What's in the April 2013 issue of The Woodworker
Spring is just around the corner, and we have an issue chock full of goodies to tempt you out of the armchair and into the workshop. So brush away the cobwebs, clean off the rust and get cracking. Here’s what you’ve got to look forward to in our projects section…
• Ash triptych – Kerry Donovan describes how he re-invented the traditional three-panel room screen by devising a cunning concealed hinge mechanism that would swing both ways
• Theme and variations – Peter Parfitt presents a classic oak side table made with domino joints, and explains how to add drawers and shelves as variations on the basic design
• Accentuate the positive – Robert Couldwell explains how he overcame the problems caused by a shortage of woodworking skill and workshop machinery to create a computer desk with some ingenious touches
In our Workshop section, Andy Standing continues his light-hearted new series with a ramble through woodworking topics beginning with the letter D (and chucks in an E for good measure). Andy King takes a look at the spindle moulder, with advice on choosing the machine, setting it up and using it safely. Alan Holtham describes one of his most unusual workshop projects – converting an ex-hospital bed into an adjustable-height workbench – while Keith Smith tells us he’s updated his website, bought himself an iPad to do client presentations, improved his CAD skills and still found time to do a bit of woodwork.
Our Turning section kicks off with Bob Chapman back in the classroom as he presents the first part of his new potted guide to help you get better and more satisfying results when you’re turning bowls. Colin Simpson describes the techniques involved in moulding and turning simple embellishments in pewter to enhance the beauty of your turned work. Finally, Ian Wilkie shows you how to turn two different candlestick designs, and explains how making a pair can improve your copy-turning skills.
Lastly, our regular Test section has reviews this month of the following tools and equipment:
• Bosch GSB 10.8V-2-Li combi drill driver
• Charnwood W730 bandsaw
• Flexcut detail jack knife
• Hitachi R18DSL cordless vacuum cleaner
• Makita BTM50 and TM3000C multi-tools
• Metabo STA 18 LTX cordless jigsaw
• Senco FinishPro 18MG nailer kit
• Triton TWSS10 wetstone grinder
• Veritas miniature low-angle block plane
• Veritas planing stop
• Worx DDI3.1 impact driver
Never miss an issue of The Woodworker again by subscribing here. Not only will you get your copy of your favourite woodworking magazine early every month; you will also get FREE unlimited access to digital back issues of The Woodworker and to the on-line magazine indexes for the years 2006 to 2012.
Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!
Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!
We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!