By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Wills 1

Here is a list of all the postings John Wills 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The English Woodworker
08/12/2019 16:26:55

In my search for info on workbenches I've come across The English Woodworker website. Are the services offered by this site of any value?

Thread: Power and heating
09/08/2019 12:22:58

Baseboard heater?

Not familiar with these.

Thread: Workshop heating and humidity
06/08/2019 15:02:38

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I didn't foresee the need for insulation and the workshop currently is not insulated.
To avoid reducing the interior space I'm looking at adding external insulation boards. They are available. The roof I can insulate on the inside. I'll look out for an Ebac dehumidifier.

Once again, thanks for the info.

John

Thread: Workbench
03/06/2019 23:38:32

Hi Julian, thanks for information.

I’ll take a look

Regards

John

22/05/2019 14:26:41

Hi Brian,

Thank you so much.

Interesting work!

John

18/05/2019 12:58:45

I'm thinking my first project should be a workbench and browsing around an Axminster store a couple of days ago I came across Veritas plans for one. Are these any good? What are the alternatives?

Thread: Workshop heating and humidity
12/05/2019 16:28:09

I’ve had a small workshop built for me to take up woodworking in my retirement.

being ignorant in these matters I’ve not considered heating it or controlling the humidity.

Now I find for one of the projects I want to do, a guitar, the tonewood supplier talks about a working environment of 20 degrees and a set humidity. What are my options? Building is thermal blocks with concrete floor and no insulation in roof or anywhere for that matter.

Thread: Wheelbarrow
13/04/2019 10:10:49

Hi Cedric,

There's been some Chinese Whispers going on!

I was told wheelbarrow but apparently what my son wants is a sweet cart.
The sort with an apex roof; a pair of wheels on the front and handles the length of the cart.

Sorry for confusion.
Typical communication skills in my family.

John

13/04/2019 08:23:40

Hi. Cedric,

Thanks.

I’ll call you.

John

12/04/2019 18:08:27

My son has asked me to make a scaled down wheelbarrow to put sweets into for his wedding reception. I know the sort of thing he means but any idea where I might get a suitable plan from?

Thread: Power and heating
21/02/2019 12:48:14

Hi Paul,

Thanks for very interesting reply.

There’s a load factor that electrical designers employ and I’ll talk to my electrician about that as I won’t ever run everything together.

Regards,

John

20/02/2019 11:17:16

Hi, while having an extension built I'm getting the builder to put up a 3.4m x 2.85m internal dimensions, thermalite, block wall workshop. The biggest I can fit in the garden. I want to take my low skill DIY woodworking to a higher level (to make guitars initially) and the workshop is the start. I'll probably want to take on other interesting projects for the house. One I've already thought of is a bespoke double door frame so will need to consider other power tools.

I've got guitar making books which cover the tools required but can someone give me an idea of a "sensible" figure for power requirement so that I can tell the builder what I need so he'll instruct his electrician. A bit of spare capacity would seem sensible.

Am I looking at a sub CB board?

Also suggestions for heating?

I hate the idea of electric heating because of the expense, but to get gas to the building 30m away from the house? Gas bottles an option? Solar panels?

Any advice for this novice.

I've also messaged regarding this subject to a couple of private messages in my inbox so thanks to Colin & Paul.

Regards,

John

Thread: Beginner
13/06/2018 13:43:45

Hi Julian, Thanks for the link. Crimson do have an interesting portfolio of work. It does all seem to be electric guitar biased and as I'm almost 100% focused on acoustic guitars are not sure if they would be for me. I'll ask them. I'm actually keen on attending an acoustic guitar making course in Queensland, Australia next year. As I love the guitars the luthier makes. KR John

09/06/2018 18:27:25

BTW, Im currently reading Build Your Own Acoustic Guitar, Jonathan Kinkead and Making an Archtop Guitar, Robert Benedetto.

I have an interest in a Dreadnought Guitar and an f hole Archtop. The Dreadnought because the Martin is a classic design and they sound great. The Archtop because they are just so beautiful as well as sounding great.
I'm due some surgery which just delayed me enrolling on an Adult Evening Class at a local school where the instructor has actually made guitars, so that will be cool when I recover enough to attend.

KR

John

09/06/2018 18:08:49

Hello Paul,

Very interesting stuff.

I'm going to send you a pm.

KR

John

12/05/2018 16:28:39

Thanks chaps,

I'm going to local adult classes ASAP

09/05/2018 13:29:41

Apologies if this is not an appropriate place to post my question.

Coming up to retirement I would like to develop working with wood as a hobby.

Where can I get advice for setting up and learning the techniques, skills, tools, suppliers that I should consider. Doe The Woodworker have articles for novice woodworkers?

I do have an eye on making an acoustic guitar in the future.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Chippendale
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact