By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steven

Here is a list of all the postings Steven has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Two up two down
12/02/2016 17:53:45

A very nice form Derek, I like the wings they work a treat.

Steve

Thread: Mahogany Identification
03/02/2016 18:26:31

Hi Michael,

Thanks for letting us know the outcome, I was convinced the wood was Cherry!

Do you have any thoughts on how you might make use of the Spanish Cedar?

Steve

Thread: The Experiment
23/01/2016 19:19:07

That's a perfectly clear explanation Derek, and an interesting experiment, I wouldn't have thought of trying water, well worth the effort.

Thanks,

Steve

22/01/2016 21:18:57

Hi Derek, your experimental bubble look, wow it works a treat, please tell us how did you get the 3D effect.

Steve

Thread: Christmas greetings
19/12/2015 18:06:49

We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

From us all at Good Woodworking,The Woodworker and Get Woodworking

Thread: Play things
16/12/2015 18:49:10

Derek, what a lovely video, two generations in the workshop together, I hope your Grandson keeps his enthusiasm, you have the patience to make a great teacher.

Steve

Thread: Decorations
16/12/2015 18:42:21

Hi Derek,

Good to know you have been keeping busy, nice decorations and built to last many years unlike the shop bought ones.

Steve

Thread: Dremel competition now closed.
15/12/2015 17:38:15

Hi Malcolm

The competition was for a Moto-Saw supplied by Dremel, the winner was selected from the entries using a random number generator, the prize was then sent directly from Dremel to a winner in Lincolnshire.

Hope this answers your question, unfortunately it won’t help with your choice of tool though.

Steve

12/12/2015 20:15:43

Hi Michael,

And a good day to you, I hope I can help a little further with this. If you take a look at my photos there is a box I made from Cherry, it’s easy to find as I don’t have many photos, I never have been good at documenting my work. This should give a good idea of the colour to expect, it was finished with Danish oil which will have darkened the wood a shade or two.

Cheers, steve

Edited By Steven on 12/12/2015 20:27:26

Thread: 6th generation woodturner
11/12/2015 20:48:43

I thought this would be a nice story to share. I recently looked for someone to turn newel posts and spindles for me to extend my 1880’s staircase. In the past Alan Beecham has done some turning for me, some of you might know or have heard of Alan from published articles, talks and demonstrations, he has now retired but his brother Ray beecham is still turning, a busy and lovely chap with impressive skills handed down through five generations of family knowledge.

He is training his son to carry on with the woodturning family tradition and to quote Ray ‘I still have a few techniques to teach before I can take a back seat, popping in on occasions to help out of course’. I asked Ray how old his son was, he is 42 years old, now that’s an apprenticeship and it’s great to know that these skills are still sought after.

11/12/2015 19:39:05

Hi Michael,

It’s probably best not to be disappointed if the wood turns out to be Cherry in my opinion, I’ve worked with this wood quite a lot, it’s relatively soft as hardwoods go but with sharp tools it’s very nice to work with. When freshly machined the pale pinkish colour can be a little disappointing I find but the wood soon mellows to a very nice rich slightly reddish brown.

I can’t help this type of timber identification, nice photos though, but recognized the wood by it’s colour, figure and in your last picture the distinctive dark cherry red sap pockets.

Steve

Thread: Black Staining on Vanished Boards
11/12/2015 19:27:52

Hello again Stef,

Did you manage to create an album and upload your pictures? If so it sounds as though you are trying to add pictures to your original post, it will work if you add them to a new posting.

Are you looking at Osmo UV protection oil by any chance? I’ve not used it but the reviews seem good, it claims to have a UV factor 12, I guess we will have to wait for some time to find out. I’m a little concerned about using shellac based pale polish outdoors, it may be that as a sealer its fine but check that it works with the oil first.

Steve

Thread: poolewood lathe house colour
11/12/2015 19:04:11

Hi Andrew,

Sorry if this is a bit late but I’m interested to know if you got any further with this? I would think if you did manage to find the original colour reference it wouldn’t match as the paint on your lathe will most likely have dulled. Is there a removable part such as a tool rest that is painted as you might be able to take it somewhere for a colour match but my guess is that you will end up re-painting the whole lathe.

Perhaps the most important thing is that the lathe works well.

Steve

Thread: Black Staining on Vanished Boards
03/12/2015 17:00:45

Hi Stef,

Here is a **LINK** to instructions for uploading your photos.

Steve

02/12/2015 15:19:04

Hi Stef,

Maybe a picture or two would be helpful, there could be a couple of reasons for this happening, ferrous metals reacting with the tannins in the oak would cause staining, this could be from fixings or contamination in the workshop, remnants of wire wool for instance.

From your description the most likely cause is a UV reaction, so a finish with high UV protection would be needed I don’t know enough to advise on this, perhaps someone else will be able to help.

American White Oak should be fine outdoors, it’s Red Oak that isn’t so good and European Oak is still prone to staining.

Hope this helps a little, Steve

28/11/2015 15:00:21

Hi Michael,

I don't think this is Mahogany, it looks like Cherry to me.

Steve

Thread: My Hobby Store Black Friday discounts
28/11/2015 09:49:11

Get 20% off all My Hobby Store purchases from Friday 27th through to Sunday 29th when you enter the code blackfriday at the checkout.

Don't miss out!
**LINK**

Thread: TV Cabinet
07/11/2015 20:15:49

What a splendid cabinet Andrew and those panels, beautiful, is that marquetry?

Steve

Thread: Apple wood for Mill wheel teeth
07/11/2015 20:02:08

Hi Martin,

Sounds like a interesting project, did you get any further with sourcing some suitable wood? my local tree surgeon has a store of a variety of different woods mostly seasoned, might be worth ringing around.

I think Cherry and Hornbeam were often used but I guess you need to match the original wood.

Steve

Thread: More under stairs work
06/11/2015 12:23:14

I like your honesty Mailee, luckily the doors were too tall rather than too short eh!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact