By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

The Bury St Edmunds Woodturning Club's new lathe

All operational and ready to go

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ron Davis15/06/2010 20:21:53
1554 forum posts
200 photos
Last night I was able to show off the donated lathe to the Bury St Edmunds woodturning club, and this is it!

It is a Tyme cub with a half horse power motor and four speeds, the stand dismantles and I have made the tool rack  so as to be able to transport it all in my car.

The 56lb weight is not for decoration, I did not allow for the overhang of the mtor so we need a counter balance., the green part on the stand is the bowl rest,the headstock swivels to allow bowls to be turned.

As you can se the bed bars are 1" solid steel, the right hand one has been rotated 45 degrees and the headstock, tail stock and banjo mounting have a corresponding groove in them, this makes for an accurate lathe and any drilling is almost guaranteed to be spot on, why current manufacturers do not do this is beyond me, simple but effective

Having made the stand, I made a tool rack to house the mainly Ashley Iles tools which came with it, a member then gave me some more tools and now I need a bigger rack! Just another incredibly generous gift.

I have mentioned that this lahe is now usable due to one member with a metal turning lathe, we have decided that the Craft Supplies Prescion chuck is not for us as it is to complex for club nights, even though it is a good chuck. so we decided that we needed an adaptor for my Axminster chuck, we my friend simply went a way and made one to convert my chuck to the metric thread on the lathe, which was more than Aminster could supply, they only had one for a Shopssmith which I would need too get threaded any way. He also made a mandrel which fits in the headstock and takes a 3/4 * 16 thread

Thanks to the donor and to the club member who took suchan interest, we have a lathe to use, all we need now is to persuade the members to use it! They seemed a bit shy last night

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 15/06/2010 20:26:58

Sparky15/06/2010 21:04:16
7622 forum posts
22 photos
Ron

This is fantstic mate, not only the gift of the lathe & tools but your work on the stand and tool rack, well done to all and happy turning at the club.

Well done

Marc
Ron Davis15/06/2010 21:08:46
1554 forum posts
200 photos
Thanks Sparky

Ron
Dave Atkinson15/06/2010 21:18:20
672 forum posts
115 photos
Great stuff Ron - enjoy!

Dave 
dennis wake15/06/2010 22:53:27
2015 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles
hi Ron
   glad to hear that your lathe is now up and running.you will now want to get the demmos up and running  and ther is a lot out ther .  our club is having Sara therlwell demmonstrat tomorrow so looking forward to that. 
   dennis

George Arnold16/06/2010 18:48:49
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ron
  Glad you have overcome all the problems! and are up and running, I hope more members turn up to turn up. well done

George
Alan T.16/06/2010 19:04:41
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Just super Ron, Good luck with the club and well done.    Alan T.
Ron Davis16/06/2010 19:40:43
1554 forum posts
200 photos
Thanks guys, we have had a demo with the man bringing his own lathe, now we can offer a club lathe. We are looking to have a demo or two soon, and not just me confusing every one with my efforts!

The club is doing ok and gaining members nearly every session, with some ovey examples of both work and home built gadgets on disply

Ron
Duncan Aske06/02/2017 21:26:11
2 forum posts

Hi Ron,

I hope you get this message, my father who passed away a few years ago left me a Tyme cub lathe, just like yours, I have done a huge amount of research on it and have purchased a 3" chuck for bowl turning etc, the only problem is attaching it to the lathe, the thread on the lathe is I believe about 3/4" with probably 14TPI or therabouts, my new chuck is 1" with 8TPI, I have searched in vane trying to find an adapter for this and after reading your messages from your friends I noticed one of your mates sorted it on his metal turning lathe, do you think he may be able to advise me on how to overcome this problem.

I would be very grateful as this lathe is very sentimental to me.

Hears hoping

Regards Duncan (Leicestershire)

Ron Davis07/02/2017 21:02:09
1554 forum posts
200 photos

Hi Duncan, I have similar attachments to the Tyme Cub as it was the lathes we used when I first went to a wood turning course.

We had the same problem in fitting the chuck, because Tyme were well ahead of the game in that they went metric, the thread on your head stock is 20mm by 2mm. We used my Axminster chuck and one of the members made an adaptor, which Axminster could not do. If you have an Axminster chuck you could have a new adaptor made as they are only held on with four screws, other makes have the tread tapped directly to the body. It is possible to have a an adaptor with 3/4" by 16tpi with 12 by 8tpi, although this would put the chuck a little way out from the head stock.

We have now sold the lathe and bought a second hand Axminster, mainly to get the 1"by 8tpi thread for chucks and faceplates, and for demonstrators to use their own chucks on.

You will have to take the chuck and the lathe headstock to an engineering firm to see what they can do for you. Goood luck with it, and have you  thought of joining a local club? Loads of free advice and who knows, maybe a another member with a metal turning lathe

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 07/02/2017 21:06:41

Duncan Aske08/02/2017 20:39:57
2 forum posts

Thanks for the great advise Ron, your a star, I will let you know how I get on. Its funny how such a popular lathe back in the 80s and so well built and ahead of its time is almost virtually impossible to get spare parts and when you do find them you need a small mortgage to purchase them, they even made a couple of hundred lathes at 24" centres although these are so rare you can only see them in pictures.

Once again many thanks for replying.

Regards Duncan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
D Cole Solutions
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chris Tribe Furniture
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Digital Back Issues

Good Woodworking Digital Back Issues The Woodworker Digital Back Issues

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact