By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ryan Davenport AWGB Membership Secretary

Here is a list of all the postings Ryan Davenport AWGB Membership Secretary has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Just got back from setting up
17/03/2016 17:48:58

I'm back home from setting up our stand (Stand 11) at the Midlands Woodworking & Power tool Show located in Newark Show Ground. I have seen some familiar faces there while setting up too, it looks set to be a good show especially as it's indoors teeth 2 Feel free to come and say hello if you are coming, I've attached the information below just in case any of you are interested in the details, I hope this is OK.

The Midlands Woodworking and Power Tool Show 2016

Thread: cordless drill
15/03/2016 13:37:38

A lot of it is down to the amp hours of the batteries,

I use a DeWalt bushless drill and impact driver, I find them wonderful, they have amazing power and have a very long run time, I use them with either a 4 or 5 a/h battery, they will literally go all day.

A lot depends on what you would like to use them for and also the amount of use. Feel free to ask more questions.

Thread: Charnwood W583 Planer Thicknesser Problem
09/03/2016 16:13:51

Glad to hear your up and running.

Kindest Regards

Ryan

Thread: Hybrid Blanks
08/03/2016 20:20:47

What problems are you having? I have a friend that made one out of an old pressure cooker

08/03/2016 16:47:29

Here are a few hybrid pen blanks that I purchased from George Watkins they are amazing quality and are all hand made by him in his workshop, it is a fairly long process too. I purchased them as I have a couple of nice pen kits but wanted them to be something different form the norm.

I just thought I would share them with you as I have been asked about hybrid blanks on many occasions and where to purchase them.

img_1263.jpg

img_1262.jpg

img_1261.jpg

img_1260.jpg

img_1259.jpg

img_1258.jpg

img_1257.jpg

Thread: Centre Finder
08/03/2016 16:32:50

img_1266.jpgimg_1265.jpgHi I made a couple of these a while ago, just thought I would share the idea, I use them to find the centres on my turning blanks and I have to say they are always very precise, I made them out of some leftover oak face ply I had lying around but any type will do.img_1264.jpg

Thread: Play things
08/03/2016 16:10:15

Isn't it great to see, I found that a good saw to start them with was one of the Japanese pull saws as they are fairly easy to use resistance wise (supervised of course).

08/03/2016 15:55:10

Brilliant it's really nice to see this, My four children ( 2 girl's and 2 boy's) often come into my workshop and get involved, it's the younger generation that we need to inspire to the craft which is quite a difficult challenge these days.

My eldest daughter has severe learning difficulties but she does love her time in the workshop as much as my other children, she is currently making 50 bookmarks to sell for her local school fund (Ashmount appeal).

One thing that my children really like is to make pens, it is also a pleasure for me to watch them doing it now with little assistance.

I have had many ideas from absolutelyfreeplans.com for them to do. One thing the my daughters enjoy is making bangles for their friends, good to keep them out of trouble during holidays too wink 2

Thread: Charnwood W583 Planer Thicknesser Problem
08/03/2016 12:25:47

Hi Andrew

The person you want to speak to is Darren at Charnwood, telephone 01530 516926.

I agree it's normally the capacitors that blow, replacements are reasonable cheap too and simple to change.

Feel free to contact me for further information.

Thread: Managed to do some more
22/07/2015 17:02:37

Ok thanks let me know if and when you could as I'd love to try one.

22/07/2015 16:49:39

Nice casting, do you sell some of your castings as blanks? I would be interested! Thanks again

Thread: Pizza Board
22/07/2015 16:47:52

I've been convincing the wife I need to get into Iles turning range instead of rob sorb and I'm glad to hear a review about them. Different when they want another handbag or shoes though secret

Thanks again.

22/07/2015 16:41:58

Ahh so they are polyester ones, I've used a few of the chestnut acrylics but not the polys, are they similar to turn?(hardness etc)

Thread: bodgers treadle woodworking lathe
22/07/2015 16:23:32

P.s sorry in advance for no link I'm posting on my phone and it won't let me link the address

Thread: Buying a new lathe
22/07/2015 14:57:23

I would go for the Killinger they are a far superior machine, they're highly recommended around the world.

Good luck and happy turnings.

KR

Thread: bodgers treadle woodworking lathe
22/07/2015 14:47:18

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/TreadleLathe.pdf

Hope this helps wink 2 let me know if you need any further information or different designs, I built one for a client once.

Keep us posted 

All the best & good luck

KR

Edited By Ryan Davenport AWGB Trustee on 22/07/2015 14:50:04

Thread: Hot Shed
22/07/2015 14:40:14

I know the feeling, especially when all the dust sticks to our sweat angry 2

I got fed up with it when we had the hot spell about 6-8weeks ago now so I went searching on gumtree and found a 12K BTU Air Conditioning unit for £40, it was the best thing I've ever brought in regards to the working climate, I do use a Trend Airshield Pro when turning though and I find that the cool air blowing down over the face helps too, I had a semi-enclosed mask before and it drove me mad getting sweaty and misting up, If you don't have one I would highly recommend getting one, they are well worth their money and the health benefits are a must in my eyes, especially when turning exotic woods that are really toxic (inc Yew and other none exotics).

KR

Thread: Pizza Board
22/07/2015 14:25:15

I can't recommend Ashley Iles products enough they are amazing, what species of wood have you used? This is a quite affective, simplistic form that's pleasant to look at and is shaped really well, fantastic

KR

Thread: my latest fun
22/07/2015 14:20:24

Some really stunning pieces, I like the segments on the last form they really "flow"

KR

22/07/2015 14:18:30

Love the spalting on the Walnut it really stands out, and the pens are great, I'm starting to like the acrylics more and more.

KR

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact