Which is best and can anybody recommend a good value one

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Matthew Platt05/03/2008 09:16:00
347 forum posts
9 photos

Hi Andy,

Welcome aboard!

Thats a seriously useful looking router lathe in your gallery.

Cheers,

Matthew

www.workshopheaven.com

Andy Bell05/03/2008 10:38:00
156 forum posts
43 photos

Hi Baz,

It sounds like my judgment of belt sanders being a bit rough and ready could be clouded by my experiance with a "cheap n nasty" tool that I've used. I get the feeling your collective experience can teach me alot.

Thanks Andy

Olly Parry-Jones06/03/2008 19:32:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Mike Garnham wrote (see)
.....and he used to stick the sand-paper on with some black gunk that came on a stick (from memory about an inch or so in diameter and wrapped in paper).

Anybody any idea what that black gunk might have been?

Mike, I noticed in their catalogue that Tilgear sell an affordable adhesive for sticking and easily-removing sanding discs, if you're interested?
Mike Garnham06/03/2008 19:37:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Oliver,

thanks for that.......however, I wasn't the one who got my dad's magnificent sander, so my interest was only academic. But I will go to the Tilgear site and see what the adhesive is.....thanks

Mike

A by-product of this discussion is that this is far and away the most popular string ever on this site, and a couple more entries will take us past 50! 

Keith McCarthy14/03/2008 07:19:00
13 forum posts

Belt sanders can be pretty aggressive, and dig a trench quite readily if you're not careful.

Randon orbit sanders are much easier to control, and can remove a lot of material readily (using 40 or 60 grit paper) or create a beautifully even, scratch free surface if you progress carefully through the grits up to 150 or 200 or even finer.  Mine is a Bosch PEX400, which I think has just been superceded by a newer version.  Performance is excellent, dust collection good, and it won't break the bank.

Keith McCarthy (in Australia).

Mike Garnham14/03/2008 07:49:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

They can be aggressive, but a poorly used hammer can be more aggressive. Yet you wouldn't expect to find a workshop without a hammer....... It is all about skill and understanding the capabilities of the tool.

Anyway Keith, welcome to the site, and many thanks for taking this thread to the 50-mark!!

What part of Aus are you from? I have 2 brothers in Perth and have lived in Perth, Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney in my time.......there is usually a bit more room for a workshop in Australia than we have over here with our tiny plots! 

Mike 

derek willis14/03/2008 09:04:00
2314 forum posts
1 articles

Can there be any more to say?

D.

Nancy Brown 114/04/2018 06:25:23
12 forum posts

It depends which purpose you want to use. When smoothing large, flat surfaces, especially really rough ones, nothing beats the high speed and brute strength of a belt sander.

A random Orbit sander is the best for finishing.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Chris Tribe Furniture
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact