By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robert Dalgleish

Here is a list of all the postings Robert Dalgleish has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Drilling through hard wood
19/03/2020 11:21:14

Fair point Mike. Rule of thumb the drilled hole should not be more than 50% is that correct?

14/02/2020 12:29:51

I am building a framework made of 350mm wooden dowels and the design includes drilling several holes right through the 25mm diam corner posts (straight on and sideways). The holes will be spaced evenly the length of each post for the 14mm width dowels to go through. The two issues are (1) tear out at the back and you have kindly suggested how to resolve this and (2) the holes in the corner posts need to be exactly in a two straight lines (straight on and sideways) and the lines exactly 90 degrees apart. I have failed to do the latter with my power drill and the wood in a vice, so thinking a drill press is the only way unless there is a handy jig for this purpose

13/02/2020 15:33:17

Thanks very much for comments. After starting with a small bit for the pilot hole, to prevent tear out could a hole saw be better than a forstner bit, because I am still getting a lot of splintering on the exit side of the hole - have tried working up from a small bit to 14mm, taping the back, clamping wood behind etc. Also I need to drill the 14mm holes at a perfect 90 degrees as the 25mm dowel is a corner post - difficult to do accurately by hand or is a drill press the only way to do this (and drilling lots of 25mm posts)

Edited By Robert Dalgleish on 13/02/2020 15:34:27

Edited By Robert Dalgleish on 13/02/2020 15:41:00

17/01/2020 12:21:48

Trying without success to drill 14mm holes through (sideways) 25mm ash and beech dowling. Using a Dewalt DT4765QZ 14 x 152 mm Extreme Flat Wood Drill Bit and my old Black & Decker 18v power drill. Any advice appreciated on the correct drill bit, power drill for this type of wood

Thanks,

Robert

Thread: wood vice recommendations
10/01/2020 14:58:01

Any recommendations for a good woodworking vice, or a metal vice that can easily be converted for wood work via wood jaws and magnets. Available in the UK.

Many thanks,

Robert

Thread: Wood vice and portable work bench
08/01/2020 16:08:18

Any recommendations please for a good quality wood vice available in the UK, suitable for small projects with dowel rods, so no large pieces of wood. Ideally a vice that sits on top of a table without needing to fix it, otherwise a vice that bolts onto a workbench.

Any advice on a good portable, foldable workbench would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

, also a portable workbench.

Thread: Imperial wood dowels vs metric drill bits
06/01/2020 04:59:19

Is there a UK supplier who sells a good range of dowel rods in metric?

05/01/2020 23:28:10

Thanks for replies. The supplier is **LINK**

04/01/2020 12:47:45

Hi,

Wooden dowel rods from a UK supplier are made in inches and my drill bits are metric; e.g.

7.93mm (5/16 inches) dowel, 8mm drill bit.

Anyone know a UK supplier who sells dowels in mm, or how to solve where dowel and drilled hole are different sizes.

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards,

Robert

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact