By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steven

Here is a list of all the postings Steven has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Relay Parquet Flooring tiles
18/10/2015 18:07:38

Hi David, Sorry to say I really can't be sure about that but think I used roofing bitumen as I was doing a temporary fix on my roof at the time and had some left over.

Thread: Help! Can't find matching beading
15/10/2015 19:39:27

Hi Garry,

Here's another, a little wider than you are looking for but might work, better be quick though, it's end of line.

Steve

Thread: Oak Dinning Room Table top how to join together
15/10/2015 19:03:54

Hi David,

To add to Julian’s advice I usually try to alternate the direction of the growth rings of each board if I can (matching the colour and the figure might be more important) this allows for any cupping to be balanced out, take a look at the end grain to do this.

Thread: Relay Parquet Flooring tiles
03/10/2015 17:19:22

Glad to help David, I should point out that this was a personal and not a professional opinion.

02/10/2015 20:13:56

What!! bitumen is 'not allowed in houses any more', is this for health and safety reasons or just that alternative (much more expensive) products are now available I wonder.

If it's not allowed, what a shame as it worked a treat as a moisture barrier and adhesive all in one, it's also reasonably cheap to buy.

I did exactly the same thing for myself about five yours ago and used the old fashioned method, it was easy to do and the floor still looks great, I would do the same again but I did make sure that the concrete was sealed as I think this might be why some blocks had lifted.

Steve

Thread: Goblet Competition Piece
02/10/2015 20:00:35

Hi Derek,

A very nice piece, the stem looks great, the mix of woods, techniques and colouring works a treat. The goblet bowl and I hope you don't mind a bit of constructive criticism looks a bit heavy for stem.

Steve

Thread: First Christmas present
24/09/2015 20:54:35

What planning for Christmas already!! I'm pretty sure it's still September, I take my hat off to you Derek.

Great to see some of your toy making again and as always you've done a fine job, those tyres in particular struck me as being impressive.

Thread: Fit for a Princess
19/09/2015 19:24:35

Definitely 'Fit for a Princess'

Thread: Coloured Sycamore Bowl
18/09/2015 21:41:36

You’ve done yourself proud Mark, that’s a fine looking bowl and thanks for the tip on the aqua inks.

Steve

Thread: A message from Get Woodworking
14/09/2015 19:35:05

Calling all professional, amateur & student woodworkers: fancy writing for your favourite woodworking magazine? We’d love to showcase your work & help you reach the masses! So why not email us now and show us what you’ve got? Who knows where it may lead! Email Group Editor Tegan Foley at tegan.foley@mytimemedia.com to find out more’

Thread: Fit for a Princess
12/09/2015 19:38:24

Enjoying your work in progress as always Mailee, This looks like a fun to make commission, will you be painting this one?

Thread: Two of a Kind
11/09/2015 21:31:00

I’ve a feeling you might be making more of these Derek, the kids will love them I'm sure, are they for the family? What a great way of using up the off-cuts.

Thread: club compitition
11/09/2015 21:11:35

Well done Robbie, you deserve to be happy, a nice vase and well made with an elegant shape. How deep did you manage to hollow the inside?

Keep going with the hard work I say, I can't imagine a day of doing nothing!!

Thread: Play Time
11/09/2015 20:31:35

Your colouring is coming on nicely Derek. You’ve done a great job with the guilding cream and the texturing brings out the colours well. How was the cheap Arbortech tool to work with?

Thread: Picasso in wood
04/09/2015 22:14:39

That’s impressive Brian. I like your style, simple but beautifully effective.

Thread: Apprentices can't always be fooled
28/08/2015 21:28:44

We’ve all heard of young trainee’s being sent out for sky hooks or a long wait, that sort of thing.

I recently heard a story of young man being asked to find a see through hammer, as the chippy kept on missing the nails, after some time he come back, and proudly presented a clear Perspex panel beaters hammer at great expense to the company, now that’s lateral thinking.

This might be an old one, I don’t know, but have you heard of any other similar stories?

Thread: Rescued Hollow Form
28/08/2015 20:33:47

That’s a fine rescue Derek and a nice hollow form, how did you cut the dimples?

As the saying goes, “when things go wrong the sign of a good craftsman is being able to recover from the work that didn’t go quite to plan”, or something like that !!!

I think you have done a great job.

Thread: A wedding gift
28/08/2015 19:40:20

My French isn’t all that so I had to ask google to help translate, that’s a nice gift Mailee.

Your freehand routing is great, do you keep the speed fairly low on the router?

Thread: Expanding Circular Dining Table
21/08/2015 20:09:12

Hi George

I have seen a few examples of expanding tables but this one is particularly elegant, I like the pedestal legs and the walnut curl is particularly striking, what a great commission, you must have had a fun time making this.

Steve

Thread: Computer desk
19/08/2015 22:28:49
Very nice desk Mailee, an impressive three days work. Hope the customer does a decent job with the finish.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact