By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Rippled pot

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Derek Lane13/02/2018 15:49:34
3136 forum posts
954 photos

This piece with the ripples was from a tutorial of ripple surface effect by Dennis Gooding on another site his was a random ripple and he got a 50% success rate so I was pretty pleased to have managed to complete this on my first but then I did cheat to get mine to ripple and in a more uniform way

Edited By Derek Lane on 13/02/2018 15:50:21

Jason Denby16/02/2018 17:25:51
14 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Derek Lane on 13/02/2018 15:49:34:

This piece with the ripples was from a tutorial of ripple surface effect by Dennis Gooding on another site his was a random ripple and he got a 50% success rate so I was pretty pleased to have managed to complete this on my first but then I did cheat to get mine to ripple and in a more uniform way

Edited By Derek Lane on 13/02/2018 15:50:21

Lovely piece of work again Derek, I’m intrigued as to how you have achieved this though!!

Derek Lane16/02/2018 21:00:41
3136 forum posts
954 photos

It was turned wet and then allowed to dry which causes the ripples but for some reason this did not totally work so I then poured boiling water over with the result of only half of the fins rippling. I got my wife to buy some wooden cloths pegs which I split into half and again poured boiling water over the fins and inserted the tapered end of the pegs so that it produced the pattern you see here. They stayed in until the wood was dry again. The pot needed a very light skim to straighten the sides, then the finish was applied.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Chris Tribe Furniture
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact