By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Bickley

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Bickley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: No Video
26/07/2010 17:26:30
Hi Guys,
Well, the problem is sorted. It was my AOL Browser that cant be up to date because the videos play great on 'internet explorer' and 'moziller firefox'. It seems so simple after you have solved the problem but at the time quite a mystery. Anyway thanks to those that tried to help.
Regards Clive.
23/07/2010 10:34:35
Hi Mark, its me again. I had an idea and logged in on my lap top and everything worked as it should. I would still like my desk top to work though. Is it anything to do with the GW videos being low resolution and my conection being broad band, although it is the same on my lap top. Help!
Regards Clive

PS Just realised there are 2 video windows, sad person that I am!!!

Edited By Clive Bickley on 23/07/2010 10:40:53

23/07/2010 09:26:28
Hi Mark, Thanks for the help. I only get the title of the video and a space where the box should be and below that space a message that says it is a low resolution video. I dont have problems with video on other sites.
Regards, Clive
22/07/2010 20:12:35
Hi Guys,
As a subscriber to Good woodworking I think I should be able to access the on line videos. When I click on an article the title comes up but no video appears. Can anybody tell me what  the problem is?
Regards,Clive
Thread: The latest Good Woodworking (205)
26/08/2008 09:25:00
Hi Guys,

Last month I had a real rant about the content of GW204 and quite a few people agreed with me and further to my surprise no one condemned me. In fairness to Jon Bentman the editor, he did defend himself and quite rightly too as he is the boss and must do what he thinks best to increase his sales. Well Jonathan, I am sure you will read this, I have just finished reading issue 205 and I thoroughly enjoyed it!! I realise that the magazine must appeal to wide range of readers and therefore can not be perfect for everyone, but I think you have got the balance spot on this time with a wide range of articles and all to do with woodwork and that is what it says on the cover, ‘Good Woodworking’. As I said before I did enjoy all of the magazine but on a personal note, not having had the benefit of an apprenticeship or other formal training I do enjoy Jeff Gorman’s articles where he goes right back to the very basics. It’s a case of if you start right you have a chance of finishing right. However, the best new idea, I think it’s new, are the articles by Andy King where he combines practical help with mortising, drilling, routing etc. with tool tests on the tools that he actually uses to do the job. To me this is a benefit to all concerned. As a result of the above, I won’t be cancelling my subscription and I am looking forward to the next issue.

Regards,

Clive Bickley
26/08/2008 09:25:00
Hi Guys,

Last month I had a real rant about the content of GW204 and quite a few people agreed with me and further to my surprise no one condemned me. In fairness to Jon Bentman the editor, he did defend himself and quite rightly too as he is the boss and must do what he thinks best to increase his sales. Well Jonathan, I am sure you will read this, I have just finished reading issue 205 and I thoroughly enjoyed it!! I realise that the magazine must appeal to wide range of readers and therefore can not be perfect for everyone, but I think you have got the balance spot on this time with a wide range of articles and all to do with woodwork and that is what it says on the cover, ‘Good Woodworking’. As I said before I did enjoy all of the magazine but on a personal note, not having had the benefit of an apprenticeship or other formal training I do enjoy Jeff Gorman’s articles where he goes right back to the very basics. It’s a case of if you start right you have a chance of finishing right. However, the best new idea, I think it’s new, are the articles by Andy King where he combines practical help with mortising, drilling, routing etc. with tool tests on the tools that he actually uses to do the job. To me this is a benefit to all concerned. As a result of the above, I won’t be cancelling my subscription and I am looking forward to the next issue.

Regards,

Clive Bickley
Thread: The content of Good Woodworking
02/08/2008 16:20:00

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comment, point taken.

I may post some of my work on the galery if I get a chance, however if you had read some of the woodworking magazines you would probably have seen some of my work already.

Clive

02/08/2008 15:24:00

Hi Jonathan and fellow woodworkers,

Jon, I was delighted to receive your very convivial reply and relieved to hear that you were not to put out by my tirade that was very much from the heart and not from the brain, (what brain?) Olly enquired if any of us had thought of contacting the editor directly and in fact that was my first intention, but then I thought about the forum on the web site where I would be able to reach a wider readership and perhaps reach further down the line even than Jon. I have in fact been in contact with previous editors and put forward the idea of this web site many years ago and in particular the idea of an on line index/data base, some thing that has yet to come to fruition, although what we have got is excellent and as you say Jon ‘the perfect place to debate the content of magazines'.

When I started this thread I had no idea what the opinions of my fellow readers might be and when I pressed the send button I thought to myself ‘what are you doing, you will most probably get shot down in flames’, however, this has not been the case up to now. Jon, you say you get a lot of positive responses and I can believe that to be the case, so where are you people, give Jon some support and lets have a more balanced debate.

To go back to the web site, what a wonderful market research tool this is for Magicalia, for you can analyse the content to find out exactly what the grass root readership are interested in.

For instance, and I am going to make my point here, if you click on ‘forum’ in the tool bar you get all the forum topics and it is easy to see that there are many more threads in ‘projects and design’ than all the other threads put together and the same ratio is not far behind for ‘posts’ in the same topic. This indicates to me that this is where the interest lies and ties in perfectly with my own thoughts on the matter.

Now, Ralph Harvey says ‘if it ain’t broke don't fix it’ but unfortunately there is a similar saying that goes ‘if it ain’t broke, fix it until it is’.

Well, I think my wife has just made me a Marmite sandwich, ahh. life goes on.

Clive.

01/08/2008 10:27:00

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the comment. I agree with you and think it's well worth breaking the mould to report the passing of someone as well thought of as John Brown.

Regards, Clive

01/08/2008 10:20:00

Hi Baz,

No I am not a mathematician, Magicalia make it easy buy putting 100 pages in the mag. so you only have to be able to count.

And I hope you are correct and it is only temporary dip, I won't cancel my subscription yet just in case!

Regards, Clive

31/07/2008 17:49:00

I have just finished reading the August issue of ‘Good Woodworking’ and to say that I am a little disappointed is an under statement. The first 16 pages consist of adverts and editorial about GW and various stories about people loosely connected with woodwork. Mike Riley’s workshop is a shambles but at least he starts by asking the same question as me ‘what constitutes a good woodworking magazine?’ and then rambles on for 3 pages about God knows what. The real wind up was the story about David Oldfield’s dog. What the (I am having a job not to swear here) has that got to do with woodwork. I am beginning to realise at this point that the staff at GW have finally lost the plot. The editor by his own admission told us he knows nothing about woodwork, well he knows very little about wood workers either, who I feel are down to earth hard working people who buy GW to enlarge their knowledge and experience of wood working. You have to ask the question at this point as to why Jon was employed to do the job in the first place, would his bosses employ a plumber to hang a door?. ( I am sorry Jon, please don't take this personally).

Things did get better after this, they had to didn’t they. There are some very good articles on actual projects, but they constitute only 23% of the magazine called GW. I do question the need for so much wood turning content as well, 6%. I am not a turner yet but if I was I would buy a wood turning magazine where I would get a much wider picture of the craft. As an article though, Dave Robert.s jewellery box is excellent.

A further 23.5% of GW is taken up by what I will call stories about people and places in some way connected with woodworking, Bridgwater College is a place to be admired but the article did nothing to advance my woodwork. The ‘Yandles’ story started off by showing a picture of a band saw blade, 1%, the only thing we may glean from that is how to set the guide blocks! I am now wondering if the following 5 pages are for the benefit of the readers or ‘Yandles’, I sur pose it is a bit of both! The same question arises over the tool tests, 14% of the magazine, that is a lot of pages only associated with wood work, who benefits from these the most the manufacturers or the readers. I for one go out and buy a tool when I need one and make up my own mind as to what I want. Adverts, 23.5% of the magazine, well we have got to have them, haven't we. This is one part of the content that I cant criticise as without them there would be no magazine.

A good part of GW is the Q&A pages, 6.5%, this does offer valuable advice to readers and makes interesting reading for us all with good clear answers from Andy and Bruce and of course cheap content for GW.

I have been a reader of GW for many years because I thought it was the best on the market to advance my knowledge, but I cant help feeling that that is changing because of some of my comments above. Just to give you some idea of a comparison, I also take another woodworking mag. and some of the percentages are, adverts 12%, woodworking 43%, tool tests 9%, you will have to work out which one it is for yourself.

Now, the person that never made a mistake never made anything and I have made lots of things and lots of mistakes and I may be wrong on some or all of the above comments but at the end of the day I am sure we all, as readers have the best interests of GW at heart, so what do you think?, let us know.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact