By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sue Ross 1

Here is a list of all the postings Sue Ross 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How to identify the quality of pine flooring
16/03/2018 22:21:36

Thanks again for the sound advice.

14/03/2018 21:57:34

By the way, the existing subfloor is chipboard on joists. It's all quite solid and I was advised to either glue or nail the new boards down. My preference would be to screw them, that way if you ever need to raise them to get to pipes or electrics etc, there's less chance of damage. Do opinions vary widely?

14/03/2018 21:39:46

Thanks. I took it to a wood reclamation place, apparently it's Oregon pine, no more than 15 years old. They said the danger was that its age means it could still split whereas they have a fully mature one at £45 sq m. I'm concerned it will darken over time so they also showed me spruce at £45 too - softer but a whiter wood. At similar prices I'm wondering if I should just go for engineered hardwood. I'm going round in circles at the moment!

Thanks for the advice, had not thought about clamps so that's very helpful.

12/03/2018 14:05:33

Thanks for the reply. Compared to the poor quality you see in DIY stores which comes in at the same price the wood is quite hard. I took a sharp knife to it and it's made what I'd call an 'acceptable scratch'. But you're right, I'll visit some timber merchants and see what they say and how it compares. Thanks

08/03/2018 17:26:49

Hello. I'm hoping to get some advice on timber flooring, apologies if it's not appropriate. My Victorian terraced house currently has chipboard flooring and I'm looking into the possibility of reclaimed boards. It's two rooms knocked into one so is quite big but unfortunately it's quite dark. I'd like to have a floor with light wide-ish boards that don't go orange/yellow.

I'm on a limited budget and I've received a sample from a timber yard which they say is about 40 years old and have been reclaimed from a hospital. It's 22mm thick and 220mm wide and £25 sq.m. There are no nail holes as they say it was fixed with metal straps and under a vinyl covering. It's being sold unsanded and sanded twice. My sample has been sanded twice and I've sanded half of it myself to see how much lighter it will go (see first two photos). It seems to come up with a pinkish hue.

I spoke to a fitter who hasn't seen the sample but said I should be very wary as at that price it might be scaffolding boards that have been split and then dirtied up to make them look older. I found the wood on ebay but the firm is trading, albeit mainly in fencing and garden sheds. They're a couple of hundred miles away so I haven't visited them to look at the wood yet.

I've read that better quality pine has rings that are denser but how else can I be sure that I'm buying the right quality. Can you tell from the photos what kind of wood it is and whether it's suitable for flooring? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

sample 1.jpg

sample 2.jpg

sample 3.jpg

sanded twice 1.jpg

unsanded.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact