By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Davison

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Davison has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 18v Ryobi One+ Range - 2013
27/06/2013 23:18:46

Is anybody familiar with the Ryobi One+ Range currently on sale in B&Q?

I am in the market for a few new power tools - drill, jiggy, circ.saw, impact driver etc. This 18v battery range seems reasonable at first inspection. Is Ryobi gear generally well made to mild/medium duty use?

Ive looked around the net/forums and found a few comments on this which seem to be generally positive, though mostly from 2008 time. Can anybody offer their opinions on a more recent experience?

#light-medium user.

Thread: please advise - What is SCANT timber ?
25/06/2013 12:35:59

I am familiar with regular Pine timbers PAR which I have used to make furniture. SCANT is not the same stuff is it - type/species/quality wise is it?
You wouldn't use SCANT to make anything furniture wise would you so there must be a difference.
From the little I have seen/experienced of SCANT it seems very bowed/cupped/twisted or any combination of the 3....anything but anywhere near straight. Also the grain/fibre structure seems much knarlier and unpleasant.

So can anyone please tell me What SCANT actually is - how it is produced ???

Thread: Dry Lubricant / PTFE ....same thing ????
18/03/2013 12:03:03

Thanks guys that really helps. So as long as it is a PTFE spray thats the stuff im looking for.

I think i too have seen the 3-in-1 PTFE in my local stores so now i know i can pick it up as and when required an i dont need to go to any special lengths to source it in. Ill pick some up next time im out.

17/03/2013 20:57:23

Evening chaps and chapetts.

Im looking for a dry lubricant (womething with will repell sawdust etc) for the mechanical/moving components of my various tools/machines.

I am looking for something which categorically states "dry lubricant" on the can but I am finding many labelled as "PTFE lubricants".

Through the research ive done, it is sounding to me like PTFE is a dry lubricant....or is the same thing as dry lubricant.

Am i right....is Dry Lube/PTFE lube one and the same thing?

Does anyone use a dry lube they can reccomend?

Please advise.

Thanks gang.

Thread: best buy- Rec Power bandsaw - Premium 10" or Standard 12"
14/03/2013 17:29:17

Thanks guys, some sold comments there.

The thing with the Record's is that i was reading the 'buyers guide/product guide' on their website and going through all the components of a bandsaw their statements generally begin with (in regard to the motors, the wheels, the table etc) "On all our premium models this is great, that is is great, yadda yadda yadda......". OK thats great but what about your non-premium models??? are they made from shoddy components??

The Premium 12" and the standard 14" are out of my budget right now.......hence the question is the premium 10 better than the standard 12?

What when and where is this Yandles you refer to? Ive just been to Harrogate last thursday for the Builders/Electricians Tool Show. I picked up a Metabo SCMS KMS254m which i got for £200 which i was well pleased with (good deal).....but then the Hitachi stall couldnt really do a deal better than i hadnt already found elsewhere.

Furthermore, Charnwood came to my attention regarding their bandsaws which look pretty good via their website. So the 10" @ £189 or the 12" @ £389 if i wanna convince myself to spend at the top end. Any comments on Charnwood?

13/03/2013 18:24:47

Can i pose this one to the woodworking thinktank please? (title says it all pretty much)

In the market for a small scale bandsaw (yet quality and accuracy are an important factor). I am swaying toward Record Power at the moment....though this is not yet set in stone pending any solid reccomendations otherwise.
So at the moment my question to you is......Would buying the PREMIUM 10" bandsaw @ £240 be a better buy than the STANDARD 12" model @ £370 ?

From this you get the idea what i require and the budget im working with. There is also a Metabo BAS317 in Screwfix for £430 which as a member of staff I could get for £345. And there is also an Axminster "hobby" model at my top top end of £399.

Regards,
Chris.

Thread: dust masks - whats the difference?
11/03/2013 21:01:39

Can anyone tell me what dust mask i should be buying? What is all this P2 and P3 stuff?

Small workshop, woodworking, sawdust, sanding, MDF. Please advise.

Regards,
Chris.

Thread: small workshop compressor
07/03/2013 21:21:12

Hi all.

Im thinking about getting a compressor for my workshop. Never had one before and know nothing about them.
I am wanting to use an 18g 15-50mm brad nailer, an air blower, and if possible a sprayer.
I am talking about small scale projects....I am not re-spraying cars all day or anything like that.

Been looking in the M/Mart, Axminster catalogues etc at the entry level 25lt compressors around £100. Would this be sufficient?

I dont know what any of the specifications mean or whats good or not....nor which brands are favourable.

Can anybody offer me any guidance?

Thank you.

Thread: GMC Power Tools (and MacAllister too actually)
17/02/2013 17:57:20
G'day y'all.
Does anybody know anything about the GMC brand of power tools (the only place ive seen them is in the ToolStation catalogue). In particular the 250mm sliding mitre saw?

I am currently in the market for a sliding mitre saw for my small personal workshop, but i dont know if i should get/need to get a double bevel or just a single bevel?

Ive had my eye on Hitachi 216mm and a Metabo 216mm at the top end of my budget at £250 mark. But then I have seen the GMC model in Toolstation which will bevel both left and right for £195. Also seen a MacAllister model in B&Q which is a double bevel also under £200. But i dont really know anything of these brands?

Are they solid and accurate?
Comments and opinions welcome. Thank you.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact