By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Record Power BS9 or BS250?

Which of thes two band saws to choose?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Banjoman19/11/2017 12:52:48
5 forum posts

Hello,

As this is my first post to the forum, please let me first of all introduce myself! My name is Mattias, I live in Belgium, and I am not primarily a woodworker but a builder of model boats – a pursuit that of course involves a fair amount of woodwork, but at a much smaller scale, where what in full size is usually measured in inches tends to be counted in the same number of millimetres ...

This notwithstanding, I hope that the community here won't mind me asking the occasional question?!

Anyway, earlier this year my wife and I moved house, one consequence of which was that I now have a very nice and roomy basement workshop, in which I will be able to fit in both more and larger tools and other equipment than what was the case in my previous work space.

I am therefore looking to replace my current, very small hobby bandsaw, a Proxxon Micro MBS 240, **LINK**, with a regular table top one.

I have been giving this quite some thought over the last few months, including the option of going for a larger, floor-mounted 14" saw. However, given (a) my limited usual needs (cf. above!), (b) the depth of my pockets (which is reasonable but not unlimited), and (c) the length of the list of other tools I also have my eyes very firmly on, I have decided not to go down this route for now.

Further research has then led me to the point where I intend to place an order this Friday, November 24th (I am of course waiting for said date just in case any of the German web tool shops from which I have been known to buy before now should decide to come up with any Black Friday offers), for either a Record Power BS9 or a Record Power BS250.

On many counts, the BS250 is of course the more interesting machine, being slightly bigger, with better maximum depth of cut and throat depth, and a slighly larger (and cast iron) table. It also has the advantage of taking a slightly wider maximum size blade (1/2" rather than 3/8", but at the other end of things the disadvantage (from the model builder's perspective) of a minimum blade size of 1/4" instead of the 1/8" that'll fit on the BS9. And then the BS9 has the added attraction of a tension quick release, and of course of a lower price.

The minimum blade size is, I'd say, less important, as I am mainly after a machine for doing straight or mildly curved cuts, while for really small radius curved cuts I already have a scroll saw.

I am, however, after one that would allow me to resaw and cut veneers from smaller size stuff. I am explicitely not talking about resawing logs or any other form of larger timbers. The sizes of raw material that I have in mind would start out maybe 4" by 4" and a few feet long, tops, and often enough be (or, as work progresses, become) smaller or even much smaller. Typical woods would include maple, pear and boxwood, and of course no end of smaller size birch plywoods, from 0.5 to maybe 5 or 6 mm thick.

In other words, the really important factor for me is reliable small-size precision within the limits of reasonably achievable set-up and operator (in)competence.

I'd be most grateful for any comments to the above, and in particular to any input based on personal experience of either the BS9, the BS250 or both.

Many thanks in advance and kind regards,

Mattias

Derek Lane19/11/2017 13:24:59
3114 forum posts
945 photos

Hello and welcome Mattias.

I use to build model boats as well but went into woodwork I still build models and I use a floor standing machine which can take a minimum blade of 1/4". But then I also cut larger pieces as I also do woodturning and prepare blanks from logs.

I can't comment on what the two machines are like having never owned either of them but as long as the larger of the two sizes suits your needs then go for that even if it does not take the smaller of the blades. You will not want to resaw very thin as the wood will need sanding or planing to clean it up before use.

To give an idea at the wood I have cut on mine take a look at these two models I recently made some of the wood is as small as 1/16"(sorry still measure in imperial).

This model half track is 19 1/2" long to give an idea of scale and the second one again is about the same length.

dscf8268 (800x576).jpgdscf7230.jpg

Ron Davis19/11/2017 20:04:00
1565 forum posts
201 photos

I am with Derek on this, get the bigger one,

Ron

Banjoman20/11/2017 08:54:38
5 forum posts

Warmest thanks, Derek and Ron, for your kind replies and for your advice! I am indeed more inclined to go for the BS250 -- the minimum blade size is not something that really worries me. It's a bit of a pity that the the BS250 does not have the tension quick release that the BS9 does, but that shouldn't be a deal-breaker either, should it?!

Well, I have until Friday to mull it over ...

Also, please let me say, Derek, that those wooden models are absolutely fantastic! A lovely level of detailing, and exquisite workmanship! I take my hat off and stand in awe!

Mattias

Derek Lane20/11/2017 17:11:16
3114 forum posts
945 photos

Thank you Mattias, the problem with wood is the grain especially when making small parts.

I don't think it will make a lot of difference having a quick release tensioner especially if you use the saw on a very regular basis. I only ever touch mine when changing blades

Wilf.T29/11/2017 16:29:19
6 forum posts
I know this reply is late. I strongely recommend that you choose (or chosen) a machine with a cast bed. Pressed ones can affect the accuracy of the work you do.
I would also have suggested buying the 12" machine rather than the 10" just for the extra power.
Anyway I hope you enjoy using which machine you finally decided on.

Edited By Wilf.T on 29/11/2017 16:30:01

Banjoman04/12/2017 08:28:10
5 forum posts

Thank you, Wilf.T; I can report that I did in the end decide to go for the BS250 and am currently awaiting delivery; I have also ordered some blades from Tuff Saws (to be precise a 1/2" SuperTuff Premium 3/4 Vari-Tooth, a 3/8" M42 Wood Cutting 10/14 Vari-Tooth, and a 1/4" M42 Wood Cutting also 10/14 Vari-Tooth), which arrived already last week.

I would indeed much have preferred a larger saw, preferably a 14", but my primary need to go as easy as I could on the expense in order to be able to buy other tools as well within a reasonable time span (my shopping list is quite long!) meant that compromise was inevitable. The BS250 should do me well enough, I think, for the next, say three or four years, after which I hope to have gotten far enough down said shopping list to be able to make free the necessary funds for an upgrade to a larger saw.

In any case, compared to my current Proxxon micro bandsaw, I'm sure the BS250 will seem gigantic ...

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 04/12/2017 08:28:48

Banjoman04/12/2017 08:54:06
5 forum posts

Only a short note to add that I have just now been contacted by the shipping agent, and that delivery of the saw is confirmed for Wednesday

Mattias

Ron Davis04/12/2017 17:55:10
1565 forum posts
201 photos

You won't go wrong with Tuffsaws, brilliant firm

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 04/12/2017 17:55:48

lucy ajones06/12/2017 05:20:01
9 forum posts

product arrived slightly damaged, the bottom door was warped and not on the machine, when I replaced it the machine would not work because of the warp in the door, i managed to gently twist the door into a position so that the cut off switch was engaged, the blade strangely was also broken! I thought not to send the machine back just because of this as I usually use a different size blade, machine works well with new blade so breakage must remain a mystery, packaging did not show any sign of damage

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Chris Tribe Furniture
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact