By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for steve h

Here is a list of all the postings steve h has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chaise Longue
10/10/2012 18:47:43
Bought it anyway Al, its always nice to have something new to read!
Its strange that you can get plans for everything else?

Steve
10/10/2012 13:11:10

Thanks Al -

The New Yankee workshop one is a sun lounger and I am refering to the more traditional French style chaise with the upholstery work - and no - I am not taking up needlework as well!

All the plans I have ever seen refer to the garden style chaise -

Sorry Al - is the book that you have linked a garden style one, as there is little info about the book out there - will probably buy it anyway.

Anyone??

Thanks

Steve

Edited By steve h on 10/10/2012 13:31:11

Thread: Some 'real wood' finally
09/10/2012 13:16:31

Always enjoy looking at your work Mailee - if only--------------?

Thread: Chaise Longue
09/10/2012 13:11:05

Good day all -

I was wondering if any of you have got any plans for a chaise longue -

(I was hoping to make one for crimbo for my better half - she has only been asking for one for the last two years!)disgust

I have scoured the internet and have come up with zilch!

Any plans or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Edited By steve h on 09/10/2012 13:11:49

Thread: copying from one mag to another
27/09/2012 07:39:05

Ron, you are right - there are a lot of the 'lads' on the site - they are the ones that are keeping it going and there is no interaction between the owners and the users -

What was Sparkies posting count? - In he several thousands - and current 'mod' has a posting amount of 27!

Ok, i know that i post intermittenly and although was one of the very early members, kind of withdrew from the site more and more.

I still check to see what everyone is up to two or three times per week, but dont log in or post myself.

I have also cancelled subscriptions to getwoodworking but still get the woodworker.

As with all businesses I realise the need for commerce and that they need to make a profit from their activities - but the site has lost it's soul and if were not for the many talented individuals from this site that keep posting and helping others out - it would surely fail.

How about taking it back a few years - pre-aquisition and lets have more videos, more interaction and a site that was as vibrant and fresh as it used to be - its lost its way!

Thread: What I have been up to
08/08/2012 13:03:41

Nice work as always Mailee - what have you made it from??

Thanks

Steve

Thread: No Woodworking Again!
08/08/2012 11:53:24

That's a wicked thought Derek -

I am working till nearly twleve at night to get this finished -

I keep telling her it wont be ready in time!!

So if I get finished early??????????devilyesangel

08/08/2012 11:28:14

Feeling very sorry for myself again this week -

Wife and child away visiting my outlaws and I have been tasked with decorating the daughters bedroom!frown

That means there is no chance of getting in the garage for another weekcrying

I would'nt mind but I could'nt get in last week eithercrying

Thats two weeks without the sniff of a shaving!!!

Steve

Thread: From pew to pigeon holes
31/07/2012 10:47:27

Lovely work - as always Richard!!

Steve

Thread: Holtzapffel - Bless You!
31/07/2012 10:46:10

Thanks Richard - somewhere to store all my bobbins of cotton!

Its 92mm thick ash and I have used over 160ft of the stuff!! crook

The legs are bonded pieces and mortice and tenoned into the top.

All the legs are mortice and tenoned and there are no 'knockdown' joints at all.

I also want to make a cabinet to go underneath it to store my planes etc.

Oh - and the knitting needles of course!!wink

Steve

30/07/2012 13:46:19

Apologies to all again for not having posted for some time - although I have added a couple of new albums of pictures -

This is my Holtzapffel style workbench to date -

img-20120607-00396.jpg

I still have yet to decide how to make the vices up - but it is coming along nicely

Thread: Myford Mystro
02/06/2012 16:45:50

Bit shocked to see this post Steve after all this time - My last post on this was back in March 2011.

Anyway - I never did locate a manual for it nor have I coverted it to VS.

Its a good lathe and I am very happy with it

Thanks and enjoy your turning - a club is a good idea!!

Steve

Edited By steve h on 02/06/2012 16:46:55

Thread: dust extractor advice
11/04/2012 07:46:54

Hi Zac, I have the twin motor camvac and I am very pleased with it - one thing I would recommend is puttinb a cyclone in front of it - It takes away that mass majority of the fine dust even before it hits your bag or drum and then your filters - Please take a look at my photos -

Hope this helps - Steve.

(I also purchased a spare cotton liner so I can wash the dirty one and replace it straight away)

Thread: SIP 01332
05/04/2012 14:22:35

Hi Geoff, I have had this machine for two years and think its a cracking saw -

Like Al, the dust extraction is not great.

Changed the blade with a CMT and cuts beautifully -

Steve.

Thread: Bed side tables
05/04/2012 14:17:53

Very nice Al - Love the curved legs and the contrasting colours.

Steve.

Thread: Turning Help
08/02/2012 14:36:35

Thanks Eric and Ron,

I will have a go at taking it off the casters, but I will have to raise the bench to compensate, as they are about 4 inches high.

Ron, it was doing it on thick pieces of timber!

I will make my alterations and let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Steve

02/02/2012 21:05:49

Thanks Ralph and Ron -

I am very pleased with the lathe, even if it has been round the clock a few times, a little battered and bruised here and there and love the fact that you can reverse the motor, swing the bed all the round and has another outboard rest system.

I was lucky in that it cost me less then most of these mini lathes these days, although I would quite happily spend the money to make it a electronic variable speed lathe.

I have also purchased quite a few tools, some of them the cryogenic ones that you can get a very good edge on.

Its club night tomorrow night and I wanted to submit my first ever piece, with regret that will not happen, but hopefully I will be able to submit for the next one.

Steve.

Thread: Ebonised Hollow form
02/02/2012 07:33:16

Actually - I really like the piece Mark -

Steve

Thread: Turning Help
02/02/2012 07:30:51

Well - a little embarrassed!!

I went back in the garage last night and checked all the bearings and shaft for play and there wasn't any movement at all (i put a large piece on the faceplate so I had something to get hold of!)

When this produced a negative I then started looking at my stance, where my tool was in relation to the wood and kept taking cuts at differing heights and angles and holding the tool much lower down (although this never made a difference in the past)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it looks like that I had forgotten how to turn, as I managed to get a biggish piece of oak very smooth.

Next, I put the bubinga back on and it took me several passes and again, changing what I just done on one piece to suit another, eventually got a clean cut.

It still leaves me a little confused as I have never had this issue before and I am now thinking of buying another gouge with a different profile for very hard and difficult wood to see if this gets me back to where i was a few months ago.

Thanks for you comments and guidance -

A good workman never blames his tools (clearly looks like I was the only one to blame)

Steve

01/02/2012 21:42:30

Sorry, I forgot to mention George that my lathe was purchased second hand and is a Myford Mystro.

It came with no instructions - so I do not know if I can adjust it. How do I check to see if there is any play in the bearing?

I believe that it came from a wood turning club (was the club machine) and the guy I purchased it from had owned it for several years but had used it very little.

I would love to know what to do next!

Thanks

Steve

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact