By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Allen

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Allen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ANKLE DEEP IN SAWDUST
24/08/2009 12:21:17
Also, the Scheppach Capas3 looks like they have solved the problem with a large cowl and an exit through the back of the unit, so the bag is under the sliding bars. It can be done, Herr Bosch!
23/08/2009 11:33:28
Looking again at my old 35 quid Performance Pro compound mitre saw from B&Q, now in the old tools retirement cupboard, i realised that that did a very good job of trapping the dust. The bag is still positioned on top but It has a wide capture cowl that is strategically placed and problem solved. Is Bosch too snooty to learn from the cheapos?
Thread: IN A FIGHT...
22/08/2009 14:48:26
OPJ - you're probably right. I'll check out Clarke and Axminster is always good value.
22/08/2009 14:45:16
thanks Al, it's what i had in mind so that's encouraging.
22/08/2009 13:15:00
from T Allen to Alan T, - some well made points for pro carpenters, kitchen fitters etc but my concern is just the quantity of dust that builds up in a small workshop even after just a few uses. It really needs a redesign by the manufacturers to trap these chippings. Hoping that this debris travelling about 100 mph (I'm guessing) will obediently turn upwards and deposit itself in a spout with a bag on it, is a classic case of  hope over reality. If the designers just looked at the dust's trajectory and repositioned the bag there, then we would all be happy. In the meantime, from what i have heard from others, I'm just going to have to build some sort of containment cowell. And yes, wear a mask and goggles.
Thread: IN A FIGHT...
21/08/2009 22:03:09
In a fight, who would win - Sealey or Draper? I'm looking to buy a pillar drill, probably radial given that i have a very tiny workshop. I'll be drilling metal as well as wood. So who's best, Sealey or Draper, or maybe some other manufacturer? What  about Scheppach? The specs for both S and D are very, very similar. Or do i just go by price and whether i like black or red?

Edited By Tony Allen on 21/08/2009 22:09:02

Thread: reclaimed oak panneling c/w woodworm
21/08/2009 15:28:25
The only "weakness" i can see in your Plan is in choosing to clad your walls in wood. But there you are, it's all a matter of taste.
21/08/2009 15:15:28
Just bought the Bosch sliding compound mitre saw after months of research and saving of pennies. It's sexy and does an excellent job. EXCEPT for its dust extraction. The chippings shoot away from the saw, hitting the back of the unit and splay left and right leaving me, in my little workshop, ankle deep in saw dust. The bag that is supposed to collect all this debris is as clean and dust free as when i took it out of the box. Even attaching my high powerd vacuum to the outlet makes no difference.
Bosch technicians just scratch their heads and can't understand why it happens but there is nothing different about my machine than what is advertised so that's it! Anyone else had this problem and have you found a solution?

Edited By Tony Allen on 21/08/2009 15:18:09

Edited By Tony Allen on 21/08/2009 15:22:43

Thread: EINHELL - or einheaven?
19/03/2009 23:06:30
Thanks very much Ron, Malc, Derek and Big Al, I think I've got the message. I'm not going to be a heavy user but i must have accuracy and i don't want to be upgrading in a years time so I'll pay more and go for a more established and trusted name.
19/03/2009 15:45:58
Einhell RTSM305L Red Sliding Mitresaw

At £135 this looks like a very good deal from TOOLBANK, but is the product just cheap-and-nasty or is it a real bargain? Do you know  the EINHELL  brand (I've never heard of it) and can they be trusted?
Thread: ALLY PALLY WOODWORK EXHIBITION
15/02/2009 13:22:29
thanks Andy and Ray for the Haffix tip off.
Something i forgot to question was why Woodworker magazine advertised the show as £9.50 but in fact it was only £7.50 to get in on the day.
14/02/2009 17:32:20
Disappointing. That's how i would sum it up. I was really looking forward to it, it being my first visit. Few exhibitors and on the Friday very few of us punters. Did the snowy weather have an effect? I did buy some nice bits-n-pieces but no big bargains.  Where were the big boys like B&D and De Walt? Would i go next year? Probably not.
However, there was a small stand selling an impressive 'super' type glue and I forgot to go back and buy, and now i can't remember the name. Can anyone help?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact