By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Evening Classes

Post any upcoming classes please

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Passmore12/11/2008 17:30:00
2 forum posts
i've been doing my nut trying to find evening classes in bristol. it's a nightmare. does anyone know any where near bristol that do evening classes?
Olly Parry-Jones12/11/2008 23:37:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Hi Alan,

Have you had a look at Filton College? There isn't a lot of information there but, it's closest I've seen to an evening 'woodworking' course in Bristol.

If you're in to woodturning, you could try the Avon & Bristol Woodturners. I think they might be based at Portishead, although Filton is mentioned somewhere on their website.

I've come across several short courses in the Bristol/Bath area but, these are all during the day. I cannot recall seeing anything like an evening course.

Conor ONeill13/11/2008 09:19:00
71 forum posts
126 photos

Hi Alan!

I used to live in Bristol and also found it difficult to find woodwork classes tehre (and no, before anyone asks, that's not the reason I moved to Newcastle... I moved beacuse of the weather... )

As mentioned above Filton College run courses.

Also, Bristol City Council have an adult learning prospectus that has a (yes, only one) woodwork class mentioned. Prospectus Here

From my own experience I found that classes filled-up extremely quickly and I always seemed to miss out. Best of luck with the hunt, and if you find any more details please post them here.

Conor.

Lee J08/12/2008 12:33:00
156 forum posts
31 photos

anything in Yorkshire?

I would love to do an evening class in joinery/carpentry etc.

Jeremy Broun25/12/2008 22:17:00
36 forum posts
28 photos

I run a three-times-a-year unique "Design and make in wood" intensive 12 week evening class at my studio in Bath - 3 hrs on a Wednesday evening (6.30 - 9.30pm). In 36 hours you will undertake a highly structured integrated course that teaches key skills and will build confidence quickly. It is an "enabling" course for you to pursue your own design and make projects afterwards. Merely copying "traditional" master craftsmen is limited learning. Creative acquisition of skill leads to ceative application of skill and this course will unleash your creative potential. All I ask for is an open mind to learning (old hands get stuck in old methods) and the commitment to attend all the sessions. Drawing/sketching is integral. The course fee of £345 (2009) includes all acourse materials, a course folder, CD-Rom on the course and a copy of my award winning Encyclopedia of Woodworking Techniques. The course s based on over 40 years of my experience teaching in schools and colleges plus my own professional practice. The class size is only three students offering excellent individual attention.

Visit www.designmakewood.co.uk for further details and student testimonials. You wont learn so much in such a short time anywhere else and if you have never done woodwork before (but have a practical aptitude) you will be an ideal student!

Jamie Ward07/01/2009 16:38:00
5 forum posts
Warwickshire College (Leamington Spa) has very successful leisure and certificated courses running.

Furniture Workshop Monday (beginners), Tuesday (Intermediate/ Advanced) and Wednesday evenings (Intermediate/ Advanced)  6.15 - 9.15pm (possibility of a Thursday evening in green woodworking starting in April 2009)

Woodturning - Thursdays and Saturdays

Terms – January, April, Sept

and City And Guilds Courses also available Phone Course Administrator - 01926 318233 for more information

www.warkscol.ac.uk

Regards

Jamie Ward

Curriculum Leader Furniture Crafts at Warwickshire College

Mike Jordan12/01/2009 16:18:00
124 forum posts
13 photos

For anyone in the Derby area this may be of interest, and the cost is realistic!

http://www.derby-college.ac.uk/?pagename=parttime-students

Its furniture making foundation and intermediate. Both 10 weeks

Mike

richard griffiths17/01/2009 22:19:00
1 forum posts
Does anyone know of any beginners evening classes in the Portsmouth/Southampton area?
Jamie Ward03/02/2009 17:56:33
5 forum posts
Just to let anyone who might be interested, Warwickshire College Furniture Course is having a taster session.

Saturday March 21st 2009

Phone Naomi Heaton  01926 318233 to book a place.

This is free session to allow prospective students experience the college, the facilities on offer everyone is welcome !

Thank you for your interest.

Jamie Ward

Tommy mc glynn 103/02/2009 18:46:23
291 forum posts
1 photos
it is good to see so many night class. any irish woodworkers on the forum know of evening clsss here?
kev gillan04/03/2009 13:56:58
1 forum posts
Hi
Does anyone know of any evening classes in Manchester? I'm mostly interested in furniture making, but anything to improve my (very basic) woodwork skills would be good.

Cheers
Kev
Mark Hancock13/03/2009 13:02:29
4 forum posts
I'll be running 2  Woodturning Courses at Warwickshire College next term.

The Thursday evening course is already fully booked but there is also a Saturday course. It'll run on June 6th, 13th & 27th 9.30 to 3.30. There is also a summer school for 3 consecutive days Monday 29th June to Wednesday 1st July.

If anyone wants to know more feel free to contact me. Bear in mind it may take a couple of weeks to get back to you as I'm on my travels again.

Regards
Mark
Jamie Ward25/10/2010 21:20:30
5 forum posts

Could I point out that Warwickshire College still has its successful evening classes running? (2010-2011)

Furniture Workshop

Monday - 6.15 - 9.15pm

Tuesday - 6.15 - 9.15pm

Wednesday -6.15 - 9.15pm

Thursday - 6.15 - 9.15pm

We have students with a variety of experiences and skills who attend these evenings. We usually start those will very little or no skills off on an introductory project/s and then they are free to make (within reason) what they like. This has included chairs, cabinets, kitchen units, benches, stairs, bird boxes, tool boxes and so on………

Woodturning - Thursday evenings and Saturdays with Mark Hancock. Mark guides beginners, intermediates and advanced wood turners through their projects offering advice and support throughout.

Terms – January, April, Sept

We also have City and Guilds Courses and Apprenticeships available please telephone Course Administrator - 01926 318233 for more information

www.warkscol.ac.uk

Regards

Jamie Ward

Curriculum Leader Furniture Crafts at Warwickshire College

jward@warkscol.ac.uk

erin maguire10/01/2011 12:30:53
1 forum posts
i am living in edinburgh and looking for woodworking classes to attend. Unfortunately the course through adult learning is full and i am not registered. I have basic knowledge of tools, terminology and safety passed down from my finishing carpenter/wood enthusiast father! i am most interested in wood turning as well as making band saw boxes! if any one knows of any opportunity to learn, classes offfered near me or artisans willing to teach, please let me know! thank you so much
Big Al10/01/2011 17:19:51
1540 forum posts
63 photos
Have you ever watched any of the new yankee workshop, or any of the other woodworking TV shows and DVD's that are available? 

Another way of learning is to practice, set yourself a small project, say a box. It's surprising what you can learn from what may seem a simple project such as a box.

Al 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
D&M Tools
Trend UK
Chris Tribe Furniture
Woodcraft Workshop
Chippendale
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Toolstream Triton