By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Joppy

Here is a list of all the postings Joppy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Thin Section Hardwood Sources?
31/12/2019 12:06:24

I checked out the idea in Paul Bodiam's post, and, for a hobby user like myself, it comes too expensive. I'll be butt jointing, as suggested.

04/12/2019 17:21:22

I am currently able to plane/thickness for my own needs, but sometime next year I lose my garage and shed through moving accommodation, so won't be able to do that any more. I am thinking that I might find a local group (Ipswich Makerspace looks useful) that I can latch onto, and go in that direction.

03/12/2019 20:36:52

Having to downsize my workshop I'm thinking of making smaller objects (trinket boxes, picture frames, etc.) which will need thin section woods, 1/8in to 1/4in for example, but I see Hobbies only do these in narrow planks of 3 to 4 inches wide, while I may need wider, up to 8 or 9 inches . Rather than going the butt joint road, is there a supplier who can provide such widths. I don't want to use ply, except where it won't matter.

Thread: Broken Screw in Awkward Place
11/05/2015 16:26:59

I have a I inch brass screw snapped of flush, about 1 1/2 inches into an internal right angle joint, which needs removing as I can't reposition the fitting. I have a screw extractor but can't get at the thing to use it. Any suggestions?

I have thought of using a plug cutter to drill down round the screw and re'plugging the hole afterwards, would that work?

Thread: Rexon Bandsaw Spares Problem
05/04/2015 20:38:05

Well, who would have thought it needed a trip to the cycle shop to sort out a power tool problem. Rexon gave me a call and said that the right bit had been sent, but that I needed a set of bicycle tyre spanners to lever the protector onto the wheel. Ten minutes struggling found it in place. Saw now back up and running.

26/03/2015 08:30:18

Ten years ago I bought a Rexon bandsaw from a certain large DIY centre. No problems until the blade started running eratticaly recently. On opening up, I found the tyre on the upper wheel had been cut in two and come off. Replacement needed.

That's where the trouble starts. The manual only lists a part number for the whole wheel assembly, not the individual pieces. I obtained the recommended wheel protector from Rexon Spares in Rotherham, and can't get it onto the wheel, it's too small!!

Axminster don't supply, nor can Power Tool Spares. Rexon still have to get back to me.

I'm in the middle of a project and need the saw. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any input.

ij

Thread: Dropside Cot Fittings
23/02/2015 12:25:35

I've been asked to make a child's cot for my son. Does anyone know of a supplier of the rods and catches needed for the drop down side? My normal Google searches haven't helped.

Thank you.

Thread: Log Box
18/01/2015 15:40:04

Finally, I'm managing to getting back to some practical work in the garage. Here's a picture of a recently completed log box. Very simple, from cheap ply and pine, but I got to practice tapering, grooving and haunched motices. Next time it will get more complicated.logbox.jpg

Thread: LASER CUT FRETWORK QUERY
24/10/2014 22:25:29

Does that imply that I can't use my planer/thicknesser either?crook

22/10/2014 09:01:27

I have quite a bit of repetitious fretwork to cut in thin(ish) ply, and was thinking of getting it laser cut professionally to save time with my fretsaw. Has anyone had any experience in this, and is it economic for hobby use?

Thread: Oak to dispose of
02/07/2014 16:24:48

I have a small amount of oak in 1inch planks about 6 feet long in various widths, along with a couple of 2 inch ones, to dispose of. It's been sitting in my shed for some 8 years unused, and I need the space.

Probably enough for a medium sized bookcase or similar.

Offers in region of £200, buyer to collect. situated in Suffolk.

Thread: Vintage Practical Woodworking mag.
26/02/2013 19:37:35

I've been trying to complete a set particular issues of the above from the 1980s, carrying two series of articles on old furniture. One called 'Furniture from Stately Homes' and the other 'History in the Making', published between 1981 and 1989.

I just missed a batch on e-bay, as I was working when the final bids were due, so hope someone can give me a source for these old magazines. Any suggestions will be gratefully followed up.

Thread: ETSY selling site
20/07/2012 09:50:15

Has anyone tried selling their items on the ETSY selling site for handmade craft pieces? I've heard a bit about them recently and could be tempted.

Thread: Dovetail Jig Guidance
19/04/2012 18:07:15

Thank you, I'll investigate all the mentioned models.

14/04/2012 18:46:47

I'll shortly be in the market for a dovetail jig. Which can you reccomend (or not)from your experience

Thread: Name the Period
12/05/2011 07:40:30
I agree that 'modern' doesn't seem right. After all, it won't be that in another 100 years, will it? Perhaps it should only be used for the 50 years before a present date.In my mind 'art deco' and 'art nouveau' are styles rather than periods so I was fishing around for a generic name to cover the era as a whole. I know it would take more powerful influences than our little forum to get a recognised title. I just wondered what others thought.
11/05/2011 22:45:18
A little more thought shows that a lot of periods are named after the appropriate monarch(s) so how about 'wINDSOR'; Didn't George V change the family name in WW1? That could bring things right up to date.
11/05/2011 19:15:18
While I was reading a book of designs from the '20s and '30s this morning it ocurred to me that there is no generic name for that period. We have Victorian and Edwardian, but what follows? We can't call it Georgian really can we? That would get too confusing, and using the Art Nouveau title is too narrow in scope. Any ideas?
Thread: New Yankee comes back
13/04/2010 17:47:28
caught a comment on Sky TV, (Discovery Shed) that Norm is back with New Yankee Workshop tonight (tuesday) at 9.00 pm. No other details so it could be an old series of repeats - though I don't suppose that will matter.
Thread: old magazine series
17/02/2010 17:52:21
way back in the early/mid eightes the magazine 'Practical Woodworking' ran two series on antique furniture - 'History in the making' and 'Furniture from Stately Homes'..I've tracked down a few issues but would like to know -
a - when the series' started
b - how many parts in each
this will let me narrow down my searches
thanks in anticipation
ian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact