By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Router & Router Table

How do I secure a router to a router table?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Cartmell01/03/2011 14:52:35
4 forum posts
I have a Powercraft 1200W router and a Powercraft router table. I assumed that I would be able to bolt one to the other to make a secure connection with the cutter centres guaranteed central to the access hole in the table. What I appear to have is a sort of clamping system that is less secure than I would have liked and with no means of automatically ensuring mutual centring.

Do I need to drill my own holes in the table?
Am I being a silly worrier about expecting a secure connection?
Have I missed something obvious?

Derek Lane01/03/2011 16:44:06
2729 forum posts
767 photos
I don't think you missed anything They are not the best tables in the world (I have one not used anymore). I have built a table similar to the one in the photo above.

There are 4 clamps underneath which for the size of router make it usable but you need to centre it using rings on the underside

This is my router table (still without the door

Must update picture as it does not show fence
daveO01/03/2011 17:13:20
247 forum posts
34 photos
John
no you havent missed anything, some of these tables often arent compatable with there own routers and thats not just wolfcraft. In my experience drilling the table would make for a easier centring than the clamps.Also as I always do when making a new table is to hinge it at one end iff possible and so it tilts up from left to right and sits on a support leg- this not only makes for easier fitting of the router but for changing bits as well
regards dave
Oddjob01/03/2011 18:17:28
1635 forum posts
79 photos
I wouldn't dream of using a router table that didn't have the means to positively secure the router. In my opinion you must have machine screws through the table insert and into the router base. I cannot see that any clamping system would suffice. Routers are fast, powerful and potentially very dangerous machines - treat them with the greatest respect.

I guess you got these tools from Aldi? Aldi does not sell good tools cheaply. It sells cheap tools at probably more than they are worth. Aldi pays approximately 50% of retail price for hardware. Can you imagine good quality products being manufactured and transported half way around the world and producing a profit for the maker all for 50% of what you have paid? I doubt it.

The old addage never fails - you get what you pay for, if you're very lucky and if it seems cheap it almost certainly is.

Richard
Ron Davis01/03/2011 19:41:53
1506 forum posts
200 photos
You have it right there Richard, I hava acheapy which does surprisingly well, but I am planning to rebuild mine from scratch sometime soon. Does anyone know where to get the channell for the mitre guide from?

Ron
Doug Barratt02/03/2011 09:19:12
3409 forum posts
29 photos
One source >>here<< Ron.

Simon Reeves02/03/2011 13:13:04
618 forum posts
227 photos
Hi John

I don't have a router table per se, but I made a mobile chop saw / router station that was one of the projects in GWW several years ago. You can see the saw mounted in the pic below, with the router plate and fence in the opening just below. The plate is universal, which you just drill to suit your router. Richard is dead right about securely fixing the router - you wouldn't want anything with a sharp cutter spinning at 20,000 rpm to come loose!!!!

The router is permanently connected to the plate, which just drops in to a separate table top (actually a length of white kitchen worktop) that is the white upright piece just to the left of the picture. The saw and its baseboard just lift out and the router table part replaces them. The table has a 3/4" section of T-track fitted for the mitre gauge and featherboards, and the same is fitted to the fence. The second pic shows it a bit better.

Simon
Ron Davis02/03/2011 20:40:25
1506 forum posts
200 photos
Thanks Baz I will bear that in mind when I eventually do the build

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Woodcraft Workshop
Trend UK