By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for steve h

Here is a list of all the postings steve h has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Workbench
05/11/2015 13:52:06

Hi Clive - I made an Holtzapffel work bench and there are some images in my photos, I have since made a cupboard and end vices - great bench and will out last me! I did a lot of research before I opted for this bench, but found **LINK** very helpful -

Hope this helps

Steve

Edited By steve h on 05/11/2015 13:57:07

05/11/2015 13:44:39

Hi Clive - I made an Holtzapffel work bench and there are some images in my photos, I have since made a cupboard and end vices - great bench and will out last me! I did a lot of research before I opted for this bench, but found **LINK** very helpful -

Hope this helps

Steve

Thread: Incra System
04/11/2015 13:36:40

Hello all

I am interested in purchasing the Incra LS super system and wondered if any of you out there had taken the plunge? I know that they are expensive (under statement), but for me its more about time! I don't get much time in the garage anymore and when I do, most of it is spent setting things up!

This is the one with the saw fence system and the router system all in one.

I have done a huge amount of research, but its always nice to get a UK perspective from someone that uses theirs frequently.

I am sure that there was an article in one of the magazines about a box maker that used one all the time?

Many thanks

Steve

Thread: Axminster AWFS18 Scroll Saw
04/11/2015 13:04:22

I purchased this item last Christmas from Axminster has done less than 2 hours work!! I just really did not have the time I thought I would have had to teach myself. I also purchased the upgrade items from Hegner which includes the quick release steel roller bearings and the quick release blade clamp.
The machine has a few scratches from fastening it down to a bench and there is a vacuum attachment piece that is missing from the product – as I attached my own system to the machine – otherwise – you are practically getting a new machine.
The machine sells for £429.00 on Axminster’s website. Considering the cost new, the upgrades and all the free blades – there is an opportunity to save yourself some cash!! - I would like £320.00 for it.

I live in Lancashire and collection would be preferable - I can check for posting if required - it will be heavy though as the machine weighs 29kgs.

I will add some pictures later this evening.

Please PM me if interested.

Thanks

Steve

Thread: The North of England Woodworking and Power Tool Show
27/10/2014 14:16:31

Hello all -

Just wondering if any of you gents or ladies are intending to visit the greatest show on earth "The North of England Woodworking and Power Tool Show" in November -

Well, anyway, I will be kicking around on the Sunday if anyone wants to meet up for a coffee??

Cheers -

Steve

Thread: teak rememberance bowl.
24/10/2014 15:31:32

Always wondered from your picture Dennis - I echo the sentiments of the others.

Steve

Ooops - sorry, nice turning as well!!

Thread: yet more pressies
24/10/2014 15:28:28

Fantastic Sam -

Love what you can do with a simple bit of design (and a lot of skill) -

Its the snowmen and the leaves for me!

Steve

Thread: Table Saw Safety
24/10/2014 15:22:44

Thanks Al - apologies for the lateness of my reply -

Following several attempts to make the suspended part, I gave up and purchased the Axminster one.

My main issue was that when the blade cover lifted it always traveled forward at the same time, making it very difficult to use.

The Axminster one is very good and they got around the issue (I had never seen this on any other one on the internet) they had a sliding top piece which allows you to move the cover backwards and forwards as well as a rise and fall.

The steel pipework is also very heavy and had to do lots of adjustments and also have to rig up a support from my ceiling to support the weight of the pipe as it spans out across the saw table.

Well - no excuses now (besides a lack of time embarrassed) to get back on with it - cleaned up the garage got everything sorted and.......................................................................................................................................................................??

10/10/2014 13:19:06

Hello all -

I have again been out of the workshop for some time and with the intention of getting back in again, I decided that I wanted to make my own table saw guard.

I have a SIP 10" cast iron table saw and wanted to remove the propriety blade guard. I removed the riving knife and made the slot longer, which allows the riving knife to sit about 4mm lower than the blade, so material can pass over the top.

I then set about making an additional side support table that I could fix a support pillar to the branch across the top of the table to suspend a clear acrylic guard that I have knocked together.

This will be then be fixed to the overhead beam and through a series of brackets, will rise and fall whilst not being attached to anything.

I know Axminster do a kit for this, but did not want to part with £160.00 and the reviews are not all the brilliant.

Bottom line is: Is this a safe method of using the saw?

Your comments/thoughts please

Thanks

Steve

Thread: I'm only a Trainee
30/06/2014 14:23:51

Lovely piece Sam - the face is really good.

Steve

Thread: Home Office
30/06/2014 14:21:24

A very nice piece Michael, a few brownie points there I should imagine??

Steve

Thread: Piano girls
30/06/2014 14:16:50

Another fantastic piece of work Robert!

Thread: teak square bowl
07/06/2014 09:26:15

Nice piece Dennis - always a little scary turning those square bowls - had a rather large thumb on one occasion as result - the hard way of learning!!

Steve

Thread: Swaggy and aborigine elder
07/06/2014 09:22:53

You have probably been asked many times Robert - how long would it take you to make a piece like that?

Thanks

Steve

Thread: Decked Out
07/06/2014 09:18:59

Thanks Steven, was hoping to complete the last section - hopefully tomorrow now as the weather is none to clever today!!

I did have a plan in my head - but in truth, it kind of 'evolved' as I went along!

The girls seem to like it and we are taking every opportunity to get out there.

Thanks - Steve

Thread: Concealed cupboards
02/06/2014 22:57:33

Always enjoy looking at your work, you always make it look so easy.

Steve

Thread: First Hand Made Project
02/06/2014 22:49:35

Very nice first piece, much better than mine, as i recall, still cannot believe you get away with doing it in the lounge!!!!

Steve

Thread: Swaggy and aborigine elder
02/06/2014 22:45:05

More stunning work, from an art perspective, I really like the second piece, but that is just personal preference.

Steve

Thread: Box on stand
02/06/2014 22:41:31

Lovely piece of work Derek,, i agree with Dennis, the symmetry of the piece is excellent.

Steve

Thread: Decked Out
02/06/2014 12:25:38

Hello all -

As a way of getting back in the saddle and to start up my hobby again, I thought a little decking decking project would wet my appetite?

Just as a matter of interest, I have not turned anything for nearly 18 months and have only made the odd small item -

Anyway - its nearly complete, there is a section to finish down by the side of the garage, but it is getting there.

dscf0238[1].jpg

dscf0228[1].jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact