By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

New Tenon Jig

Something I've knocked up in the workshop!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Olly Parry-Jones09/06/2010 08:02:17
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Hi guys,

I needed a new tenon jig for my router table - the old one (a Steve Maskery design) worked very well but, due to the limited plunge of my Freud router, I could only use straight cutters with it. I bought a tenon cutter last year from Wealden Tools which is simply one of the best things I've ever purchased!

...Okay, actually, I made two!!

One is a simple "push board" type of thing, which keeps the timber at 90° to as it passes through the cutter, preventing breakout/spelching on the rear edge. The other is much the same again - but, with the addition of a 6mm ply base below. This acts as a platform to carry the timber past the cutter, rather than relying on the machine's bed/table. By lining it with 120g abrasive paper as well, the timber's held quite firmly in place. It doesn't slide about.

In use:

Base is 18mm MR MDF with a hardwood lipping down the running edge. There's a main fence (ash, again) to which I have attached a sacrificial softwood fence to prevent breakout (this can easily be repositioned or replaced as it wears). I haven't yet added a clamp as I don't think an MDF base would be strong enough to resit flexing/distorting. A full-length fence false fence on your router table is also essential.

For small-scale furniture parts like this, I find it's ideal.

Hope you found this interesting, thanks for looking.

Have a look in my album for further progress on the Side Table.

Olly.
Sparky09/06/2010 13:34:12
7631 forum posts
22 photos
This is very good Olly.
Great images. Its jigs like these that make life a lot easier.

You have also reminded me to get some perspex for hand/ eye shields

Cheers

Marc

ps, Like the name change.....must be getting famous
Doug09/06/2010 16:14:38
3415 forum posts
35 photos
I use something similar but without a clamp or handle, i got the idea off Derek Willis.

It works fine with small sections of timbers, but i`ve started using using the trenching facility on my SCMS for tenons on larger sections, i find it easier.

Cheers.

Baz 
Big Al09/06/2010 17:35:33
1584 forum posts
69 photos
I have used shop made sledges such as these in the past, but with limited success. I have found that, even when using a fresh sacrificial strip on the back, that I would tend to get tear-out at the end of the cut. Admittedly I have never tried the tenon cutter from wealdon, if its anything like the cutters that I have bought from them then it will do what they say it will, and it will do it well.

About 2 years ago I bought a tenon jig for my table saw, similar to this one.

It is very accurate and easy to set up, and very safe to use. You do have to remove the riving knife and crown guard, but as long as your sensible it is safe to use.

Al 
Toothy09/06/2010 17:44:21
458 forum posts
67 photos
Hi Al

Hell it looks complicated

Toothy
Big Al09/06/2010 17:55:00
1584 forum posts
69 photos
Hi toothy, actually its not as complicated as it looks. You can cut compound tenons on it as well.

Al 
Sparky09/06/2010 18:01:32
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Posted by baz on 09/06/2010 16:14:38:
I use something similar but without a clamp or handle, i got the idea off Derek Willis.

Marc
Mailee09/06/2010 19:08:36
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Ok, if we are showing off our tenoning jigs here's mine.

It is my home made copy of the one Big al uses. Very accurate once set up. I do like the idea you have used though Olly.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Chris Tribe Furniture
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Digital Back Issues

Good Woodworking Digital Back Issues The Woodworker Digital Back Issues

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact