By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Western Red Cedar allergy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Muskoka man27/04/2013 21:14:47
5 forum posts

After using Western Red Cedar for a number of years it seems I now have an allergy to it. I've googled it (as you do) but what I want to know is has anyone here had this problem and more importantly have they got over it? Doctor says pack it in working with WRC but I'm hoping not to.

Derek Lane28/04/2013 22:51:08
2706 forum posts
756 photos

Different woods effect different people in some way, a good filtered dust mask or better still a full face mask with the correct filters.

I have not had a go at Western Red Cedar

Luckily I don't suffer with any of the woods it is super glue when I use it on my pens. Have got over the problem with my chip extractor by taking the bag off and sucking the fumes to the outside.

Geoffrey Laycock13/05/2013 16:43:06
10 forum posts

Hi, sorry to hear you have experienced problems. Western Red Cedar is known to cause a variety of problems which can be acute meaning short term, or chronic meaning long term. If you have become allergic to WRC dust then it is unlikely this will change. The best option is avoid any exposure and that includes eyes as well as breathing. If you want to continue working with wood then respiratory protection and eye protection (suitable for dust) are essential and you should try to minimise any airborne use using extraction. When you finish work you should use a vacuum to clean down overalls etc and watch out for dust in your hair. Any small amount of dust once sensitised to it, can produce a reaction. If you have repeat episodes of allergic reaction it can become worse.

Hope this helps

Geoffrey

Muskoka man15/05/2013 22:05:27
5 forum posts

It's not looking good. I worked with pine all last week and had no problems. Worked with WRC today and it's set me off again, sore throat, runny nose etc. B**g*r!

So it seems you're right Geoffrey, I need to stay away from it.

Michael Forster 216/05/2013 08:54:15
69 forum posts
46 photos

Get a good ambient air filter, too. Microclene do some good ones or if you have the budget and the space go for a Jet - avaialble from Axminster. This has some great refinements like multiple speeds and timer settings so you can leave it running for some hours after you leave the shop. Mine is up in the roofspace out of the way, operated by the standard remote control - and I can definitely feel the difference when I go into the workshop after it's been running for a while.

Another point to consider: I find the Microclene noisy whereas the Jet can be left running while I'm working without the noise affecting me.

Michael Forster 216/05/2013 08:58:01
69 forum posts
46 photos

It's worth remembering that the most dangerous dust is generally the really fine stuff that you can't see - so even if the air looks clear, use the cleaner regularly. (I've also now ditched my brush and dustpan and use a fine-filter shop vac for cleaning the bench and floor at regular intervals. I love watching all the dust and shavings disappear up the tube knowing that it's not coming out the other end and once gone it's gone for good!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Chris Tribe Furniture
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Woodcraft Workshop
Chippendale
Trend UK
D&M Tools
Screwfix
Toolstream Elmers  Oct