By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon Reeves

Here is a list of all the postings Simon Reeves has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: maley bur plater.
27/03/2015 13:10:21

Great bit of work there Dennis - you're a lucky boy!. I had a tiny piece of mailee burr ages ago and managed to make a coin tray. Nothing like as spectacular as your 16" platter. I love it.

Simon

Thread: identification of hardwood
26/12/2014 15:46:00

You may be right Neil. If the logs are small enough, try putting one in water, as lignum is about twice a dense as iroko, and will normally sink like a stone.

Simon

Thread: christmas greetings
26/12/2014 15:41:44

To one and all, a slightly belated very Merry Christmas and a very happy, peaceful and prosperous New Year, with plenty of woodworking in the offing!

Simon

Thread: the start of my christmas pressies
08/09/2014 12:51:03

Count me in with the tea light too - completely different and great fun.

Simon

Thread: truning a quaich bowl
08/09/2014 12:48:45

Hi William

Take a look at my albums, and you'll see my homage to Paul's design for the commonwealth quaich, which is also in ash. Don't forget to post pics of your version.

Common quaich

Simon

Thread: squer tealight
30/08/2014 15:52:50

Nice one Dennis. I expect these are great craft fair items?

Simon

Thread: The stones
30/08/2014 15:51:00

Is there no end to your talent Robert? This is a great piece of work, and worryingly good caricatures of the group!!!

Simon

Edited By Simon Reeves on 30/08/2014 15:51:22

Thread: Ash goblet
30/08/2014 15:48:18

Interesting shape Derek. My Dad had something similar in glass years ago (he was a publican), but nowhere near a big as this one. His was (I think) used for some kind of liqueur. Will you ever use yours, or is it just decorative?

Simon

Thread: Beech bowls
30/08/2014 15:43:38

Alright for some is all I can say! My shed time is limited to weekends unfortunately, and even then there's often other "little jobs" that need to be done, which always seem to end late on Sunday afternoon!

What with all the light pulls, bowls and goblets etc, you've been a really busy boy. Everything is well up to the usual standard of course. Very nicely turned.

Simon

Thread: Yew pot
17/08/2014 20:57:37

Thanks Derek. I wasn't too sure about the foot either, as I said in the original post, but who am I to argue???smiley

Simon

Thread: segmented bowl
17/08/2014 20:55:12

One of your best yet Dennis. I really like the shapes in the top segment too. Much more interesting than just square sided joints, and a good deal more difficult too.

Simon

Thread: Walnut Hollow form
17/08/2014 20:52:22

I like this one too. Somehow a "perfect" bowl has a bit less character IMHO. Very nice finish.

Simon

Thread: Suspended
17/08/2014 20:50:26

Another great piece Derek. Very nicely executed. What are you using for the brass support?

Simon

Thread: Common quaich
17/08/2014 20:16:55

Don't know if any of the forum followed the Commonwealth games recently, and saw the superb quaiches made by Paul Hodgkiss and his team that were presented to the medallists, but I thought they were a far more fitting alternative to the usual bunch of flowers.

This is my version in ash - only simple but I thought Paul's design was just perfect, and a good influence. Quite good fun to make as well. The bowl is about 110mm diameter by about 38 deep. The outer rim is 150mm diameter by about 3mm thick, scalloped slightly on both sides. I cut the bulk of the rim away on the bandsaw, and then carefully sanded the rest back by hand to blend in with the bowl.

If I ever make another one, the rim will be a bit thinner and more refined. The finish is 5 coats of sanding sealer plus 3 of polish. All it needs now is a large dash of single malt smile p!

Common quaich

img_0551.jpg

img_0553.jpg

img_0555.jpg

All comments welcome

Simon

04/08/2014 23:36:51

Thanks Denis. Next time the wood is definitely going to be a bit softer!

Simon

Thread: Elvis
04/08/2014 23:35:45

Another masterpiece Robert!

You realise of course that the King could only be singing one song? Wooden Heart face 20.

Brilliant stuff again - I love it.

Simon

Thread: Box on stand
02/08/2014 11:28:49

Great bit of work Derek, and an excellent shape. You'll see my effort in a new thread posted 2 Aug. Unfortunately I had chosen an almost identical shape to do and was almost complete by the time I saw this thread. Yours looks far more refined I think.

Simon

Thread: I'm only a Trainee
02/08/2014 11:23:33

Sorry Derek - missed this somewhere along the line. What a great job! I have a new grandson who would love something like this. At 8 months he's a bit too small at the minute, but at least it give me time to have a go!

Simon

02/08/2014 11:19:01

I finally took the plunge at Yandles spring show and bought the Crown Revolution hollowing tool, so I thought it was time to post a few pics of the first thing I've turned with it. I found the tool quite difficult to use, but it was probably not helped by the yew being as hard as iron, and having a split that went from the outside right through to the centre, along its whole length. It was not immediately apparent when I bought the log, but you can see it in the first pic. Probably not the best choice for a first go at something like this, using an unfamiliar tool. Next time I'll use wet wood!

I had already turned most of this by the time I saw Derek's post a while back with an almost identical vase, but by then it was too late to change. I was even going to make a similar base, but SWMBO decided that it looked fine as it was! Sorry Derek, it wasn't intended to be a copy in any way.

The whole thing stands about 13" (330mm) tall by about 5" (125mm) wide. The collar and finial are purpleheart. The finish is several coats of sanding sealer followed by Woodwax polish. The walls vary between about 4mm at the top to about 8 at the bottom. I've also left the base inside much thicker than normal to give it some extra stability.

Yew vase 1

Yew vase 2

Yew vase 3

All comments & criticisms gratefully received.

Simon

Thread: teak clock
31/05/2014 15:52:59

I really like these Dennis. They have a definite nautical look & feel about them.

And speaking of photographing your work, as per the other recent thread, I think the towelling is just right here, It just gives a bit of added texture that shows the pieces off very nicely. Good to see that you're putting the copyright on the photos too.

Simon

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact