By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

DeWalt DW62 Circular saw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Pickering16/04/2009 23:53:42
5 forum posts
This saw came fitted with a coarse ripping blade which gives a rather rough finish.

I therefore bought a finer blade, an Erbauer 40 tooth D184, Z40, H18.

Although this blade works well with MDF it stalls and burns with pine and plywood.

Could this be an incorrect  blade for this type of saw?
Olly Parry-Jones17/04/2009 09:06:35
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Hi John,

What operations are you performing with this blade fitted? 40t makes for a decent cross-cutting blade but, depending on the thickness of timber you are cutting, it may be too fine for some ripping work. Then again, I think most combination blades (rip and crosscut) are about 40t as well.

Are you giving your work pieces full support? Particularly with sheets of ply, which can flap around all over the place and bind on the blade...

I'm not familiar with the quality of  Erbauer blades. I usually recommend Freud (available from Toolstation and Rutlands) or CMT from Axminster. Even Axminster's Axcalibur range represent good value for money. If you're still having problems, it might be worth giving one of them a try?
Malc17/04/2009 16:30:53
411 forum posts
63 photos
John,
   Further to what Olly has said, if you can get hold of a Freud catalogue there is lots of information in it explaining what blade (number of teeth etc.) should be ideal for any given task.
Worth a look.
Malc.
Big Al17/04/2009 17:34:07
1584 forum posts
69 photos
I alway's use freud blades as they are good value for money.

When you say that the saw stalls is the motor still spinning or is it jamming in the timber? A 40 tooth blade should cut softwood and plywood with no problem. How much work have you done with the blade? 

I would suggest either having your blade sharpened, or replacing it with a 30 tooth blade and see if you have the same problem. If the problem persists then the tool could be at fault, but I would have thought that the fault probably lies with the blade.

Al 
John Pickering19/04/2009 23:53:06
5 forum posts
Many thanks for your replies OPJ, Malc and Big Al

The blade seems to burn the wood even when cross cutting pine and it did so from new.  Maybe it was too ambitious to use a 40t blade.  I think I will try the 30 tooth Freud blade you recommended.
Derek Lane20/04/2009 14:49:56
3108 forum posts
943 photos
Another thing with any blade is the feed rate that you put the saw through the material, if you try to go to fast it can cause this problem
Olly Parry-Jones20/04/2009 17:17:59
2776 forum posts
636 photos
One other thought - are you cutting freehand or against a straight edge? I'd assume you're using some kind of guide. If not then, it is possibly you're going slightly off track and this is causing the blade to bind.
Kurt Jackson02/11/2017 10:19:22
1 forum posts

I know this is kind of an old thread but I saw this on Craigslist and I'm interested to give it a try. Although originally, I plan to purchase a new one, just deciding between a Dewalt one and a Skil (here). I wonder if other Dewalt models have this blade issue like John. Might go get the Skil in the end.

Derek Lane02/11/2017 19:11:20
3108 forum posts
943 photos
Posted by Kurt Jackson on 02/11/2017 10:19:22:

I know this is kind of an old thread but I saw this on Craigslist and I'm interested to give it a try. Although originally, I plan to purchase a new one, just deciding between a Dewalt one and a Skil (here). I wonder if other Dewalt models have this blade issue like John. Might go get the Skil in the end.

I own a Skil saw and find it does everything that I ask. But I do not use it that much due to the type of woodwork that i do mainly toy/model making, turning and carving not so much of the last one but still enjoy doing it.

I also use to work in a tool hire and sales place and sold many of the Skil saws over other makes with very little complaints about the machine. You will always find someone who can't use tools correctly which was what most of the problems were

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Chris Tribe Furniture
Triton
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact