By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Shiralee Taylor

Here is a list of all the postings Shiralee Taylor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lamp
12/01/2015 09:20:29

image.jpgWell, that's my lamp finally finished. I'm not sure about the bulb but I love how the stump has turned out. Thanks for your help. Now I just need another project!image.jpg

04/08/2014 19:38:45

Thanks for the information, Ron. I think I'm going to go with oil as the stump is quite lumpy so wax might prove problematic, even with the cut down brush? I will definitely post a picture when I'm done

Shiralee

Thread: My Pallet wood project
28/07/2014 14:52:35

That is lovely. And the wood was just from a pallet?

Thread: Lamp
28/07/2014 14:50:43

The carrier bag method worked! I now have a dried and drilled piece of wood for my lamp. Next question is the finish. Would oil or wax be okay to use on a lamp? I've taken the bark off.

07/05/2014 13:01:00

Thanks, Ron. I will give that a go and let you know how I get on. I am in Tayside, Scotland so I will try to check out the local wood turning clubs near me.

Shiralee

10/03/2014 00:43:21

Thanks, to you both for your advice. I'm not sure if my skills are up to wood turning, Sam, I've only been restoring old wooden furniture. But if I ignore the turning bit, and follow the water idea I may not have to wait so long for my lamp? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by turning (sorry, I'm very green).

07/03/2014 14:38:32

I'm new to working with fresh wood so could do with some advice. I have acquired a stump, it was cut about October time and is roughly 4.5 inches diameter by 10 inches in length. I would like to make it into a bedside lamp. I've been told that I would have to wait roughly a year per inch for the wood to dry out before I could use it. Is this correct? It is pine and still has a layer of bark on it.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact