By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Riley

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Riley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: bread board
17/01/2009 15:34:12
Olly, as I said above I'm pretty sure but absolutely willing to be proved wrong that boiled linseed contains heavy metal driers (toxic)  which renders it not food safe. Having said that I don't have any to hand to check. 

Cheers Mike  
16/01/2009 15:44:30
Ron - I didn't think boiled linseed was food safe as it contains metal driers. Is that not the case? I love the smell of it though. 

Mike G - Doesn't olive oil go rancid over time ? 

I've always left my boards unfinished, they seem to stand up to use fine. 

Cheers Mike  
Thread: Surface Preparation
04/01/2009 23:22:00
Blades only for me, if a plane can't cope I might move onto a card scraper or a no 80 style cabinet scraper. I have yet to see a finish from the blade that could be improved with sanding. Seeing as my stock prep is all done with planes I seem to arrive at a finished state as part of the process without having to tun to abrasives. Cheer Mike
Thread: Shoulder planes
12/12/2008 12:34:00
Some one more cynical than myself would point to Axminster's being the sole point of entry to the country for Veritas and Lee Nielsen tools as perhaps having something to do with the price and particularly the recent raises in it. Having said that LN prices have remained static for several years and they claim that the recent raises are necessary to reflect increased costs of business which until now they have largely swallowed, Lee Valley continue to innovate and that development obviously costs - again justification for prices to increase perhaps. Meanwhile back on topic hav you looked the new Phillyplanes shoulder planes? I haven't seen one in the flesh yet but they certainly look the business. http://www.phillyplanes.co.uk/ Cheers Mike
Thread: Bandsaw sparks!
01/12/2008 00:21:00
That's what I thought you were referring to. As I say check that the side bearings aren't pinching the blade when running and, less likely, that the blade is between the guides rather than outside. Cheers Mike
01/12/2008 00:05:00
If I'm right in thinking that by back bearing you're referring to the thrust guide that sits behind the blade in line with the cut, and if the sparking is coming from this area I would look at the guides left and right of the blade in front of the rear guide and check that the blade hasn't jumped out of position. ie it is now to the left or right of the guides rather thn between them. Another possibility might be that the guides have closed up on the blade and are now pinching it causing the sparking, the side guides shouldn't touch the blade in operation, if they do that will cause sparking. Cheers Mike
Thread: Pic 36
21/11/2008 17:11:00
Funnily enough I measured mine this morning, it's 29 3/4 from floor to top give or take an 16th either way. Cheers Mike
Thread: The John Brown inspired Welsh chair.
21/11/2008 11:57:00
That might have been amusing. Nicely made chair. They look horribly complex to me. Cheers Mike
Thread: A loss for Welsh chairmaking
19/11/2008 14:44:00
It;'s definitely in their printed catalogue which I appear to have lost, though if I find it I'll come back with the details you could always contact them. CHeers Mike
Thread: Biscuit jointers ~ good or bad?
14/11/2008 16:44:00
None taken, I'm not particularly stuck in my ways, in fact I started out with an entirely powered workshop, little by little I've given up on the power tools. The table saw hasn't been used for perhaps 5 years the Router about the same length of time, apart from it's use as a doorstop that is. SO you see I started with electrickery and then went meat powered instead. Much more satisfying, I have more control, a lot of the time I can work faster than with powered kit and my results are better than I can achieve with power tools. Sawing for example, I can split a line with my 15 quid B&Q handsaw, I could never do that with my 200 table saw, which is one of the reasons I can't be bothered with the power tools any more. I have recently (this year) acquired a bandsaw and use that quite a lot now. Cheers Mike
Thread: steel supplies
14/11/2008 16:35:00
www.cromwells.co.uk carries 01 tool steel stock - search for ground flat stock or alternately Tilgear (http://www.tilgear.info/) also carries it in a variety of sizes Workshop heaven as Ben says also carries ground stock but I think it may be of the more fancy multifolded Japanese or white paper ilk for making damascus blades Mathew will correct me I'm sure. Both Cromwell and TIlgear still is annealed and comes with instructions for tempering should you want guidance. Forgot to say Leaf springs work well as well, I have several irons made from Mk2 land rover springs, get your friendly local blacksmith to hammer them flat for you. Cheers Mike
Thread: Biscuit jointers ~ good or bad?
13/11/2008 13:52:00
" Does anyone still use a moulding plane? brace and bit? rebate plane? No? why not? I know, because we've got spindle moulders, routers and electricity. " I beg to differ but then I'm fast becoming the pet luddite. I use moulding planes. I use my Record 405 plough quite a lot, I have a brace and bit that gets used sometimes though admittedly not often. I do have a router, and as I've said before I use it for propping the workshop door open on sunny days. There's always one eh ? (and it's usually me). Cheers Mike
13/11/2008 10:50:00
Not sure what I would use one for really. When I first started out I thought I might need one, never bought one and now cant see the point. Possibly I can see a use for holding edge jointed boards in alignment while the glue cures but then if you cramp up properly this shouldn't a huge issue and you'll be coming back to the glued boards with a plane anyway won't you? ' Least that's the way I do it. Cheers Mike
Thread: IWEX 2009
07/11/2008 17:23:00
Oh dear IWEX = International Water and Effluent Treatment Exhibition. Cheers Mike
Thread: In this month's Good Woodworking
26/10/2008 21:37:00
There's one o UKW though sadly neglected but it shows the way so to speak. Google maps API ftw. Cheers Mike
Thread: Bandsaw Vs Tablesaw
24/10/2008 17:28:00
What's the difference between the 4 inch resawing I regularly do and the a 3 inch rip ? My bandsaw (record BS300X handles it fine and it's by no means the biggest on the market nor the most expensive at roughly 500 inc vat and ex shopping around ( I think I actually paid a shade under 450 or $700 . Perhaps I'm missing your point Warren ? Cheers Mike
24/10/2008 10:38:00
I have a Record, and while I have no experience of other brands, the Record comes with a 5 year guarantee and a dealership that's not too far away should I need them. Nice solid machines from what I've seen of them. Mine has performed flawlessly since I 've had it. Theres a review of it somewhere on this site. Cheers MIke
22/10/2008 10:23:00
Another vote for the bandsaw here. I bought a cheap Performance brand table saw when I was starting out to gowith my checked shirt and regardless of whatever modifications I might make to it, it remains rubbish and dangerous. It sits in the corner of the workshop as a storage surface now because I'm too lazy to take it apart and tip it. The only thing you can't do with a bandsaw is make cuts in the centre of sheet goods and I have handsaws in the tool box for that. Nor do I find bandsaw cuts to be inaccurate, I think it's a question of setup. The blades can leave a rough finish but then that rather depends on the blade in use and in my case it doesn't matter anyway as every thing that needs it gets planed to finish anyway. The bandsaw is my only machine (other than a bench drill with a broken depth stop ( I really must fix that). Cheers Mike
Thread: I am thinking of creating a website.......any suggestions?
15/10/2008 11:51:00
I wouldn't imagine you'll need online commerce facilities at all. I don't envisage your clientele wanting to pay by Paypal or whatever for a dresser. Nor for that matter do I imagine that the dresser will be sat there on spec waiting to be sold. The important elements are going to be the photography and a good gallery. A maker's statement is important I think and a contact details page which should have a phone number and office / workshop address at the least. Personally I wouldn't bother with blogger or blogging, get a domain name (garhnamstudios.co.uk, garnhamfurniture.co.uk or similar) and find some web hosting. Again personally for this kind of application I might ignore the cms type sites unless you want to get into some heavy template editing and go bespoke and hand coded, Now I really must get back in the workshop and finish off my latest piece of butchery. Cheers Mike
Thread: Sapwood in Walnut
15/10/2008 09:59:00
Mike (G) where are you based? Yandles generally have piles of air dried ash. Probably too far from you I'm guessing. Cheers Mike
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact