By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jason Denby

Here is a list of all the postings Jason Denby has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bowl turning gouges/scrapers
16/02/2018 17:30:04

i am new to woodturning and bought a set of nice gouges from ebay, but just feel I have something missing to assist me in my bowl making quest? Or would I be better investing in a better chuck and faceplate maybe! All advice welcome

Thread: Rippled pot
16/02/2018 17:25:51
Posted by Derek Lane on 13/02/2018 15:49:34:

This piece with the ripples was from a tutorial of ripple surface effect by Dennis Gooding on another site his was a random ripple and he got a 50% success rate so I was pretty pleased to have managed to complete this on my first but then I did cheat to get mine to ripple and in a more uniform way

Edited By Derek Lane on 13/02/2018 15:50:21

Lovely piece of work again Derek, I’m intrigued as to how you have achieved this though!!

Thread: Oak vase
16/02/2018 17:23:56

Lovely vase Derek hoping I may be able to get to this standard with a bit more practice.

Thread: Power chuck
08/02/2018 15:42:48
Posted by Jason Denby on 08/02/2018 15:37:46:
Posted by Derek Lane on 04/02/2018 10:34:09:

If it is one of their scroll chucks there are many out there that have them. I use a Robert Sorby Patriot chuck which is also a scroll chuck they are great for turning. Which model is it or could you post a picture.

It is always awkward to go by one persons point of view you really need a few to get a better idea what a product is like.

HI Derek,

I will attach a picture of my chuck as now received it.,

40529e1c-e114-4091-b72d-ee513c0dc569.jpeg

08/02/2018 15:37:46
Posted by Derek Lane on 04/02/2018 10:34:09:

If it is one of their scroll chucks there are many out there that have them. I use a Robert Sorby Patriot chuck which is also a scroll chuck they are great for turning. Which model is it or could you post a picture.

It is always awkward to go by one persons point of view you really need a few to get a better idea what a product is like.

HI Derek,

I will attach a picture of my chuck as now received it.,

Thread: Planer thicknesser
08/02/2018 11:20:02

hi again,

Just looking for some advice on the purchase of a planer thicknesser, not sure if it will be an instant purchase due to the costs. Would definitely consider decent secondhand.

Thanks

Thread: Forstner bits
08/02/2018 11:16:27

Thank you for all the advice I think I will just buy a cheap ish set to get me going and see how I fair with them, but as you have all said if sharpened or should I say kept sharp I may well get just as good a life out of them as you have all had.

Thanks again

Jason

Thread: Best way to transfer plans onto wood
05/02/2018 16:03:01
Posted by sad sam on 05/02/2018 09:01:43:

Hi jason l mean B and Q of course

I did think that was what you meant!

Thread: Forstner bits
04/02/2018 18:45:38

Good evening,

Currently looking for some Forstner bits but it seems a bit of a minefield, they seem to be either cheap as chips or you need a bank loan to buy a set and not 100% certain what is good.

I am looking for something mid range as don’t have tip end money at the minute, all advice welcome.

Regards

Jason

Thread: Power chuck
04/02/2018 09:22:27

good morning,

I have just bought a record power chuck off ebay and not sure I have done the right thing as since buying I have read that these can be a little awkward to use for the novice Turner.

Does this sound correct or have I just read an article where someone has had a particularly bad experience?

I also read somewhere that for the novice Turner I would be better with a scroll chuck as these are more secure and safer to use.

Bearing in mind also that I am not a daft lad! My experiences in life have paid dividends especially from the education my father has given me in all manner of trades from engineering to building and making things work.

Regards

Jason

Thread: Best way to transfer plans onto wood
04/02/2018 09:12:12

Posted by sad sam on 30/01/2018 18:45:40:

Hi Jason

If you look into my albums you will see the plywood horses I've made I believe I am into double figures

Do not be tempted to buy cheap ply go for 18mm thick birch ply you will need one full sheet 8ft by 4ft

And set it out as it is shown on the drawing if it is the rocking horse shop one

Enjoy yourself and good luck any problems get in touch

Sadsam

Hi sadsam,

I have had a look through your albums and you have turned out some nice horses, I am just in the process of finding the best price for the 8 x 4 x 18mm birch ply.

I have all the plans and layout and intend on making a start on making my templates today then if I decide to do another it should be far easier.

I’m sure I will enjoy, have just started turning as well so exciting times ahead and plenty to do.

Will definitely pick your brains if I get stuck though.

Many thanks

Jason

28/01/2018 18:36:54
Posted by Derek Lane on 28/01/2018 15:41:18:

Thank you this is the first one of these that I made. Just take your time and you will be rewarded with a nice horse. Look forward to seeing the end result once complete.

I would not cut up the original just get copies. The other way would be tape carbon paper together and transfer the pattern that way making sure the carbon paper is all facing the right way. Buy some wallpaper lining paper and cut from that

Hi, I have also bought some carbon paper as this was my other option. I know once I get the templates cut I would like to think it will become easier but I suppose it’s like everything, it is just about finding the easiest way to work things out. Thank you for the assistance though I am appreciative of any knowledge I can gain.

28/01/2018 12:09:50
thPosted by Derek Lane on 28/01/2018 10:55:53:

having built a rocking horse myself i know the size you are dealing with luckily I did not have to copy mine as I was given paper templates already made out. One thing you can do is see if there any copy facilities near you that would make copies of the parts needed then cut these out and then transfer them to the wood it also will allow you to lay out the board to be able to get the most out of it.

You may need several copies if the plane is the same as the one I have.

This is the one I made and had great fun in doing it.

Completed at last

Hi Derek,

Thanks for reply you’ve done a cracking job of yours I will be more than happy if I can produce one to this standard. I have had a couple of copies of the plan done and was thinking the same as your suggestion and cutting out the parts and glueing onto the plywood. The only thing is I would need about six copies as the main body consists of several parts. I just wasn’t sure if anyone had any different ways of doing this task.

Many thanks for the reply

27/01/2018 19:33:09

I am fairly new to woodworking and I have bought some plans to build a rocking horse out of plywood for our granddaughter. I am just trying to find out which is the best way to transfer the plans onto the plywood?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact