:43:37
when it was renovated in 1992 a friend owns a reclaimation company and bought all the timbers. it wasnt until lately that he built his own house and used this oak and i got the off cuts.

24/10/2009 22:05:40
This piece of Oak came from Killkenny castle Ireland which was renovated in 1992. It came from a wing of the castle which had not had major renovation and is believed to be a piece of the original wood that has been there since the castle was built in 1135 ad. My problem is what do i do with it. dimensions are 1100 long 230 deep and 60mm thick
Thread: Painful
15/08/2009 14:57:06
Hi Ralph
    i was fitting a set of exterior french doors and had 2 cut them out of a solid wall so needed 2 put 2 heads in. the problem was i had 2 carry on working cause i couldnt leave the customer with a big hole in the wall
14/08/2009 22:03:00
got the news i was dreading today, a broken finger and three stitches....ahhhhh
was in work when i asked our paid help for a lift with a 8ft concrete head , when he just decided to let go my finger got trapped. Think this was his last day
Thread: sleeping like a baby
03/08/2009 22:59:01
Thanks Arthur
                            Thats what this forum is for (helping people out that is) . Thanks for your comments and your advice. Much appriecated.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact