By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Nicholls

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Nicholls has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What a read
14/05/2013 20:14:54

I have now been through every post on the forum, what a read, its a encyclopedia in itself.

Thread: Which tablesaw - Bosch GTS 10 XC
14/05/2013 20:12:17

Re-visited.

I thought some more about a tablesaw. I think Al had it right, the Bosch is a site saw and I am not willing to hope I get an accurate model and the footprint is too small.

After looking at makes such as SIP, Axminster, and local stuff - Einhell for example, I decided to take the plunge and buy a saw I have heard a lot about but not actually seen, a leap of faith so to speak. I have purchased a Precisa 3, from Steppach in Germany.

I really hope I have made the right choice as I eagerly await its delivery from Germany. The way I see it this should be my first and last table saw purchase.

Regards all.

Thread: dust masks - whats the difference?
29/03/2013 22:15:53

Thanks for this topic, and Oddjob's link. In realitythis should be a sticked post, if the forum can support it.

Thread: Happy Easter
29/03/2013 22:04:00

To all...

Thread: Recognising marine ply
12/03/2013 18:12:17

Problem sorted, I can buy it direct from the boat yard.

Thanks all.

08/03/2013 18:52:58

Hi,

I need to get some marine ply, to make a steaming cabinet for my green woodworking chair legs and a few other projects.

I may need to order it in, but is there any characterisitics I should be aware to identify it, from as it may be something I have looked at and not recognised?

Thread: women and woodworking
08/03/2013 18:48:22

Interesting topic, I see my wife as the finisher and architect, more so then the workhorse, and my friends experince the same.

Interestingly enough when St Matthias church, in the Buda castle was being restored approx 30% of the masons were female. I really wish I took my camera, as these were not navvy types either.

Thread: Not somebodys morning
06/03/2013 16:39:40

Not woodworking related, but this is the off topic section after all.

I was having my coffee this morning with my wife, looking out the window both admiring the onset of spring. When we both saw a local person, taking a shortcut across our field.

He placed his bicycle on the other side of the fence and was just straddling it to go over, when my wife decided to turn the power on.

Oh, did I forget to mention the fence in question was an electric one surprise

Thread: Which tablesaw - Bosch GTS 10 XC
05/03/2013 22:04:05

Thanks Big A,

It's pretty much the problem I face - wrong location, I am not worried about the table size, I can accomodate that issue, its the sturdinest/reliability I am concerned about.

To put some more clarity around it, my later project will be a heavy duty bandsaw, which will be the big investment and a jointer/planer, at the moment I am fedup with saw horses and a circular saw and a electric planer, to do the donkey work.

05/03/2013 18:03:45

Hi all,

After a quick site search I don't really see this topic covered. Ideally I am looking for a table saw with some oomph and reliability.

The Bosch GTS 10 XC, has caugght my eye, does anyone have any experience. Ideally I would love to g for the cast top model but as I need to ship it in, price is very much a factor.

Any other comparisons appreciated, I took the detail from the 2013 Axminster catalogue. Regarding power/cutting tools you will probably see a few more posts form me on these topics

Thread: Introduction
05/03/2013 17:52:19
Posted by Julian on 05/03/2013 13:30:22:

Hi Mark -- Welcome to the forum, we look forward to seeing some of your work and helping if we can with your questions. You say that you are not in the UK, I would be interested to hear what the market position is in Hungary with regards to the purchase of tools etc -- Julian

Edited By Julian on 05/03/2013 13:32:02

Hi Julian - et al,

Tools are not to clever to come by, a lot of chinese junk and cast offs, unless your willing to travel into Austria or Germany, or do the flea markets, its a popular bidding site, or for me Axminster.

Timber though, thats more interesting, you have Baumax or the likes which is a German version of Do it all, which is good for decking or PAR firewood. Unless you look at some real timber merchants like Zatica, where you buy & need to mill it yourself, there is very little inbetween.

Plywood is a virtual unknown and MDF is another topic altogether.

I really do look forward to posting some of my work. Will be in touch soon (and in the correct thread).

B/R Mark.

03/03/2013 16:47:09

Hi & thanks all,

I have updated my page details. Essentially my interests are ( regarding wood related) - greenwood working for chairs/tables, tool handles/outdoor structures also for making shingles. I love working - cabinet making enterprises via the table saw and bench joinery and relish traditional tools (not adverse to power tools).

Essentially after the recession in the 90's, and becoming a IT corporate slave, as a result, (and sanity related) have moved out of the city, (and abroad), I want to go back to what I deem freedom and make it my hobby/career and retirement plan. So much has evolved over the years, I will be asking questions and seeking guidance.

Especially power tool related. At the moment am upgrading the home.

03/03/2013 16:47:08

Hi & thanks all,

I have updated my page details. Essentially my interests are ( regarding wood related) - greenwood working for chairs/tables, tool handles/outdoor structures also for making shingles. I love working - cabinet making enterprises via the table saw and bench joinery and relish traditional tools (not adverse to power tools).

Essentially after the recession in the 90's, and becoming a IT corporate slave, as a result, (and sanity related) have moved out of the city, (and abroad), I want to go back to what I deem freedom and make it my hobby/career and retirement plan. So much has evolved over the years, I will be asking questions and seeking guidance.

Especially power tool related. At the moment am upgrading the home.

01/03/2013 23:34:55

Hi everyone,

I would like to say to everyone hello, I have been off the tools for 20+ years and am getting back to it. What a learning curve, but not amazed how the basics still apply.

B/regards

Mark Nicholls.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact