By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Leslie 1

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Leslie 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Axminster Bandsaw Motor Problem
22/01/2014 18:40:25

Thank you so much Derek, you have achieved what axminster couldn't in 3 days of waiting! (Although they are always very polite and usually very helpful). Thank you also Dave and Paul for the info and offer, greatly appreciated.

I had it wired up completely wrong it turns out, ill give the wires a twiddle tomorrow and see how i get on, will keep you posted!

Ive got a few of tons of 10" scots pine logs to board so will post some pics when that's underway.

Thanks again, Pete

Thread: Cut MDF
20/01/2014 22:34:45

I know this is an old thread but ill chip in my 2p.

I have a CNC router and produce a lot of mdf parts. I deal mainly with 6mm and 18mm mdf

The thickness is important because 6,9,12 mm mdf are consistent in their fiber structure, 18mm + generally has a soft core (there are products like 'deep rout' for cnc'ing which are pretty solid but you'll not find them easily).

I dont worry about sealing 6mm, i just paint, sand, paint, sand, done.

The centre of 18mm is like a sponge and soaks in tons of sealer. I've tried everything for 18mm from celulose spray, to shellac, pva, mdf primer ..etc etc etc. I have been using decorators caulking for years. Its cheap, very very easy to apply, available in different colours, dries in around an hour and is sandable when dry. Gives you a perfect finish to paint over. Did i mention its cheap! I use Soudal caulking, at a quid a tube you can't grumble.

Hope it helps someone.

Thread: Sourcing Oak
20/01/2014 21:53:33

Your best bet is Scawton Sawmill in Thirsk just down the road from you. They import kd and ad euro oak from 20mm-100mm plus some other timbers, poplar, cherry, chestnut, syc

They do 1" QB3 oak for about 22quid a cube. I've had some great timber off them in the past, if needed they will pallatise for 70quid. I've no affiliation with them beyond being a satisfied customer.

Thread: Axminster Bandsaw Motor Problem
20/01/2014 21:42:14

Hi Guys, im hoping one of you can help me out with a problem i have with an Axminster bandsaw. It is an older version of the model below:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-awhbs350n-bandsaw

After sending the motor off for a tinker and rewiring it, guess what, it doesn't start! I drew a wiring diagram and think i have it right. What i'm really after is a photo from someone with the same (or similar) model of the capacitor housing so i can see the wiring. It's the black placky box mounted on the motor.

I've been on the phone to Axminster a couple of times and while they couldn't be more polite they could be more helpful. I am promised a diagram or photo of sorts but it's taking its time, and costing me money.

I'm a furniture maker based in Lincolnshire, this saw although small does my resawing and boarding of small logs and cants. It's been doing this for 5 years now on a regular basis and copes fine. I got a good deal on it (it was second hand 5 years ago!) and a new motor costs more than i paid. I have another bigger Axminster saw but it's wired up differently as it was made in the age of coal power and cholera.

Thanks if anyone can be of help!!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact