By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Blondy_UK

Here is a list of all the postings Blondy_UK has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Box Making, Part 1
19/03/2010 20:41:49
Thanks Sparky, i'll go and have a look at suggestions.
19/03/2010 15:55:11
Great videos, just in time for me to make another small box. Any ideas where i can get some of that edging, i have phoned some local companies and asked for 3mm stringing but they say they dont stock it? or maybe they dont know what i am on about. 
Thanks for any help, Paul
Thread: cherry table
28/11/2009 14:55:38
hi Jay 1, how did the table come out? i am looking for a finish for two european cherry table inserts that slide into a small beech lounge table that i have made. I got the idea from a book on weekend routing projects (it took a bit longer than a weekend to finish it though).

In the book i think American cherry was used and it looks a lot more red than my european stuff, i have applied a coat of sanding sealer to the whole thing and was wondering whether to slightly colour the cherry or finish it the same as the beech.

Any ideas would be welcome. thanks Paul
Thread: Christmas list?
03/10/2009 20:25:10
I could do with a new 1/2" router with micro depth adjust, a small circular saw(my Black & Decker has a worn main bearing) to go with the usual Vodka and Stella Artois.
Or maybe some ideas for a new multimedia unit for the sitting room.
Paul
Thread: Bench vices
02/10/2009 19:52:38
Sorry 2"x4"x6'
Paul
02/10/2009 19:51:51
Just an update on my bench situation, i have made a top for my bench out of some 2"x4" x 6" planed redwood but i am yet to fit the end vice. I have 2 vice screws that i will be using for the end but i haven't got a front vice yet, i have seen one on the Rutlands website http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/work-holding/vices---bench/DK2020/9%22-quick-release-vice  It seems to be reasonably priced for a 9"  with bench stop.
Also i will be making some bench dogs for the holes built into the top, i think the bench will be ok until i come across some suitable hardwood to replace the top slab but no hurry now. Would it be advisable to treat or coat the top with poly/varnish or a stain to protect it?

Just a few pics of the bench without vices.

Any comments or advice would be helpful thanks.
Paul.
Thread: Finish for a small beech jewelery box
01/10/2009 21:36:47
Thanks for the comments i managed to get a couple of pics of the finished box.

Looking at it now i think that the dovetails are quite a bit too steep. I'll have to remember that for the next time.
Paul
01/10/2009 20:33:06
Finally finished the small Jewel box that i have making for my wife, she was very surprised at what i had done and her eyes started to well up. I asked if it was really that bad and she said 'no, it's lovely and nobody has ever done anything like that for her before'. I think she was pleased with it.

sorry about the poor image.

I will see if i can pry it off of her and get a picture of it with the wax finish. 
Thread: router lift
26/09/2009 10:27:35
Hi Tommy i saw this some time back when i was looking at ideas for a router table,

Paul.
26/09/2009 10:03:53
Looks sturdy enough Mike, I'm gonna go into my shed today with a pencil and paper and sketch out some ideas of what i want. I have one idea so will work out some measurements and go from there. like i mentioned before, the legs are already made just waiting for some sort of top.

Paul.
24/09/2009 12:18:30
 Thanks OPJ, Ben When given a price per cubic foot would that be for instance 12"x 2"x 6'=1 cubic foot?

hi mike, what do you mean by top cheeks? are there any reasons not to make a bench top from a mixture of layered mdf and skirted by solid timber.
Paul.
22/09/2009 07:26:00
Hi Ben, i don't currently have a bench, i use a makeshift trestle bench made from MDF. I am partway through making a proper workbench but so far have only made the legs and feet. I am still undecided on what to make the top from as the price of hardwood timber is silly now.

Beech would be my first choice as thats what i have made the legs out of but i had said about using oak sleepers in earlier posts but was advised about problems with tannin in the wood and the effects it has on metal fixings and tools.

As for vices i would like to fit both front and end ones so could put them either end, would it be advisable to fit the front one on the right and the end one on the left. Thanks

Paul
21/09/2009 20:20:54
I managed to get some chestnut products shellac sanding sealer today so will be trying it on my jewelery box over next couple of days and will let you know how it goes. Any tips for using it? thanks
Paul.
20/09/2009 13:08:14
I had a thought the other day about the side that vices are normally fitted to benches.
Front vices are usually fitted on the left hand side as you look at it, and being left handed this makes hand sawing easier for me. Does anyone know why they are fitted on this side and what are the advantages and disadvantages are? I am in the middle of building my bench and would like to know what side is best to fit the vises (end vise and front vise) being left handed.
Paul.
15/09/2009 20:38:26
thanks George, must have crossed posts, I am still awaiting contact from Good timber.
Paul.
Thread: Router table
15/09/2009 19:59:27
I received the table today, after assembly i decided to build a simple cabinet out of some white faced chipboard that i have to mount the table top on as the supplied frame doesn't seen very sturdy. It is made out of thin angle steel that i was going to box in to make a cabinet but decided on to start from scratch. everything else supplied seems good but cant try it until i finish the cabinet.

John you mentioned the measure tape, i purchased a couple of 18" steel rule some time back from a pound shop (£1 each) that i was going to set into a router table that i was  going to make do you think it worth while me routing these into the top rather than the supplied tapes?
thanks
Paul
15/09/2009 19:47:15
thanks Ron, there is a timber merchants (Good Timber) just 3 miles up the road from me that i contacted earlier but still waiting on info from them but i will have another look in B&Q and see what they have.
Paul.
14/09/2009 20:41:57
I have ordered the Dakota table, should be here tomorrow, will it be possible to drill the insert plate for two different routers? I have a couple of small B&D 1/4" routers and a large red Power devil 1/2" router and wondered if i fitted one of these will i be able to re-drill the plate when i get a new router. Hope this make sense,
Paul
14/09/2009 20:11:32
Thanks Alan, i have looked in the local Homebase but couldn't see any sanding sealer, what brand would they stocked and is it kept with the varnish and danish oil?

Same again with B&Q Ron, what would i be looking for in store as the assistants walking about in my local didn't seem to know what i was looking for.
Paul.
14/09/2009 12:49:38
thanks for the reply John, i read in one of the reviews about the prob with the measure tape so if thats all is wrong with it them its a must that i order one today. thanks again Paul.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Triton
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact