By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for tonyone

Here is a list of all the postings tonyone has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chaise Longue
25/10/2012 22:10:28

Hi Steve

Sorry for the delay I had an accident in the workshop a few days ago. Been in their all day then came out for some tea about 6 then went back in about half seven just to do a bit more sanding. It's always the same , at the end of the day when your tired and not thinking straight. I had been using the 4 inch belt sander alot during the day , I picked it up and pressed the trigger it started but the belt had jammed some how, so I took my finger off the trigger and instead of using a stick to give the belt a nudge I used my fingers!!!!!??? Suprising how much skin and flesh an 80 grit belt can take off in a short while , so I have four fingers bandaged up on my left hand.

However I have done you a couple of drawings as I can't find a picture ,I will draw around the template s over the weekend and get them posted to you. I assume you have an upholsterer in mind, he will be able to advise you on thicknesses of foam and any additional rails he may want in but you should be OK with the ones I've drawn. If you have any problems just give me a pm and I will try and help.

Regards Tony.

18/10/2012 20:28:03

Hi DaveO

Of course , why didn't I think of that ? I will look through my photo's and see what I can find if not I can draw you something and post it along with the paper templates.

Tony

17/10/2012 17:32:11

Hi Steve,

I have made lots of chaise logues in my time I ran a business making frames for upholsterers , sofas chairs stool and chaisies. I have still got my patterns for a full size chaise , you need some turned legs ( might even have 4 of those in the wokshop somewhere). Thing is I don't know how this helps you cos you will need the patterns to draw around, any ideas.

Regards Tony.

Thread: Scroll saw/Fretsaw reviews
16/10/2012 23:22:18

Hi guys just thought I would give an update on the scroll saw situation. I won a SIP 01928 16" scroll saw on Ebay it was only £45, it was a damaged return. It had the blower hose broken, which I easily repaired , I bought some decent blades for it , watched Steve Goods vids on Youtube to get some hints and tips , very good viewing by the way, and off I went . I cut 20mm pine, 6mm ply, 6mmMDF, mainly external cuts, I make heart shaped tea light holders to sell in my shops. I found it better to wrap the wood in cellotape as advised by Steve Good, I thought the glue on the tape might clog up the teeth on the blade but no, it really did help lubricate the blade I was getting through a lot of blades until I tried this and it was great. But then things started to go badly wrong , firstly the cam shaped lever that puts tension on the blade snapped. It is made from plastic and the holes that the roll pin passes through broke, there is a lot of tension on the pins, has to be to keep the blade nice and tight. So no easy release cam lever, had to resort to pliers. Then the rheostat that increase and decreases the speed packed in , I had it on full speed but it was too slow to cut 20 mm pine. The machine was always very jumpy and noisy even bolted to the bench, well today it made the most aweful banging sounds and ground to a halt. I removed the inspection covers to see the motor underneath. It has a cam system fitted to the arm on the end of the motor similar to the windscreen motor on a car this was loose and crashing about all over the place, the motor was running fast then slow then not at all. I give up with the darn thing it's gone in the scrap pile and I'm back on the market for something better. Don't buy a SIP.

24/07/2012 22:51:03

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-awss-18-flex-scroll-saw-prod834611/

Found this review of the Axminster scroll saw, I too bid on an Axminster saw I bid £45 but it went for £68 or so , couldn't do anything about it as I was working and couldn't get to the internet, but having read this review I think I may have had a lucky escape.

This looks interesting but I've never heard of this make.

19/07/2012 20:37:58

Thanks guys I will look on Ebay , just a couple of things that have occurred to me is variable speed really nesessary and is foot operation something that can be added on after purchase if the machine isn't fitted with it , and what about dust extraction as the machines seem to have a blower rather than a sucker for the dust.

Many thanks Tony.

18/07/2012 22:51:28

Hi all,

My name is Tony I have just joined the group, I am not new to good wooworking magazine though as I used to subscribe for many years, I am looking for reviews or opinions on scroll saws / fretsaws as I am in the market for a used one. Any feedback gratefully recieved.

Many thanks

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact