By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Bench Belt/Disc sanders

Which to buy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Quinsee01/06/2008 16:37:00
5 forum posts

Hi all,

This is my first post on this site and I did try to use the search engine to confirm I wasn't duplicating a thread, but it doesn't appear to work. So apologies if this has been asked before.

I'm thinking of getting me a shiny benchtop Belt/Disc sander.  This is only for occasional hobby use and I've kinda narrowed it down to these three (in no particular order, like Ant & Dec say):

Axminster AS408
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=21337&name=sander&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=60

Record Power BDS150
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php?section=product&cat=35&seq=271#

Sealey SM14
http://www.sealeypower.com/item.asp?item_id=128773&gclid=CPDLk7ye05MCFRsWEAodKhQGjQ

Or maybe even the cheap-n-cheerful Clarke CS4-6C from Machinemart:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cs4-6c-belt-disc-sander/path/belt-disc-sanders-2

Anyone have any words of wisdom to help guide me into making a decent decision for the first time in my life?

Thanks in advance,
Tone

Olly Parry-Jones01/06/2008 17:38:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Hello Tony and welcome to the forum.

First thing I'd like to say is that I'm really not a fan of these cheap things. I've got one myself (Perform, now branded as Axminster) and all I've learnt from it are that there are probably better ways of getting the job done more accurately.

One would be to make a large sanding disc for your lathe, if you have one. Baz has just uploaded some photo's of his effort if you have a look for it.

Alternatively, if you have a portable belt sander, you can fix it side-on to a sheet of MDF, as Mike Garnham has done (have a look in his gallery). Both methods will give you extra capacity as well as more accuracy.

Cheap machines like these are generally not worth wasting your money on. The table isn't flat and flexes under weight. The upper fence is neither flat or square to the belt. And not only are these machines quite irritatingly noisy, but the belts run out of true as well.

If I had to choose between those models though, I'd go for the Record, due to the five-year guarentee. I don't think there's gonna be much between them really. They all look pretty similar and you'd probably find that a couple of them were manufactured in the same factory in the Far East anyway.

Here's the link for Baz's lathe and you'll find some shots of Mike's belt sander here.

Hope this helps.

Tony Quinsee02/06/2008 22:08:00
5 forum posts

Thanks for the reply and welcome, OPJ.  I'm a long-time lurker and first-time poster.

I don't have a lathe, and my belt-sander sucks hugely (it was an impulse purchase from Makro which I won't repeat), hence why I'm looking at the products I listed.

I think I'll go for the Record and see what I can do to beef up the bracketing for the table, plus the upper fence.  I'm not totally useless with metal and might be able to improve them somewhat.

Thanks again for the advice,
Tone

Bill Lehan25/08/2008 22:24:00
1 forum posts
Hello Tone, I have exactly the same problem! Which machine did you choose and are you pleased with it?
Ralph Harvey26/08/2008 10:31:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Tony

I recently bought the Newtool version quite cheap of ebay and you do get what you pay for, one thing i would say is check what the disc sander takes Hook and loop or sticky back, only the latter are hard to get hold of i had to go to Axminster to get some.

Like Olly says they are on the whole the same machine but if you compensate and set angles with a square you can get a reasonable finish.

Best of luck with which ever one you choose and give us a product review when you try it out

Ralph

Tony Quinsee26/08/2008 12:41:00
5 forum posts

Hi Bill,

I've still yet to purchase - I've had a spot of illness, plus staff problems, plus work coming in too fast and I just haven't had the time yet.

It'll probably be the Record though, when I do finally purchase 

Regards,
Tone

John Baddeley21/11/2008 12:04:00
41 forum posts
2 photos

Hi everyone, I've just joined the site, so please excuse any newbie gaffs!

Is this thread still 'alive' as I would like to pose exactly the question that Tony did...

I wasn't intending to spend more than 150ukp, but would going for the Axminster A2WEBD610 provide the sturdiness missing in the cheaper machines,  or are they ok really?

TIA, John

Woodworker21/11/2008 12:11:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles

Hi John, welcome to the forum.

I can't find the Axminster model you mention. Could you provide a link please?

Cheers,
Ben

Tony Quinsee21/11/2008 12:41:00
5 forum posts

Hi Ben,

I'm pretty sure John means this one.

Regards,
Tone

John Baddeley21/11/2008 12:48:00
41 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Ben

Yes, sorry, I missed a letter out of the model no.

Tony is right - that's the one I was wondering about.

Where have you got to Tony? Have you bought, or been put off buying within your budget?

John

Tony Quinsee21/11/2008 12:58:00
5 forum posts

Hi John,

No, I've not bought - I've kind of been put off until I can actually get my hands on one somewhere to see if I think I can 'rigidify' (no, I know that's not a word) the guides. 

I simply don't have the space (nor really the budget) for a decent floor-standing model, so it'll either be the Record (or similar) or nothing.

In the mean time I'm still too busy at work for much woodworking when I get home, so it's dropped down my list of priorities.

Cheers,
Tone

John Baddeley21/11/2008 13:31:00
41 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Tone

Thanks - not sure how soon I'll buy either.

> I'm still too busy at work for much woodworking when I get home...

I know the feeling 

John

Toothy22/11/2008 14:46:00
458 forum posts
67 photos

Hi All

About 5yrs ago I bought a Ryobi machine. Among the problems, the only major one was the belt bed which was not flat/even. This I majorly corrected by runnig a 100grit belt inside out and applying pressure with a sheet of melamine faced chipboard. All others were a matter of "adjustments". I use a 'glue stick' (what the kids use for papercraft) for glueing the disc on. As this is water soluble it cleans easily as a bonus.

Make shure that you have a dust extraction port and that it works - may need modifying to make it work better though. Check also to see that the bearings can be replaced as saw dust (and metal dust) can be abrasive with slide bearings.

Toothy

lucy ajones23/10/2017 05:59:01
7 forum posts

welcome to the forum.

Remember this whole and this model once you would like a reliable, versatile and overall sturdy tool. The sebaceous cyst 6502 is one among the most effective disc sanders once you wish to realize a sleek end and complete sanding quickly and simply. it's acceptable for several totally different sanding and sprucing comes. operating with this one are a breeze as a result of it's light-weight (considering all the components, the fabric it’s product of still because the functions it has). It’s equipped with a sturdy and robust four.3-Amp 1/2 HP motor, which is able to give a comfortable quantity of power to complete even larger many works. It comes with the choice to alter between totally different modes of labor and grits of sandpaper, that may be a real time saver. The disc encompasses a diameter of vi inches, that is a wonderful choice once it involves desperate to sand or polish massive surfaces. together with the disc power tool itself, this one comes with a miter gauge that may change you to faithfully and exactly sand on angulate surfaces. The manufacturer has supplementary a stop bar for added user safety. there's a pair of.25-inch mud port that may change you to attach this disc power tool to a mud collector. Steady sanding on angulate edges, a stop bar for safety and management, and a 2.25 in. mud port to attach a mud extractor build this tool a good alternative. Grab this if you wish to avoid wasting some cash as opposition our 1st alternative and needed a stationary choice.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Chris Tribe Furniture
Triton
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact