By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Blondy_UK

Here is a list of all the postings Blondy_UK has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Finish for a small beech jewelery box
14/09/2009 08:08:42
I have been looking in the normal diy stores but cant seem to find any sanding sealer, i have seen it at online stores but does anyone know where it can be purchased instore?
thanks Paul.
Thread: Router table
14/09/2009 08:04:45
Still havn't made my router table, as i have no table insert yet i thought of getting this Dakota Table http://www.rutlands.co.uk/power-tools-&-accessories/routing/router-tables/DK2009/deluxe-full-size-router-table

Any thoughts or advice on these tables.
Thanks for looking, Paul
Thread: Finish for a small beech jewelery box
02/09/2009 23:13:57
Thanks for the replies, i will look further into the use of sanding sealer and wax, before posting the question on here i had thought of using Rustins danish oil but then i dont really know anything about wood finishes. I still have some Colouron neutral coloured wax left over from a small unit that i made from beech covered chipboard some years back, as for pictures Marc, i'm not really confident with the idea of posting photo's of my first attempt of woodworking on here. Saying that, if the wife doesn't laugh at it when i give it to her then i may think again. I will take some pics anyway. thanks again.

Paul
02/09/2009 14:16:29
hi can any one suggest a nice finish for a small jewelery box made from beech, it is first thing that i have completed using any wood other than MDF or chipboard since leaving school 25 years ago. At school i think we used shellac on some small pine table but upon leaving school i went into vehicle repairs and welding so not really had to use wood finishes. Paul
Thread: Router table
10/06/2009 07:46:26
That's settled then, worktop it is. i'll be on the lookout for some offcuts, they have them in the local B&Q sometimes.
Thanks Oddjob.
09/06/2009 20:08:19
Sorry Alan your post appeared after i posted mine, (not too fast at typing me). Worktop that i have used looks as though it has some sort of brown paper on the bottom, maybe i am wrong but if i can use worktop without it warping over time then that would be an ideal solution for me.
Paul.
09/06/2009 20:01:38
Thanks George, if using kitchen top would the bottom need to be covered, and if so what would you recommend?
09/06/2009 19:41:59
Thanks for the replies, my details are filled in with my location but i cant see anything in the profile page that asks for town, only country. i will look again at my details/ profile and see where I'm going wrong.

I have thought about kitchen worktop but the bottom of them is not covered with the same material and i have read that both top and bottom needs to be covered so the table stays flat and stable. But if worktop is acceptable then i will use that, it would save gluing to pieces of 18mm together then having to cover it.
thanks again Paul
09/06/2009 08:30:48
hi, i've be looking at building a router table for some time now, the one i have decided on requires 2 pieces of 18mm MDF or 18mm ply laminated together then covered either side with melamine or formica to protect the surface. does anyone have any ideas where this can be obtained or have any other ideas of covering the table top? 

I tend to do plenty of research before starting a project so i am in no hurry but i like to know where i can get what i need and to try and work out any problems i might have before i comit. 
Thanks Paul.
Thread: Cutting Speed
13/05/2009 23:43:39
thanks Richard i will have a look for a wider blade, not sure how wide i can go on my saw but i will have a look for the manual, it may say in there.

Paul
13/05/2009 21:57:16
i didn't realize that, i have only one blade that i got from screwfix which is 6tpi and 1/2" wide. is that ok for resawing or would i benefit from a narrower blade 1/4" perhaps?
13/05/2009 21:15:58
hi, i was wondering if there is a preferred speed for cutting beech on a bandsaw.
i have a small elektra beckum 315 bandsaw, it has two speeds 380RPM and 780RPM i think. would the speed need to be changed for cutting 20mm boards or resawing 6" slices? thanks for any advice on this.
Thread: mitre guide
26/02/2009 20:04:32
I have got a small fence that i could use, the slider bar is slightly too wide for the slot but i am sure that i can get it to fit with a bit of filing or sanding with some wet/dry.
25/02/2009 08:30:44
hi Derek, no i havn't tried to contact them. i didn't think they traded any more.
i am not in a hurry to find one but i was just browsing the Trend web site and noticed that the guide had a slider similarly looking to the slot on my saw bed, so it got me thinking.  i thought i would ask on here to see if anyone has used one.
i will be getting one soon, so i am always thiking about my options.
thanks Derek. 
23/02/2009 19:36:41
Would anyone know if the Trend  MITRE/1   http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/product/MITRE_1/3/197/mitre_fence_complete_alloy_.html    will fit my Electra Beckam BAS 315 Band Saw, i got it second hand and the guide was missing. The slider bar on the Trend one looks like it would fit the channal on the bandsaw table?
Thread: New Planer
20/02/2009 17:14:47
I have been looking at surface planers/thicknessers lately with a view to buying one. i have an old nutool thicknesser thats about 4 years old which when i bought it i didn't know that the timber had to have a flat face to start with. i have just built a large shed 8' x 15' that i will be using for woodworking/diy and have been picking up some bits of kit and wanted any thoughts or comments on this planer http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81126/Power-Tools/Benchtop-Woodworking/Erbauer-ERB-052-BTE-204mm-Planer-Thicknesser

i wont be using it for commercial purposes but i wanted one bigger than the 6"  one's in B&Q.
Thread: Bench top
08/02/2009 10:53:55
thanks for the links, there is a supplier just 3 miles up the road(Good Timber).
07/02/2009 15:28:38
thanks for all of your replies, i have an amount of beech that i have had for a couple of years which i am using for the legs, feet and bearers for the bench but i have not got any that would be long enough for the top or stretchers to join the two leg assemblies. the reason i was thinking about using the oak sleepers was the price but never even knew that it could react with any metalwork. does anyone know of any good timber suppliers in Daventry or Northampton?
06/02/2009 20:53:35
Hi all, i have been looking at lots of different web sites at various  woodworking projects for some time now and thought i had better submit my first post.

i am building my first bench and was thinking of using some new untreated oak sleepers(8"x4"x6' ) cut into 2" strips and gluing them side by side (2"x4"x6' ) getting 4 strips from each beam for the top of the bench.

i would appreciate any thoughts on this idea or any other heavy wood that i could use for this at a decent price. the sleepers are about £14 each.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact