By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for will spencer

Here is a list of all the postings will spencer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Workshop Heating
27/12/2009 23:42:40
if anybody does suffer from moisture i find that a dishfull of salt should absorb most of the moisture protecting your tools
Thread: Oops!
31/07/2009 14:30:44
nottingham.a film by ridley scott.starring russel crowe and cate blanchett.
Thread: Getting committed
06/03/2009 21:35:30
motor bike and side car?a la wallace and gromit?
Thread: Chisel Blade Guards
05/03/2009 18:07:23
why not cut the finger tips off the ends of a pair of leather gloves?
Thread: In the nude
03/03/2009 18:10:31
absolutely brilliant derek.when it's unveiled surely you'll be playing lynard skynard's freebird?
Thread: Tool Storage
26/02/2009 17:37:00
ben best tool cabinet i have ever come across(for me)was an old double wardrobe that i kitted out accordingly.unfortunately every time i look on ebay i end up with a larger tool collection and the whole thing gets rearranged time and again.
if you canget hold of a copy of new yankee workshop norm makes an hanging tool cabinet for his use(it's not near big enough for your tools)he draws inspiration from the studley tool chest i don't know if the net has any images on this but it is an absolute corker of a tool chest,sliding trays,hinged racks the works.

Thread: Most disliked
26/02/2009 17:28:33
1-mdf
2-any form of chipboard/mfc
3-cheap nasty ply
Thread: Workshop Waste
10/02/2009 14:50:15
i'm sorry to admit that my waste gets put into the skip at work.most of it is sawdust ,the shavings from the planer help the gerbils in my sons room,when i get enough offcuts that can be used feasibly i take them across to the school.
Thread: Good Woodworking Issue 211
05/02/2009 17:38:44
ben,
any chance john brown's anarchist woodworker could be re-printed?
Thread: aeg router of2050
05/02/2009 17:36:25
buy a company for a bad price sell it at a higher price to eliminate your own competition.
bosch are made up of about 280 subsidery companies.
05/02/2009 14:52:22
erik my apologies techtonics of thailand bought aeg and milwaukee off bosch.they also own ryobi
05/02/2009 14:46:53
james no your comments aren't strange,i love to hear peoples opinion on tools,
i use the bosch blue gho4-82 planer and honestly think it's better than anything dewalt or makita have come up with.however,that said i haven't used  a festool per se;but a colleague of mine does swear by them.
i use a bosch gst 2000 jigsaw
two makita sds drills
three makita cordless drills
hilti core drill
two bosch circular saws
bosch chopsaw.i got this brand new gcm12sd off abay for £200 with legstand

erik bosch do own aeg,and skil
and milwaukee

Thread: Sanding sealer
01/02/2009 23:25:53
hey malc,
there are several types of sanding sealer available.
shellac sanding sealer
cellulose sanding sealer
spirit based sanding sealer
acrylic based sanding sealer

this is used as the base for your finish/i.e it seals the pores of your timbers before you apply the finish,after you have stained/dyed or coloured your workpiece.
the shellac based has a slower drying time so you can keep a large wet area longer.
the cellulose based has a very fast drying time,you will need cellulose thinners to cleanyour brushes.
the acrylic has the benefits of being low odour and doesn't carry a fire risk where the others do.
after staining applya coat of sanding sealer,when dry lightly sand/de nib with 240/320 grit paper.remove any dust and apply a second coat.when this is dry you can apply wax or varnish or shellac.

have a go
you never know

01/02/2009 23:15:56
hello james
like your reply.
i'm a kitchen fitter/joiner by trade.
the trend t5 is an industrial rated router where as the t4 is a light trade rated router.
the armature and windings on the t5 are more substantial than the t4.
i'm not being disrespectful to you james saying that bosch are on par with ryobi being a serious diyer.sorry mate you obviously haven't used the bosch blue proffessional range. the boschgreen range is actually better than ryobi.
have you tried the bosch gof 2000?
31/01/2009 20:31:07
russell,you say you're a floor layer?by trade?for a living?you may need a router in 110v for h&s purposes
trend t4 is more of a diy type router you maybe better with the trend t5
the dewalt dw615 and dewalt dw621 are worth a look as is the bosch gof900.

have a squint on ebay you'llfind something like for the right price
Thread: OPJ'S Blanket chest
26/01/2009 20:44:57
olly thats a serious set of slatted shelves lol.
26/01/2009 20:43:09
aeg are owned by bosch,nuff said.
seriously though the aeg is a real workhorse of a router.if its a good price go for it.
depending on the work youdothe bosch GOF series of routers are worth a look.
go for the pro models not the diy stuff.
Thread: Sharpening
26/01/2009 20:39:50
if it's an oilstone you need a carborundum rubbing brick
Thread: Practise versus Theory
25/01/2009 19:08:17
sorry it's from another site but have a look at this.

25/01/2009 18:54:16
bottom line vince get a job.
sorry it's so blunt.you'll learn more quickly if you're on site daily with a day release or evening shift at college.
remember most colleges tell you the perfect scenario-in reality they're few and far between.every door you replace will be different from now until you call it a day.as benand oddjob are saying keep it up and practice and keep asking
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact