By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for steve h

Here is a list of all the postings steve h has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DAMP - Please help
12/11/2008 23:03:00

Jeez guys,

I have not been on for awhile and cannot believe all the additional postings!

Now I am really confused.

Having taken another look, the water ingress is over the top of the slab and appears to be coming in through the brickwork.

I know we have had a problem before with the house (detached from the garage), as up here int north it gets a bit chilly and they made the properties from London brick which is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard around here and all the properties have a lot of spalling and the rear of the house had to be rendered as the wind coming off the pennine chain drives the rain through the walls, many houses have been rendered to stop this, I think this is part of the issue with garage, and I think I will risk just putting a 1200 gauge membrane down on the floor & then raising the floor attaching it to the stud walls - anything else sounds too expensive when we want to move in a few years (when the market picks up (ha!)), so trying to limit expenditure when already replacing all windows, new kitchen, bathroom and a lot of ground works to the garden!  I have invested a lot in time and money over the last two years building up my kit and making the workshop a warm place to be over the winter.  Just had to spend £450 on a sparky to install a new consumer unit in the house to supply the garage with 6mm cable a consumer unit in the garage with all the sockets and wiring that I did, he just connected them up, checked it passed it.  I do not think my wife will let me spend anymore and thinks I live in there anyway!

I have just now added some extra photos in my gallery if anyone wishes to take a look, I now want to get on with my apprenticeship and start making some pieces, i have a real attraction to nice boxes, which is what i plan to do mostly.

As the garage has sat ther for over thirty years or more,I suppose what I am doing really won't make a lot of difference?

27/10/2008 15:02:00

Hi Andy,

How could I tell if there is one or not?

When i knocked a hole through for the side door earlier this year, there only appears to be a membrane the width of the brick.

Although, again, the damp is definately coming in between the first course of brick and the slab.

If i now put a membrane the full length of the garage and about two foot up each wall, underneath my stud and underneath the membrane down the wall, therefore giving myself a barrier.

I also intend over the next few weekends to dig out all the way round the perimeter were possible and run some chippings in.

The garage must have been there over 35 years and the slab looks fine, as far as I can tell - but that's not saying a lot really!

25/10/2008 23:16:00

Hi Roger,

The dpc is just a single brick width thick, so cannot be punctured, or surely it would not make any difference?

When we purchased the house 6 years ago my neighbours drive looked old then and my other neighbour, well his tree must have been there 20 years, judging by the thickness of that flowering cherries trunk!

And thanks again Mike, but my other issue is the very rough finish on the concrete slab, which makes cleaning and moving castered equipment around a nightmare, things jump off shelves just with dragging them around on that workshop floor.

I have now finished lining all my walls, installed all the trunking and sockets for my power, now need an electrician to wire & certify, as consumer unit has been added.

Once that is done I can get some heat back on in there & try to get things dry prior to tackling the floor - not a good time of year really!

30/09/2008 13:34:00

Thanks again Cedric, will keep you posted!

also many thanks to Andy, never heard of the 'french trench', or is that just the regular opposition our European partner keeps subjecting us to?

Afraid the garden would not sustain such are large drainage pit, will have to do with a line of chippings down the side, and I will try to aid runoff down the side garden as it is on quite a slope!

Thanks again to everyone, I will post some more workshop pictures later on - I now have to get everything done before winter really sets in, or I may have some serious issues!

21/09/2008 21:17:00

Hi Cedric,

sorry, not had chance to get on recently - thank you again for your help. 

I have started by continuing with the stud\walls so iac can put the rest of the wall membrane in - then i will suspend the floor, running again a full damp proof membrane on the floor front to back and up the side wall membrane by a foot or so.

I spent the weekend painting all boards on the outside of the garage & had a quick look at the roof, all looks ok externally.

Last year I made a very large mobile cupboard for a lot of my stuff, I cut this down by half recently to make more space and get cupboards that are off the floor - my point is though that is only untreated wood that seems to get the mildew style mold on it, and its ply I have the issue with? - i noticed that inside the cupboard in the recesses, there is bad mold in some, but not in all, so I have cleanded them up & painted these as well.

As also mentioned, the neighbour has now just cut down his tree and i will go around the perimeter of the building and dig out then fill with chippings to aid drainage.

14/09/2008 22:38:00

Hi Mike & Cedric - all staying up late tonight!

I have just posted some pictures in the gallery, a bit tentative about doing that, although you can see from the August 2007 picture when i had to put the wifes car in the garage everynight, during the winter with all the salt - geezz, that used to be a nightmare!  talked her into a newer car, and she can't get it in the garage - success, my own workshop.

2008 shows with part done walls, taken either end, the one towards the end with the wall done, with my clamps and all has a window behind the two panels.  I do have a lot of stuff in there, loads of good  kit bought second hand & new.

Sorry - Cedric - I have never had a problem with condensation on the garage door, and I use either and oil filled electric heater and an enclosed convector heater hung on one wall.  - Thanks all again

Will now post some more pictures as the workshop progresses!

14/09/2008 21:49:00

Thanks Mike,

I have had a chat with my neighbours, one has said he will drop the level of his garden at the back of my garage, where most of the water is coming from.

The neighbour with the drive on the side is not planning to have his drive re-laid, therefore I cannot eradicate that issue, without a lot of expense on my part.

I forgot to mention that I had put a base in for a shed on my side, but left about an inch between the base and the garage to let water through, should I widen this and put in a gully, as the sheds had it anyway and needs replacing and would be a good time to get things sorted on my side of the fence!

The garden is not very big & I wanted to run a couple of flag widths down the side of the garage to give me a walkway and somewhere to add a few pots - as at one time this was a flower bed, which i have removed as i do not think this was helping - my question is, I presume I need to run a gully down the entire length & keep the flag levels either equal to or below the level of my garage slab, with gradient into the gully?

14/09/2008 21:23:00

Firstly Baz - I think, enjoying gardening as I do, that the slab is on a clay base, as you cannot did down far without hitting the clay.

Thanks Cedric, all my tools are either off the floor in cuboards that are mobile, or hung on the walls that has the full membrane top to bottom, stud wall with insulation and then 6mm ply - as i was worried about the damp floors.

The rockwool I purchased is narrower than the width of the beams, therefore generally I thought that there was airspace between the ceiling & roof.  also, the barge boards (think i have got that right) are only just below the end of the rafters on the outside and are not sealed, I thought that it felt like there was enough of the outside air coming in?

Funnily, the main place I have noticed the most prolific growth, is roughly about 2 foot from the exit of my suspended air filtration unit.

Only a few months ago, I replaced a very old rotten wooden window in the garage for a UPVC jobby and also added a UPVC side door, as I always had to go in through the up & over, which was both a little noisy late at night and kept putting all my kit on show when I opened the garage door.

Comment here for Mike, thanks again, I think that the dpc appears to be just the thickness of the brick and appears to be generally the first course above ground level - where it is above ground!!

Just one more issue, I live in Rossendale, Lancashire - apparently the third wettest place in the UK!  The houses are built from London brick, not very suitable for our area.

My back wall on the house a couple of years ago became completely porus and had to be rendered to stop the water being driven through this wall.

I think I am having the same prblem with the garage walls, as when you drill them, they are damp inplaces quite a way throgh the actual brick.

I think i have just realised that I may have multiple issues here - maybe moving is a better idea?

12/09/2008 12:48:00

Thanks Mike & Dave,

the garage is brick built, appears to be bulit on the solid single slab.  Its a single detached away from the house at the bottom of the back garden.

The houses were bulit on a slope and my neighbours house drive runs down by the side of my garage, his driveway near the top is just by a cm or two, below my DPC.

it has a flat roof with a very slight pitch and external guttering that goes to foul.

My neigbour on the side, his back garden runs to the back of my garage and again, the ground is virtually level with my DPC on the garage.

He cut down a big tree near to my garage, as the roots were starting to pop through underneath between the slab and DPC.

I thought that if i put a full membrane down on the floor, the damp cannot get through?  Would this solve my problem.

11/09/2008 23:07:00

Thanks Richard,

I presume that if I suspend a floor from the stud walls with DP membrane running underneath nearest the concrete & then partially up the side walls, inside the wall DP membrane, that should fix it.

Will my garage door continue to be a problem, although a modern up and over, there are gaps down the side and when the weather is pretty rough, it gets forced under the door onto the floor - again, more issues I presume.

10/09/2008 23:27:00

Hi,

I have been building up my woodworking tools for a couple of years, I am not from the trade & learning all the time - at just over 40, hopefully I will be half decent by the time I come to retire - a reasonable apprenticeship!

My problem is one of damp!  I work out of my garage (hobby), and have tried to insulate it to keep warmer in the winter & reduce noise levels, as the only time I get to play out is a couple of evenings a week from about 7pm to 10pm.

Anyway, the garage is single skinned and I have managed to get about half way round with vi-screen & studded the walls then put rock wool in-between & then 6mm ply panels.

The roof is a flat one and I just put rock wool in-between the rafters and then the ply.

I have only had the roof done about 4 months and have noticed mold starting to form.

There has always been an issue as the DPC is very low and damp does seep in across the floor.  It also has the metal up & over door at present.  Even before I started getting too much stuff, i noticed that plywood would just start to get mold on it whilst in the garage

Having spent so much time & effort (and money) on kit & trying to build myself a nice little bolt hole, I am afraid I have no idea how to combat the rising damp!

Do I need to keep heaters on all the time?  Is it an airflow problem?

Just as matter of interest, as I suffer a little from the dust, I spent quite few quid buying one of those air filtration systems, but my roof is only standard height, so it is maybe a little low - could this make the issue worse.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thread: knock-down Bed Rail Fasteners
05/02/2008 10:19:00

I have been searching for ages for these - thanks very much guys - i should have known better & put a post on the forum.

The little one (young daughter) wanted a mid sleeper bed & decided to base it on a swedish style bed - wanted it to be knock down & would have saved myself a HUGE amount of time and effort having to cut mortise & tenons for the whole lot.

Well its nearly done now, and we are about to move, so i can build the next one a bit faster, still saved myself about £250 on the retail by building it.

I went to Browns timber in Blackburn, which was a recommendation by you guys, good outfit and they don't sting me for being a hobbyist (retail)

Thanks again

Thread: which router?
20/10/2007 10:30:00

I might be wrong, but a large amount of parts and motors are manufactured in China, shipped to assembly plants across Europe, then designer badges are stuck on the outside and the price is doubled?

I know some of the import stuff is cheap and inferior, but with routers, i found that you need 3 -  a heavy duty one the router table, a hand held one for smaller lightweight jobs and one set up for jigs, like dovetails and signcraft, as the set uptime could take me an hour to swap plates, or take it of the table and then re-centre it again.

At £50 to £80 quid a throw and get three or fours years out of them, i feel that they are not bad value for money.

This goes back to my question about the large morticer, i decided to purchase the SIP machine and got a fantastic deal from a dealer, however, there are at leat five branded machines out there all with different badges, but are the same machine?

Thread: Biscuit jointers ~ good or bad?
11/09/2007 09:37:00
As a novice, i was reluctant to use one as i thought/believed that i should make joints in the traditional way - however, if your making something for a friend or just struggling for time - as i always appear to be - its a quick fix, it makes accurate joints and i like using it for jointing up boards.
Thread: DAMP - Please help
12/11/2008 23:03:00

Jeez guys,

I have not been on for awhile and cannot believe all the additional postings!

Now I am really confused.

Having taken another look, the water ingress is over the top of the slab and appears to be coming in through the brickwork.

I know we have had a problem before with the house (detached from the garage), as up here int north it gets a bit chilly and they made the properties from London brick which is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard around here and all the properties have a lot of spalling and the rear of the house had to be rendered as the wind coming off the pennine chain drives the rain through the walls, many houses have been rendered to stop this, I think this is part of the issue with garage, and I think I will risk just putting a 1200 gauge membrane down on the floor & then raising the floor attaching it to the stud walls - anything else sounds too expensive when we want to move in a few years (when the market picks up (ha!)), so trying to limit expenditure when already replacing all windows, new kitchen, bathroom and a lot of ground works to the garden!  I have invested a lot in time and money over the last two years building up my kit and making the workshop a warm place to be over the winter.  Just had to spend £450 on a sparky to install a new consumer unit in the house to supply the garage with 6mm cable a consumer unit in the garage with all the sockets and wiring that I did, he just connected them up, checked it passed it.  I do not think my wife will let me spend anymore and thinks I live in there anyway!

I have just now added some extra photos in my gallery if anyone wishes to take a look, I now want to get on with my apprenticeship and start making some pieces, i have a real attraction to nice boxes, which is what i plan to do mostly.

As the garage has sat ther for over thirty years or more,I suppose what I am doing really won't make a lot of difference?

27/10/2008 15:02:00

Hi Andy,

How could I tell if there is one or not?

When i knocked a hole through for the side door earlier this year, there only appears to be a membrane the width of the brick.

Although, again, the damp is definately coming in between the first course of brick and the slab.

If i now put a membrane the full length of the garage and about two foot up each wall, underneath my stud and underneath the membrane down the wall, therefore giving myself a barrier.

I also intend over the next few weekends to dig out all the way round the perimeter were possible and run some chippings in.

The garage must have been there over 35 years and the slab looks fine, as far as I can tell - but that's not saying a lot really!

25/10/2008 23:16:00

Hi Roger,

The dpc is just a single brick width thick, so cannot be punctured, or surely it would not make any difference?

When we purchased the house 6 years ago my neighbours drive looked old then and my other neighbour, well his tree must have been there 20 years, judging by the thickness of that flowering cherries trunk!

And thanks again Mike, but my other issue is the very rough finish on the concrete slab, which makes cleaning and moving castered equipment around a nightmare, things jump off shelves just with dragging them around on that workshop floor.

I have now finished lining all my walls, installed all the trunking and sockets for my power, now need an electrician to wire & certify, as consumer unit has been added.

Once that is done I can get some heat back on in there & try to get things dry prior to tackling the floor - not a good time of year really!

30/09/2008 13:34:00

Thanks again Cedric, will keep you posted!

also many thanks to Andy, never heard of the 'french trench', or is that just the regular opposition our European partner keeps subjecting us to?

Afraid the garden would not sustain such are large drainage pit, will have to do with a line of chippings down the side, and I will try to aid runoff down the side garden as it is on quite a slope!

Thanks again to everyone, I will post some more workshop pictures later on - I now have to get everything done before winter really sets in, or I may have some serious issues!

21/09/2008 21:17:00

Hi Cedric,

sorry, not had chance to get on recently - thank you again for your help. 

I have started by continuing with the stud\walls so iac can put the rest of the wall membrane in - then i will suspend the floor, running again a full damp proof membrane on the floor front to back and up the side wall membrane by a foot or so.

I spent the weekend painting all boards on the outside of the garage & had a quick look at the roof, all looks ok externally.

Last year I made a very large mobile cupboard for a lot of my stuff, I cut this down by half recently to make more space and get cupboards that are off the floor - my point is though that is only untreated wood that seems to get the mildew style mold on it, and its ply I have the issue with? - i noticed that inside the cupboard in the recesses, there is bad mold in some, but not in all, so I have cleanded them up & painted these as well.

As also mentioned, the neighbour has now just cut down his tree and i will go around the perimeter of the building and dig out then fill with chippings to aid drainage.

14/09/2008 22:38:00

Hi Mike & Cedric - all staying up late tonight!

I have just posted some pictures in the gallery, a bit tentative about doing that, although you can see from the August 2007 picture when i had to put the wifes car in the garage everynight, during the winter with all the salt - geezz, that used to be a nightmare!  talked her into a newer car, and she can't get it in the garage - success, my own workshop.

2008 shows with part done walls, taken either end, the one towards the end with the wall done, with my clamps and all has a window behind the two panels.  I do have a lot of stuff in there, loads of good  kit bought second hand & new.

Sorry - Cedric - I have never had a problem with condensation on the garage door, and I use either and oil filled electric heater and an enclosed convector heater hung on one wall.  - Thanks all again

Will now post some more pictures as the workshop progresses!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact