We now have a new events diary

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steven24/04/2013 20:10:30
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

We now have an events diary.

The diary is a list of events for woodworkers. From shows to visit, where at first hand you can see the new kit that you have only read about, to exhibitions of finely crafted furniture.

You can find this in the new Events tab.

If you come across anything of interest you would like added to the list please post in this thread or you can send an email to editor@getwoodworking.com.

Woodworking related events open to the general public only please.

Steven

Edited By Steven on 09/05/2013 22:50:16

Amos Starkadder13/03/2014 08:44:20
25 forum posts
1 photos

Can these be slightly off-topic events? I'm thinking of things like the Patchings craft show in Nottinghamshire where a few wood makers turn up amongst the painters, wood engravers and block printers who I've seen there are very much an "allied trade". The tool dealer show that coincides with the 6 monthly David Stanley auction, the Peterborough 6 monthly antiques show, amongst its 1700 stalls are a few tool dealers and a lot of furniture (real Arts and Crafts if you're lucky) plus hardware and the Ferrers Centre where some nice wood crafted items turn up from time to time (they publish that Craft & Design magazine which lists events and competitions - wood is a whole section so you do see some of our best makers featured there)

Incorporating ideas from other crafts into wood designs can be inspirational too, I keep an eye open for leatherwork (centred on the Identity shop in Matlock), there's a handbag catch there that looks perfect for a box catch, conchos (metal discs with simple to elaborate patterns) that are designed for furniture such as drawer pulls and a whole bunch of studs that might work on boxes. Box makers use leather for hinges sometimes too, so it's worth learning the basics.

Steven13/03/2014 11:27:27
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Hi Amos,

Slightly off topic is just fine, the events you mention are all related to woodworking and open to the general public so that fits. I will include these in the events diary, thanks for pointing them out.

I agree that crafts are often complimentary and also being open to the ideas and techniques of other crafts people should be encouraged.

Steve.

Simon Reeves13/03/2014 12:54:57
622 forum posts
227 photos

Great to see the events listed, but just a generic comment about the shows - why do most of them seem to be in the North of the country? Us "southern softies" only seem to have Yandles and the SE England show.

Simon

Derek Lane13/03/2014 16:35:12
3104 forum posts
943 photos

Simon

Did you go to the SE show at Detling

Amos Starkadder14/03/2014 07:45:50
25 forum posts
1 photos

I think that's partly my fault, Simon. Steve added my suggestions straight away which led to a temporary bias.

I'm sure lots of southern shows will get into the list gradually.

I like to see well balanced shows with a range of goodies to buy plus a range of made items. When the Warwickshire show was running we used to see stuff from the Rockingham Carvers and others, the Model Wheelwrights, the chap who made wheelbarrows out of different timbers, several marquetry groups, pole lathes and other turners and, most importantly, work by students at the various colleges. They'll all still be exhibiting somewhere, I hope they turn up in this list, I think it's important for the continuation of the college courses that students promote themselves at such events, its where potential customers may be browsing.

Amos Starkadder24/03/2014 07:31:34
25 forum posts
1 photos

This thread seems to be a useful one to bring events to the attention of the GW team, at least it worked for my suggestions.

In the introduction to Events section, there's only an email link.

As postings on this thread fade away it becomes less obvious that one can use this thread to suggest events.

Can a link to this thread be added to the introductory paragraph at the top of the Events section?

Peterborough show was valuable by the way, picked up a nice little pattern-maker's depth gauge and there were lots of planes around, many poor quality + high price but a heck of a lot of wooden ones, including some nice sets of moulding planes. Next one is 3rd, 4th October.

Amos Starkadder24/03/2014 07:47:26
25 forum posts
1 photos

About the David Stanley auctions:

One thing not mentioned in the Events section about this is that all the tool dealers in the country gather together a couple of days before the actual auction, to wheel and deal amongst themselves and (eventually) to bid and auction off their best items.

So prior to the actual auction, during the viewing, they have their stalls set up in the Hermitage Centre and will sell stuff to the public, this is where the Americans go to acquire vans full of tools for selling in the US (last time I went one guy said he'd got so much stuff - 23 crates - that the British Isles floated a little higher in the water once he'd sailed away)

Oh, and you can make online bids - check out their online catalogue.

Amos Starkadder18/09/2014 08:38:13
25 forum posts
1 photos

Second-hand tools at David Stanley auctions.

The next international auction is on Saturday 27th September at 9:00 in Whitwick, Leicestershire (http://www.davidstanley.com/international-tool-auction) - don't forget you can make online bids if you fancy anything in the actual auction

Many tool dealers turn up there and set up stalls but you'll need to catch them before the actual auction, so that's the viewing times the day before (26th) from 12:00 until 19:00 (although by that time many of them will have gone for their tea) or really early the following morning (7:00 - and they;ll be packing up around 8:00)

Malcolm Alexander 104/10/2014 14:38:42
57 forum posts
37 photos

You seem to have missed the Joinery & Furniture manufacturing Show 2014 at the NEC. From 5th to 8th October.

Just mentioned it as I will be going and having just found this site, other members may be interested.

Malcolm

Steven04/10/2014 18:24:17
143 forum posts
11 photos
367 articles

Thanks for that Malcolm, this has been added to the events diary, have a great day at the show.

Steve

Roy Oxlade01/01/2015 13:56:51
16 forum posts

Hi all

A couple of dates for the diary:

North of England Woodworking show @ Yorkshire showground in Harrogate between 20th and 22nd of November 2015.

Woodworking Scotland @ Royal Highlands showground in Edinburgh 25th and 26th October 2015.

Roy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chris Tribe Furniture
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact