By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Rowe

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Rowe has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ledge and braced door
08/06/2019 18:22:20

David

My first post too.

Let me see if I can help using my boatbuilding experience and quite a lot of DIY over the years.

I would only glue the tongue to one joint thereby replicating the tongue and groove system. If there is any movement it would be more likely to break the paint seal rather than split the tongue (hopefully!)

The ledge and brace structure should be fairly stable provided the wood is properly seasoned and then fully protected against absorption by painting. I like glued joints and I don't know how thick your planks are to consider using screws but I would most likely use oval nails with the heads punched in so they can be filled and painted over to stop rusting. On a boat (and tongue and groove is used for deck and internal bulkheads) I would use silicon bronze Gripfast nails but I think that would be a bit of an overkill for a door unless you are living right on the beach.

Tim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact