By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dominic Gibbens 1

Here is a list of all the postings Dominic Gibbens 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wipe On Finishing
04/11/2020 21:39:09

The only finish I now use is varnish applied as you would an oil. Although this is mentioned in american magazines it does not seem common here. The varnish (I like to use satin or matt) is diluted and poured on like an oil,then wiped off with a piece of old cotton. Once dry it is rubbed down with wire wool and tack clothed before applying another coat in the same way. About three coats should be enough.

The result is a beautiful finish without any runs or dust marks. I have not had any trouble with yellowing. Try it on a test piece.

Thread: Brown Wardrobe Paint
03/06/2020 21:40:26

With the house came some large brown wardrobes,too big for the room and too brown. I am on the point of reducing the height and intend to paint them white. I bought some Rust Oleun white satin paint which has mixed reviews instead of Ronsel Cupboard paint which did not seem to have much coverage although better thought of.

Before I open the tin and make a start has anyone got any better ideas. I am happy with a number of coats but only want to do it once.

Thread: Which doweling jig do you prefer?
18/05/2020 21:39:52

I have had a Record doweling rig since the 70's ,it was quiet expensive at the time about £4. At the time a Stanley Bridges drill cost £10.00. In the last ten years I have used it in all my woodworking . I love it so much I even got a better one with a nice wooden box off ebay. They are very easy to use if you take care,joints always line up.

I have seen modern jigs which seem complicated (and expensive) by comparison. The dowel guides are imperial so metric dowels have to be knocked through a jig to reduce the size.

Record do not of course make them any more, but if if you can get one you will never need to make any other sort of joint.

After buying the original rig I also bought the large extension rods but in 40 years ,they have only been used twice. At the time I bought more expensive tools from Gattos in Wandsworth ,a trip there was very exciting,sadly in the last year or so it closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact