By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Lathe chisel angles???

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Leland Frerichs18/12/2009 05:27:42
1 forum posts
Hey everyone, Leland here. I'm new to this forum but I thought it would be ok to stop by sign up and ask a question.
I'm sort of new to turning and have desided to sharpen my own lathe chisels. My grinder and jig is just about set and then I'll be ready to go.
My question is: At what angle(s) should I sharpen my gouges. I have a 7/8" roughing gouge/  3/4"  spindle gouge/  3/8" & 1/2" bowl gouge.
Any recommendations would be of great help.
thanks
Leland

Edited By Leland Frerichs on 18/12/2009 05:34:57

Mark Sutton18/12/2009 07:35:10
189 forum posts
58 photos

Try the above link, but all wood turners are different and have different angles to suit what they are turning, i do hope it helps though

Edited By Mark Sutton on 18/12/2009 07:36:50

Derek Lane18/12/2009 13:13:55
2707 forum posts
756 photos
For the moment Sharpen them at the angles that you purchased them. Then as you become more efficient you will find different angles to suit yourself  and the way you turn
Delete22/12/2009 15:33:29
575 forum posts
Leland

As no one else has givenyou a welcome , May I welcome you to our Forum I hope you will find us a pleasant crowd

You might like to fill in a Profile This is sometimes a help when offering advice.

Rog

Edited By Roger B on 22/12/2009 15:34:46

George Arnold22/12/2009 16:50:07
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Leland
 Welcome to the site, a good book on sharpening wood turning chisels is one that Peter Child does The Woodturner's Sharpening Manual it retails @ £3-95, thats if my catalogue is not out of date, they can be reached  on 01787 237291 or www.peterchild.co.uk everybody has their own preferences  but this gives you a good start, good luck with your turning don't be afraid to post your efforts on this site.

George
Ralph Harvey22/12/2009 23:03:23
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Leland

Welcome to the site and to woodturning.

As to the angles ? there are several ways to grind tools and as many if not more angles ? the thing to remember is that all of us find a way that suits us and that is what we like !

Your best bet is to start with follow the angle you bought them with, this is a good general angle then adjust to suit what you find works for you.

The books are great but remember the author is telling you what works for him, and in some cases it will also work for the reader, find what works for you and play around with it !

Ralph
Ged Meager20/01/2010 20:45:35
222 forum posts
When you become confident at turning the answer to you question from most pro. turners will be use whatever angle you are comfortable with however as a beginner try these   they set me in good stead  'roughing gouge 45 degree all scrapers 70degees
spindle gouge 30degrees bowel gouge 45 degrees I would most strongly recommend a book and accompanying vid called a Woodturning a foundation course BY kIETH ROWLEY it will tell you all you need to know to get you started safely. then as you gain in confidence join a club and buy other books and vids Another great vid for spindle work is  Ray Jones a course in spindle turning Go to shows and exhibitons there are generally woodturning demos at them I have never met a turner yet who is not prepared to help a fellow turner If you meet one give him/her a good kicking as they will deserve it  Have great fun but most of all stay safe Ive cought a couple of bit of wood as they fly through the air with the greatest of easeTHEY HURT.  WOODTURNER GED
Toothy21/01/2010 16:36:23
453 forum posts
67 photos
Hi Ged

"..... bowel gouge 45 degrees ...."

Sorry pal but I would hate to have my bowel gouged at any degree

Otherwize its always good to gain insight from others experiences

Toothy
Ron Davis21/01/2010 19:34:52
1499 forum posts
200 photos
The bast advice is, when you have decided on an angle which sutis you , then you need to be able to reproduce that angle every time. Unless you are prepared to see your tools end up as a mess under the grinder, buy - or make -  a jig for the grinder. Go slowly and keep the tool cool by dipping it in water. Something which a lot of people overlook is that it takes time for the metal to cool, leave it in the water pot for a few seconds.

Ron
George Arnold21/01/2010 20:13:50
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Make sure what ever angle you grind, that it is "SHARP"  and ground with one bevel!

George
Doug Barratt22/01/2010 08:36:30
3409 forum posts
29 photos
Whilst agreeing with Ron`s first comment, the second is not the advice i`ve been given.

Cooling HSS steel with water will alter its temper, making the tip brittle. Much better to develop  a light touch when grinding, avoid blueing, (though a little it is not too detrimental) & if the steel gets hot let it cool naturally.

Baz  
Eric Harvey 124/03/2010 18:04:36
215 forum posts
81 photos
just a little note,do remember to take off the sharp angle (ie round it off a bit underneath )at the base of the grind so you don`t leave scratch marks on your work,regards,

Eric
April Andy22/10/2010 18:50:18
1 forum posts
Hey,

I'm not really an expert when it comes to that kind of issue,but I must say that with what others said. 

You can also look it in Google,I'm sure Google could provide every information you want.  

woodturning tools

A122/10/2010 21:53:03
7649 forum posts
1 photos
Andy

Welcome to this site's forum.

Leland doesn't need to search Google, the above information is spot on......

Marc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Trend UK
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Woodcraft Workshop
Chris Tribe Furniture
Toolstream Triton